GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 21 19, 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: cops
PostPosted: August 26 19, 12:46 pm 
Everyday Player

Tough job

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... 0d0a1.html

PostPosted: August 26 19, 1:49 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

33anda3rd wrote:
The NYPD murderer who murdered Eric Garner got fired, and the union is protesting

Among the beefs of the union cops:

Quote:
it shouldn't just be Pantaleo getting fired, it should be the person who ordered them to make the arrest. The only reason Pantaleo went out there was because he was ordered to do so.

Ordered him to make the arrest does not = choke him to death, far as I know. I mean, I haven't read the manual or been through training but I'd doubt "go arrest a guy selling loosies" can't be construed to "go commit literal murder."

Yeah, the reaction seems totally unwarranted given that Pantaleo choked a man to death who was unarmed and committing a misdemeanor. One can conclude police feel that deadly violence against unarmed people is such a routine part of the job that it was just another day at the office. The police unions seem to think that unless the public gives them unfettered license to brutalize people they can't do their job effectively. This is probably because, since forever, the public has in fact given them that license.

PostPosted: August 26 19, 6:27 pm 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
The NYPD murderer who murdered Eric Garner got fired, and the union is protesting

Among the beefs of the union cops:

Quote:
it shouldn't just be Pantaleo getting fired, it should be the person who ordered them to make the arrest. The only reason Pantaleo went out there was because he was ordered to do so.

Ordered him to make the arrest does not = choke him to death, far as I know. I mean, I haven't read the manual or been through training but I'd doubt "go arrest a guy selling loosies" can't be construed to "go commit literal murder."

Yeah, the reaction seems totally unwarranted given that Pantaleo choked a man to death who was unarmed and committing a misdemeanor. One can conclude police feel that deadly violence against unarmed people is such a routine part of the job that it was just another day at the office. The police unions seem to think that unless the public gives them unfettered license to brutalize people they can't do their job effectively. This is probably because, since forever, the public has in fact given them that license against the right part of the populace.

FTFY.
Imagine if it was a white kid chocked to death in front of a Walmart after shoplifting. Or a white guy in a tie picked up for misdemeanor pot possession.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 9:30 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

All i can do is keep sharing and hope people realize that the problem is bigger than they had previously thought

PostPosted: August 29 19, 9:32 am 
Replies Authoritatively

lukethedrifter wrote:
All i can do is keep sharing and hope people realize that the problem is bigger than they had previously thought

I agree with you 100%....but, why were they just gathering around?

I agree with you 100%....but, tough job.

I agree with you 100%...but.....eh, you get the point.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 1:19 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Police misconduct lawsuits cost taxpayers a fortune.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/police-misconduct-settlements_n_7423386
For Example
Quote:
Baltimore Sun reports that the $5.7 million in taxpayer funds paid out to settle police misconduct cases between 2011 and 2014

Need to find something more current than the above. Civil lawsuits with out of court settlements aren't always easy to track. For example, how much did Stockley cost us, and the aftermath beatdown by police on protestors, journalists, bystanders etc?

Lawsuits are really the only recourse against police misconduct. Do the police pay up personally? No, other than sometimes losing their job.

While I guess it is good the injured or family of gets money-it does little for providing justice.
And FWIW Lawsuits -can be a cottage industry for attorneys, just angling for settlements - no intent on taking it to trial.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 1:38 pm 
The Last Word

lukethedrifter wrote:

You're going out of your way to make a point that everyone has already conceded. There are some awful human beings out there, and some of them are on the police force. No doubt.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 1:59 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Socnorb11 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

You're going out of your way to make a point that everyone has already conceded. There are some awful human beings out there, and some of them are on the police force. No doubt.

Socnorb11 wrote:
As I said before, every single instance has its own story that has to be considered. I will not make blanket statements about police officers.

That is a lot of what this thread has been, a series of single instances (mostly limited to stuff caught on tape), that arguably may (or may not) add up to something else.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 4:07 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Socnorb11 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

Just a series of unfortunate (and unconnected) events

PostPosted: August 29 19, 4:40 pm 
just can't quit you.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cops-called-to-shut-down-kids-lemonade-stand-buy-drinks-instead-200928944.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2860 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286  Next