GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 23 16, 11:03 pm 
Fringe Major League Player

My family in Carlilse were all saying they wanted out, don't know how their constituency voted but the north of England seems to have been generally pro Brexit. I've no doubt at all that the EU needs the UK as much if not more than the other way around and sensible compromises wiil be reached sooner rather than later.

It will be interesting to see how the independence movement in Scotland reacts, given the strong pro EU vote up there. The big concern for the EU must now be that other nations follow the United Kingdom's lead.

PostPosted: June 24 16, 2:29 am 

Here is our future Prime Minister standing in front of a big red bus with a massive lie about sending 350M a week to europe painted across it.

Now this morning, not even before 7am this was on TV.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 99906.html

I actually feel sick and genuinely worried for the future of this country. I reckon quite a few people will have voted leave on this lie and scaremongering about immigration. Now from October the Tory government will be able to change all kinds of laws without having to answer to europe.

Anyone know of any admin jobs going in the states?

PostPosted: June 24 16, 2:50 am 
Hall Of Famer

[expletive] a. This is going to reverberate in a lot of unexpected ways. President Trump will fit right in. Batten down the hatches. We're in for several years of turmoil.

PostPosted: June 24 16, 3:13 am 
Hall Of Famer

WTF Britain? I just lost all respect for you. You just ucked with my 401K big time. I feel like dick-punching the next British accent I hear and telling them to go back home - we don't need refugees from the east either.

PostPosted: June 24 16, 3:33 am 

He isn't very good at judging a mood it seems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-36599102

PostPosted: June 24 16, 5:07 am 
Hall Of Famer

People in Scotland renewing their effort to leave the UK. Ulster will probably be next. Serves the ignorant Brits right.

Probably not long before others in Europe start leaving the EU. Which means more power to Putin, Assad, et al.

"A house divided can not stand."
"We will either hang together or hang separately."

Im tired and feel like going to the house. Y'all have a nice day.

PostPosted: June 24 16, 6:02 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

IMADreamer wrote:
Can one of you smart guys explain it like I'm a child why the DOW will lose a million points tomorrow? I mean seriously how does this hurt us in the US even a little? I mean I get DOW companies obviously will operate in Europe as well but it's things like this that make me think the stock market is just one big stupid farce. I mean one week last year I lost like 7k. As far as I could tell the sky didn't fall and the earth kept turning but it took several months for my account to come out of that hole. Will thise stupid Brexit basically lose me another half a year of growth? I want a Ferrari damn it and this crap is really messing that up.

Ima, I'm far from smart but the majority of problem is fear. A lot of people hate to lose a penny and will try to pull money out when something like this happens. UK leaving destabilizes the EU. Instability = Fear.

That said the marks is due for a little bit of a correction anyway.

And there may be short and long term issues for the world's economy because of this. But this isn't the end of the free world or anything like some markets would have you believe. It most likely is bad for banks who have a large presence in England (where banking is what about 8% of gdp).

PostPosted: June 24 16, 6:06 am 
Hall Of Famer

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Can one of you smart guys explain it like I'm a child why the DOW will lose a million points tomorrow? I mean seriously how does this hurt us in the US even a little? I mean I get DOW companies obviously will operate in Europe as well but it's things like this that make me think the stock market is just one big stupid farce. I mean one week last year I lost like 7k. As far as I could tell the sky didn't fall and the earth kept turning but it took several months for my account to come out of that hole. Will thise stupid Brexit basically lose me another half a year of growth? I want a Ferrari damn it and this crap is really messing that up.

Ima, I'm far from smart but the majority of problem is fear. A lot of people hate to lose a penny and will try to pull money out when something like this happens. UK leaving destabilizes the EU. Instability = Fear.

That said the marks is due for a little bit of a correction anyway.

And there may be short and long term issues for the world's economy because of this. But this isn't the end of the free world or anything like some markets would have you believe. It most likely is bad for banks who have a large presence in England (where banking is what about 8% of gdp).

DAX down 7% and FTSE down 5 - that's better than I thought we'd see. But this is like 9/11 - its going to be felt for a looong time. Who knows where the markets will ultimately bottom?

PostPosted: June 24 16, 6:59 am 
Hall Of Famer

Never thought I'd see a reunified Ireland in my life...We might get that chance. (As well as a independent Scotland)

While the Brexit will take years to implement, all the renegotiation of trade contracts will take even longer.

Remember this day, this is historic.

PostPosted: June 24 16, 7:16 am 
Mayor of GRB

pioneer98 wrote:
Sorry, I can't explain it. It seems like a huge overreaction to me. This just happened:

I think the markets are reacting so strongly not only because of the uncertainty, but because they didn't gradually price in an exit in the past few weeks. Many, many people guessed incorrectly, and even bid up the value of the pound, devalued the yen, bet on rising stock prices, bet against gold, etc., right before the referendum. Lots of investors were cold-cocked by the vote.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next