GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 10 19, 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 26 16, 9:58 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
jim wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:
Brexit is a cautionary tale for what lies ahead for us if Trump is elected because people decided to stay home on election day.

What's the tale?

Be careful who you do or do not vote for. I suspect the day after Trump is elected would be very similar (or worse) than Brexit.

Since Brexit, I have fished, grilled, watched baseball, drank beer, and scratched my balls some. Life as usual. I suspect that if Trump were elected, I would do the same.

It's just not that big of a deal. Life goes on, this stuff that everyone tells you is so important never is. Just silly grown up games.

I don't need silly grown up games that can wreak havoc on my home equity and retirement accounts. You have time to recover from it - I don't have that luxury and don't need people on both sides of the pond with horrible orange hair [expletive] it up for me.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 4:36 am 
Fringe Major League Player

PostPosted: June 27 16, 7:11 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:
Brexit is a cautionary tale for what lies ahead for us if Trump is elected because people decided to stay home on election day.

What's the tale?

Be careful who you do or do not vote for. I suspect the day after Trump is elected would be very similar (or worse) than Brexit.

What evidence is there to support the claim that trump elected = brexit?

PostPosted: June 27 16, 7:36 am 
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

The Economist:

Quote:
A weaker pound will also lead to higher inflation. Two things can happen in response. Either wages can rise in compensation, in which case business costs will rise and the competitive advantage of devaluation will be eroded. Or wages won’t rise and people's living standards will be eroded. So a Leave campaign fueled by voter anger over squeezed living standards will result in a further squeeze in those living standards.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 7:47 am 

planet planet wrote:
The Economist:

Quote:
A weaker pound will also lead to higher inflation. Two things can happen in response. Either wages can rise in compensation, in which case business costs will rise and the competitive advantage of devaluation will be eroded. Or wages won’t rise and people's living standards will be eroded. So a Leave campaign fueled by voter anger over squeezed living standards will result in a further squeeze in those living standards.

And, the general response to slow inflation is to increase interest rates. But, Bank of England shouldn't raise interest rates to slow a weakened economy. It's kind of a catch 22 they'd be faced with.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 7:50 am 
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Radbird wrote:
jim wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:

What's the tale?

Since Brexit, I have fished, grilled, watched baseball, drank beer, and scratched my balls some. Life as usual. I suspect that if Trump were elected, I would do the same.

It's just not that big of a deal. Life goes on, this stuff that everyone tells you is so important never is. Just silly grown up games.

I don't need silly grown up games that can wreak havoc on my home equity and retirement accounts. You have time to recover from it - I don't have that luxury and don't need people on both sides of the pond with horrible orange hair [expletive] it up for me.

I don't mean to be insensitive, I'm just saying I just don't think it matters to peoples lives as much as they let it. Clinton getting elected seems like 4 more years of gridlock, that doesn't sound all that great for retirement accounts either.

I heard people this morning at my upper middle to upper class gym today talking about this and I just felt like the biggest impact on their retirement wasn't going to be the fact that they had a slightly smaller but still huge number, but the resulting high blood pressure caused from getting all worked over stuff I just don't think really has any impact on day to day life.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 8:34 am 
Perennial All-Star

jim wrote:
Radbird wrote:
jim wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:

What's the tale?

I don't mean to be insensitive, I'm just saying I just don't think it matters to peoples lives as much as they let it. Clinton getting elected seems like 4 more years of gridlock, that doesn't sound all that great for retirement accounts either.

I heard people this morning at my upper middle to upper class gym today talking about this and I just felt like the biggest impact on their retirement wasn't going to be the fact that they had a slightly smaller but still huge number, but the resulting high blood pressure caused from getting all worked over stuff I just don't think really has any impact on day to day life.

These aren't the people that would be largely affected by a Trump/Brexit style embracing of hard right policies. It's going to be the middle and lower classes. Always is. Economic disparity is going to continue to rise. Probably at an even faster rate.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 8:41 am 
Everday Unicorn

jim wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:

What's the tale?

No offense, but you're not a Muslim, an immigrant, a Jew, a homosexual, a woman, or any other minority whose life would be made appreciably worse -- if not outright imperiled -- by the actions of a Trump presidency and his followers. Life would not be as usual for others. Is that ok for you?

PostPosted: June 27 16, 8:45 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:

What's the tale?

Well there's this: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35828747

PostPosted: June 27 16, 9:26 am 

Popeye_Card wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:

What's the tale?

Well there's this: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35828747

Sounds illogical.

Quote:
"He has been exceptionally hostile towards free trade, including notably Nafta, and has repeatedly labelled China as a 'currency manipulator'," the EIU said.

Doesn't Clinton share those same beliefs? Yep....at least that's what she says.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... -on-nafta/

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/clinto ... 2016-03-04

It also goes on to point out why they themselves are wrong.

Quote:
Why is Donald Trump considered only slightly less of a threat to global security than a new Cold War? Perhaps it is because unlike traditional presidential front-runners the candidate has little or no policy substance to back up his shoot-from-the-hip-style pronouncements.
Want details on how the New Yorker would restructure US trade relations with China? Or how he would implement his proposed Muslim immigration ban? Good luck finding out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next