GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 14 19, 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Election
PostPosted: March 14 19, 3:28 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Beto is lame as hell. He and the pod save boys are perfect for each other. No wonder they produced his pathetic looking HBO doc. Built in a beltway lab to be ciphers for corporate liberalism.

PostPosted: March 14 19, 4:00 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I don't think he is intellectual enough. I think he picked apart pretty easy by a narrative. Also, if his strengths are charisma and celebrity without policy or natural intelligence (if this election has an anti-Trump tilt to it), his traits might mirror Trump's closer than other candidates.

PostPosted: March 14 19, 4:24 pm 
Hall Of Famer

UK wrote:
I'm torn on Beto...

Positives:
Able to steal Texas from GOP

Beto just lost to an R who is about as likeable as diphtheria in an election where nationally the D's were as energized as any point in my lifetime (and I'm pretty old). Maybe he can swing Georgia or North Carolina, but there's not much hope in Texas.

PostPosted: March 14 19, 6:20 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

So is the GRB stance that Beto is basically Obama Lite?

PostPosted: March 14 19, 7:17 pm 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:

O'Rourke's friendly relations with Big Oil make him more problematic than any of Obama's dalliances. Also, does O'Rourke have anything like the Iraq vote? That played a role in Obama's primary victory over Hillary.

PostPosted: March 14 19, 7:32 pm 
Hall Of Famer

These were back to back in my Facebook feed:

Paste - Beto O'Rourke Is the Candidate For Vapid Morons

The Onion - Beto O’Rourke Announces He Starting Obama Cover Campaign

PostPosted: March 14 19, 10:47 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

33anda3rd wrote:

Beto wishes he was Obama lite. Obama was a intellectual heavy weight. Yeah he was frustrating at times but Obama was beyond capable. I think Beto is charismatic and that's it.

PostPosted: March 15 19, 7:51 am 
Hall Of Famer

a bit cringey

PostPosted: March 15 19, 8:55 am 
bronoun enthusiast

I think he overestimates how much his national fame came because he is photogenic, has an interesting, non-typical politician's background, and he was running against the second most hated politician in America. I don't think many non-texans who wanted him to win were watching his speeches/appearances or examining his platform all that closely.

He'll wilt under the lights.

And I figured out why I dislike him so much. He's Gen X offering us millennials a glimpse into the future when our politicians will rise using the language and signifiers of white, alternative/progressive culture while offering nothing of actual substance based on the principles behind that cultural movement. He idolizes Ian Mackaye but embraces the ruling class. All style, no substance, and a hidden betrayal of the values he grew up espousing. It's coming for our generation too. It comes for everyone's. The rock star politician of the generation that cared more than any other about superficial "authenticity" is completely superficial and inauthentic. Dude can't give a straight answer to specific questions to save his life and there's a reason for that.

PostPosted: March 15 19, 9:24 am 
Hall Of Famer

thrill wrote:
And I figured out why I dislike him so much. He's Gen X offering us millennials a glimpse into the future when our politicians will rise using the language and signifiers of white, alternative/progressive culture while offering nothing of actual substance based on the principles behind that cultural movement. He idolizes Ian Mackaye but embraces the ruling class. All style, no substance, and a hidden betrayal of the values he grew up espousing. It's coming for our generation too. It comes for everyone's. The rock star politician of the generation that cared more than any other about superficial "authenticity" is completely superficial and inauthentic. Dude can't give a straight answer to specific questions to save his life and there's a reason for that.

HE'S A SELLOUT!

That's all you needed to say. Gen X's defining characteristic is they knew that selling out was bad. Virtually all of them sold out anyway because there was no other choice. Some would then try to justify their decision afterwards. So while my generation was able to figure out that selling out is bad, they were unable to figure out that, hey, maybe we should change this system so we aren't faced with this awful choice between selling out or not eating. Millennials are starting to get an inkling that it might be possible to change this system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 121  Next