GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 9 19, 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: North Korea
PostPosted: April 4 13, 12:21 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I had to look it up, but "brigandish" might be my favorite new word now.

PostPosted: December 22 14, 3:00 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

NK may or may not have hacked Sony, today NK's internet was hacked with a DDOS attack. That may or may not have been the US, or some bored teenagers on Christmas break. NK says if the US responded to the Sony hack they would attack the US.

Of course that's laughable, but still. What happens next? Stay tuned on the next episode of the crazy fat man and his starving people.

PostPosted: April 13 15, 1:50 pm 
Coiner of CarPegs

I tried to read Escape From Camp 14. Too sick and depressing, I may skip to the afterward or whatever. I also read the feature in this month's Wired (which led me to that book), which is a much easier read and quite interesting: http://www.wired.com/2015/03/north-korea/

PostPosted: April 13 15, 2:46 pm 
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Wanna read a great novel?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Orphan-Master ... 0812982622

PostPosted: April 13 15, 2:47 pm 

Wanna watch a weird movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flower_Girl

PostPosted: May 4 15, 10:17 am 
Coiner of CarPegs

This week's This American Life has a well-told, bizarre story of Kim Jong Il abducting his favorite SK acress and director so as to force them to remarry and make films for him. The man was insane. Interesting parallels with that Wired story, which I would recommend.

PostPosted: May 4 15, 4:58 pm 

MrSaigon wrote:
This week's This American Life has a well-told, bizarre story of Kim Jong Il abducting his favorite SK acress and director so as to force them to remarry and make films for him. The man was insane. Interesting parallels with that Wired story, which I would recommend.

Wanna read a crazy book?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/01/busin ... .html?_r=0

Read it, and I'm not completely sure whether that dude is telling the truth. He got banned from making films in South Korea not long before he disappeared.

PostPosted: May 8 15, 1:57 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

MrSaigon wrote:

Just heard it. Crazy ass story, like sci fi

PostPosted: May 8 15, 6:13 pm 

Freed Roger wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:

Yeah, I think that dude was making at least some of that up. Apparently that opinion is widely held in SK as well.

There are several NK movies available on You Tube. I've watched five or six. "The Schoolgirl's Diary" wasn't half-bad.

PostPosted: May 8 15, 6:29 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Vidor wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:

Yeah, I think that dude was making at least some of that up. Apparently that opinion is widely held in SK as well.

There are several NK movies available on You Tube. I've watched five or six. "The Schoolgirl's Diary" wasn't half-bad.

A form of Stockholm Syndrome perhaps? Not quite- that's where the bizarre sci-fi aspect comes in -guy gets kidnapped and tortured in N Korea(supposedly, I guess) then caves and he then gets the royal treatment and his favorite thing- make films, without financial restriction. Like a Twilight Zone episode is this hell or heaven? Seems like his wife was definitely a kidnap victim, not a willing participant. Anyways, it's an interesting tale - I didn't catch whether there is a book or documentary exploring it.

Last edited by Freed Roger on May 8 15, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next