GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 7 19, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 98  Next
PostPosted: March 19 19, 10:02 am 
Perennial All-Star

I've quoted the most poignant section of the article below, though I recommend reading it all.

Quote:
'It's over': Miami Beach tries to outrace climate change's rising seas

While Jean Marie Echemendia, a 42 year-old realtor who splits her time between Manhattan and Miami Beach, believes in climate change — she notes that she has purchased two Teslas to cut her carbon footprint — she also thinks that worries over sea level rise are overblown. She was among the residents who pushed back on the two-tiered plan.

“Am I afraid that water is going to totally engulf our streets like they’re picturing? No, I’m not. I don’t think it’s going to be in our lifetime,” Echmendia says.

The Union of Concerned Scientists, among others, disagree. In a 2018 study the group found that flooding exacerbated by sea level rise will, by the year 2045, threaten 12,095 homes in Miami Beach valued at $6.4 billion.

By the end of the century, nationwide losses are projected to top $1 trillion, including damage to an estimated 2.4 million homes. With the scale of the coming disruption almost too large to comprehend, NOAA has built a website that lets users glimpse the inundated future on coastal maps and toggle up a dystopian amount of sea level rise.

For Miami Beach, just 2 additional feet subsumes much of the west side of the island, including North Bay Road. Add another 4 feet and all but a sliver of the land where the city’s art deco masterpieces were built is covered in blue.

“That’s if we do nothing,” Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber says, adding that there’s little time to waste. “If you wait for 10 or 15 years to start it, that’s a mistake.”

https://news.yahoo.com/its-over-miami-beach-tries-to-outrace-climate-change-and-the-rising-seas-160000886.html

PostPosted: March 19 19, 11:41 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Sometimes when I see this thread get a bump I wonder if the OP still believes his nonsense or if he's come around on the issue. Unfortunately I always assume the latter and figure he's a rapid Joe Rogan fan who thinks Eddy Bravo and the flat earthers are the real truth tellers in our society and he surely votes Trump.

Hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: March 19 19, 11:54 am 
Hall Of Famer

mikechamp wrote:
I've quoted the most poignant section of the article below, though I recommend reading it all.

Quote:
'It's over': Miami Beach tries to outrace climate change's rising seas

While Jean Marie Echemendia, a 42 year-old realtor who splits her time between Manhattan and Miami Beach, believes in climate change — she notes that she has purchased two Teslas to cut her carbon footprint — she also thinks that worries over sea level rise are overblown. She was among the residents who pushed back on the two-tiered plan.

“Am I afraid that water is going to totally engulf our streets like they’re picturing? No, I’m not. I don’t think it’s going to be in our lifetime,” Echmendia says.

The Union of Concerned Scientists, among others, disagree. In a 2018 study the group found that flooding exacerbated by sea level rise will, by the year 2045, threaten 12,095 homes in Miami Beach valued at $6.4 billion.

By the end of the century, nationwide losses are projected to top $1 trillion, including damage to an estimated 2.4 million homes. With the scale of the coming disruption almost too large to comprehend, NOAA has built a website that lets users glimpse the inundated future on coastal maps and toggle up a dystopian amount of sea level rise.

For Miami Beach, just 2 additional feet subsumes much of the west side of the island, including North Bay Road. Add another 4 feet and all but a sliver of the land where the city’s art deco masterpieces were built is covered in blue.

“That’s if we do nothing,” Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber says, adding that there’s little time to waste. “If you wait for 10 or 15 years to start it, that’s a mistake.”

https://news.yahoo.com/its-over-miami-beach-tries-to-outrace-climate-change-and-the-rising-seas-160000886.html

Rich people driving Teslas telling us that the city's plan to protect their vacation homes from the actual rising ocean is not good enough. What a country we have built.

Is the long-term plan to end up with roads that are like 8 or 10 feet higher than the sidewalks and buildings? It just does not seem like a great long-term plan. It's a stopgap to delay the inevitable. And even then, this stopgap is still extremely expensive. Poor coastal areas like New Orleans and probably other parts of Florida are going to be utterly screwed.

PostPosted: March 19 19, 3:20 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

The lady next to me on the airplane- talking to window seat guy- said “yeah, yeah, i want to save the whales too but cmon...” when climate change- okay, Dems- came up in their convo.

I resisted the temptation to interject.

PostPosted: March 19 19, 4:24 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Not a good winter for famers.

If you read that entire piece you will not see the phrases "climate change" or "global warming."

PostPosted: March 19 19, 9:53 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

33anda3rd wrote:

If you read that entire piece you will not see the phrases "climate change" or "global warming."

