GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: So Brexit eh?
PostPosted: June 27 16, 9:32 am 
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

heyzeus wrote:
jim wrote:
Radbird wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Radbird wrote:
Brexit is a cautionary tale for what lies ahead for us if Trump is elected because people decided to stay home on election day.

What's the tale?

Be careful who you do or do not vote for. I suspect the day after Trump is elected would be very similar (or worse) than Brexit.

Since Brexit, I have fished, grilled, watched baseball, drank beer, and scratched my balls some. Life as usual. I suspect that if Trump were elected, I would do the same.

It's just not that big of a deal. Life goes on, this stuff that everyone tells you is so important never is. Just silly grown up games.

No offense, but you're not a Muslim, an immigrant, a Jew, a homosexual, a woman, or any other minority whose life would be made appreciably worse -- if not outright imperiled -- by the actions of a Trump presidency and his followers. Life would not be as usual for others. Is that ok for you?

I would not be ok at all if any of those groups you mentioned had appreciably worse lives due to the actions of some politician. If you knew me, if you knew what I actually do in my "free time", you wouldn't even dare ask that actually.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:05 am 
Everday Unicorn

I don't know you or what you do in your free time, but let's say you're Mother Teresa. Why say what you said? You can't have it both ways.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:08 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
So you're not only a Jew, but a homosexual woman Muslim Jew?

Paging Dr. Freud.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:11 am 

I said what I said because I think people get all worked up by the news cycle for usually very little reason. I completely agree that the Trump discourse is alarming. But 99% of the other stuff is just so incredibly blown out of proportion in how it really impacts peoples day to day lives, but yet I see people getting all worked up and stuff over it and it just seems pointless to me. I think part of the reason that it impacts people so much is because there is money to be made by pushing peoples buttons and selling them news. I'm just not buying that snake oil is all.

That's all I'm saying really.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:12 am 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

heyzeus wrote:
I don't know you or what you do in your free time, but let's say you're Mother Teresa. Why say what you said? You can't have it both ways.

Don't waste your time trying to make sense of that.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:16 am 

cardsfansince82 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Don't waste your time trying to make sense of that.

Agreed. If I were Mother Theresa I wouldn't be saying what I said, I'd be popping daisies because she's been dead for a spell.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 10:19 am 
Mayor of GRB

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
planet planet wrote:
The Economist:

Quote:
A weaker pound will also lead to higher inflation. Two things can happen in response. Either wages can rise in compensation, in which case business costs will rise and the competitive advantage of devaluation will be eroded. Or wages won’t rise and people's living standards will be eroded. So a Leave campaign fueled by voter anger over squeezed living standards will result in a further squeeze in those living standards.

And, the general response to slow inflation is to increase interest rates. But, Bank of England shouldn't raise interest rates to slow a weakened economy. It's kind of a catch 22 they'd be faced with.

I agree, although I wonder what the principal mandates of the Bank of England are, based on its charter. For instance, the European Central Bank's charter mentions that its main job is to keep inflation below 2 percent. The Federal Reserve is somewhat unusual among central banks because it had a dual mandate of economic growth and management of inflation. The Bank of England may not have much choice but to pursue a tight monetary policy, which, as you say, is a catch-22 for the British economy.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 12:30 pm 
Everday Unicorn

Leroy wrote:
So you're not only a Jew, but a homosexual woman Muslim Jew?

Paging Dr. Freud.

I contain multitudes.

PostPosted: June 27 16, 2:34 pm 
Coiner of CarPegs

Man, it just seems like Hillary could give these WS guys a quick (and not cheap) pep talk, and send them out there to fix the Brexit impact on the markets.

This is cool. Threatening to move to Canada if your party doesn't win isn't an 'only in America' thing:
http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/06/whats-the-british-equivalent-of-threatening-to-move-to-canada/488672/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

PostPosted: June 27 16, 2:44 pm 
Everyday Player

I think this is a good thing because it forces the EU to restructure the organization. At least I think it will.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next