GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 9:32 am 
Offline
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Posts: 50681
heyzeus wrote:
jim wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:
Brexit is a cautionary tale for what lies ahead for us if Trump is elected because people decided to stay home on election day.

What's the tale?

Be careful who you do or do not vote for. I suspect the day after Trump is elected would be very similar (or worse) than Brexit.


Since Brexit, I have fished, grilled, watched baseball, drank beer, and scratched my balls some. Life as usual. I suspect that if Trump were elected, I would do the same.

It's just not that big of a deal. Life goes on, this stuff that everyone tells you is so important never is. Just silly grown up games.


No offense, but you're not a Muslim, an immigrant, a Jew, a homosexual, a woman, or any other minority whose life would be made appreciably worse -- if not outright imperiled -- by the actions of a Trump presidency and his followers. Life would not be as usual for others. Is that ok for you?


I would not be ok at all if any of those groups you mentioned had appreciably worse lives due to the actions of some politician. If you knew me, if you knew what I actually do in my "free time", you wouldn't even dare ask that actually.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:05 am 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 35023
Location: Austin, TX
I don't know you or what you do in your free time, but let's say you're Mother Teresa. Why say what you said? You can't have it both ways.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:08 am 
Offline
a bad penny always turns up
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Posts: 23439
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
So you're not only a Jew, but a homosexual woman Muslim Jew?

Paging Dr. Freud.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:11 am 
Offline
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Posts: 50681
I said what I said because I think people get all worked up by the news cycle for usually very little reason. I completely agree that the Trump discourse is alarming. But 99% of the other stuff is just so incredibly blown out of proportion in how it really impacts peoples day to day lives, but yet I see people getting all worked up and stuff over it and it just seems pointless to me. I think part of the reason that it impacts people so much is because there is money to be made by pushing peoples buttons and selling them news. I'm just not buying that snake oil is all.

That's all I'm saying really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:12 am 
Offline
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
User avatar

Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Posts: 27872
Location: at the gettin' place
heyzeus wrote:
I don't know you or what you do in your free time, but let's say you're Mother Teresa. Why say what you said? You can't have it both ways.


Don't waste your time trying to make sense of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:16 am 
Offline
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Posts: 50681
cardsfansince82 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
I don't know you or what you do in your free time, but let's say you're Mother Teresa. Why say what you said? You can't have it both ways.


Don't waste your time trying to make sense of that.


Agreed. If I were Mother Theresa I wouldn't be saying what I said, I'd be popping daisies because she's been dead for a spell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:19 am 
Offline
Mayor of GRB
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Posts: 33037
Location: Louisville
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
planet planet wrote:
The Economist:

Quote:
A weaker pound will also lead to higher inflation. Two things can happen in response. Either wages can rise in compensation, in which case business costs will rise and the competitive advantage of devaluation will be eroded. Or wages won’t rise and people's living standards will be eroded. So a Leave campaign fueled by voter anger over squeezed living standards will result in a further squeeze in those living standards.

And, the general response to slow inflation is to increase interest rates. But, Bank of England shouldn't raise interest rates to slow a weakened economy. It's kind of a catch 22 they'd be faced with.


I agree, although I wonder what the principal mandates of the Bank of England are, based on its charter. For instance, the European Central Bank's charter mentions that its main job is to keep inflation below 2 percent. The Federal Reserve is somewhat unusual among central banks because it had a dual mandate of economic growth and management of inflation. The Bank of England may not have much choice but to pursue a tight monetary policy, which, as you say, is a catch-22 for the British economy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 12:30 pm 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 35023
Location: Austin, TX
Leroy wrote:
So you're not only a Jew, but a homosexual woman Muslim Jew?

Paging Dr. Freud.


I contain multitudes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 2:34 pm 
Offline
Coiner of CarPegs
User avatar

Joined: December 12 07, 3:53 am
Posts: 7448
Location: Formerly hrod17
Man, it just seems like Hillary could give these WS guys a quick (and not cheap) pep talk, and send them out there to fix the Brexit impact on the markets.

This is cool. Threatening to move to Canada if your party doesn't win isn't an 'only in America' thing:
http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/06/whats-the-british-equivalent-of-threatening-to-move-to-canada/488672/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 2:44 pm 
Offline
Everyday Player
User avatar

Joined: July 10 14, 1:41 pm
Posts: 470
I think this is a good thing because it forces the EU to restructure the organization. At least I think it will.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group