Global warming or not (I of course know global warming is real) 2018 was bad for farmers, 2019 is going to be catastrophic. There is so much water to come down the rivers this year it's going to be insane. We are already behind on field work because the fall and winter were so wet. This is the case everywhere in the midwest. There are many farms with the 2018 crop still in the field. We are basically just expecting to be flooded this year. We've done a ton of work to our levee system here to beef it up, but when predictions of "higher than 93" get thrown around you can just bet it's a loss.

If we get flooded we are done. Not bankrupt but we are getting out. With this administration there's basically no hope of any actual relief or help in any real meaningful way. Plus the environmental groups already make things like improving your flood fighting techniques impossible. So we will be getting it from the far left and the far right. It's basically time to say [expletive] it.

It's funny, all over the internet Democrats are cheering the farmers plight this year saying we all deserve it. The ironic thing is every one of the farms that go out of business gets bought up by a much larger corporate farm. Which the democrats cry and [expletive] about.

PostPosted: March 19 19, 10:17 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

IMADreamer wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

Global warming or not (I of course know global warming is real) 2018 was bad for farmers, 2019 is going to be catastrophic. There is so much water to come down the rivers this year it's going to be insane. We are already behind on field work because the fall and winter were so wet. This is the case everywhere in the midwest. There are many farms with the 2018 crop still in the field. We are basically just expecting to be flooded this year. We've done a ton of work to our levee system here to beef it up, but when predictions of "higher than 93" get thrown around you can just bet it's a loss.

If we get flooded we are done. Not bankrupt but we are getting out. With this administration there's basically no hope of any actual relief or help in any real meaningful way. Plus the environmental groups already make things like improving your flood fighting techniques impossible. So we will be getting it from the far left and the far right. It's basically time to say [expletive] it.

It's funny, all over the internet Democrats are cheering the farmers plight this year saying we all deserve it. The ironic thing is every one of the farms that go out of business gets bought up by a much larger corporate farm. Which the democrats cry and [expletive] about.

Honest question -What improved flood fighting techniques are being limited?

And why worry about democrats on the internet, when dems have very little power in real world govt.

PostPosted: March 19 19, 10:23 pm 

The whole thing is trashed': Damaged levees along Missouri River could cost billions to fix

article about levees being wiped out in NE and IA

PostPosted: March 20 19, 8:05 am 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

Honest question -What improved flood fighting techniques are being limited?

And why worry about democrats on the internet, when dems have very little power in real world govt.

There are Democrats on the left that assume all farmers voted Trump, and so they are saying "this is what you voted for" as farmers are going bankrupt. I don't know if I'd call that "cheering", but it is not going to win any votes. And I'm definitely not cheering because my job could be impacted eventually too. Farming is just yet another area where neither side is offering a good set of policies that would actually solve the problems we face.

I have heard stories about the environmental regulations and hoops farmers have to jump through. And my understanding is there isn't much difference in this regard between a red state like Iowa and a blue state like Illinois. IMO the tight environmental regulations are in place to try to prevent things like runoff and to try to preserve the land so it can continue to bring in tax revenue in the future. I know, I know, farmers are also concerned about the long term viability of their land. I don't know what the solution is - it seems to me like the regulation is well-intentioned but burdensome.

PostPosted: March 20 19, 10:05 am 

That propaganda and labeling of all dems as environmental loons, farm-hating, regulation-loving dumb [expletive] has been effective, where even Democrats accept this.

One of biggest environmentalist dems I know has farm background. I also have a GOP farm relative by marriage that pissed away 100s of thousands on legal fees (my mother in-laws inheritance frankly) fighting wind farm. He is big into wind farm opposition. He got busted for dumping oil from machinery out back (ran a drain line, crazy as that sounds).

the dude worked his arse off his whole life, so maybe he feels entitled to use the easiest most efficient ways- be it whatever pesticide and bovine hormones etc is available. Oddly his father was a Dem of sorts (from land of Harry Truman, and lived thru FDR Great depression)

It is this all or nothing good bad adversarial [expletive] that kills us on climate change and environmental stuff. i.e regulation is all bad and internet democrats! so hand everything over to Corp lobbyists and CAFO that buy GOP.

The regs and govt should be working with the farmers, perhaps subsidizing efforts on land management environmental concerns.

It is no coincidence that farming is hard by major water sources. There is an inherent larger obligation to the world that exceeds a farm operation's capacity.
....I'm still going..... I know this gets labeled into creepy [expletive] about commie govt land control etc, though does it have to be that way?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 98  Next