GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 7 19, 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Policing for Profit
PostPosted: September 10 16, 8:05 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Not in Southeast Missouri. Not at all. Then again, there's not much other crime going on.

PostPosted: September 10 16, 8:14 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Foley MO. Edina MO.
But yeah, a big big deal in the cluster f municipalities in STL area. Ferguson etc etc

PostPosted: September 10 16, 9:57 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

BW23 wrote:
Not in Southeast Missouri. Not at all. Then again, there's not much other crime going on.

Gordonville near Cape is one of about 20 places in Missouri that writes more tickets than it has people. Leadington with a population of 216 writes the same number of tickets (1400) as Farmington population 15,870. There's a lot of small towns that rely on gouging outsiders to support their budgets, to the point that the Missouri legislature passed a law limiting the amount they could collect. I believe it is 35% of the total budget.

PostPosted: September 14 16, 12:19 pm 
Perennial All-Star

IMADreamer wrote:
This is one of my biggest gripes about the police. They often just don't need to exist.

There is some [expletive] hole little town on 79 north of st Louis. There are maybe 200 people in the town and they have a cop that sits there in town ticketing every one he can. I try my best when he's not around to have the cut outs on my exhaust open and make as much noise as possible because [expletive] every single person in that [expletive] hole nothing [expletive] town for putting up with that [expletive] cop.

My town has gone back and forth with having police. When they don't have one they rely on the county. Most of the time the biggest issue is that we pay the county but they don't ever send anyone over. The contract requires them to spend so many hours here per week. we are in the far sw corner of the county. What happens when there is a serious event and the nearest officer is 45 min away?

We can't afford a cop without income from tickets. There use to be rumors of a quota. We currently have an officer, he's a retired guy and works fewer hours because he can. He writes some tickets but he's not an ass like we've had in the past.

Honestly I think that we have fewer problems when we don't have an officer but we need one for the times we need one.

PostPosted: September 15 16, 9:00 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

I find it strange that some places can find the money to put up parking meters and hire people to enforce them, but they can't seem to find a budget for stickers or signs telling people when they are in effect.

PostPosted: September 15 16, 9:29 pm 
Everday Unicorn

The city/county/100 bite sized corrupt municipalities divide is absolutely killing St. Louis. The DOJ report on Ferguson could be replicated for at least half of those townships. The amount of abuse, waste, and corruption is staggering. As is the economic fragmentation wherein each municipality competes with the other for retail etc.

PostPosted: September 15 16, 9:49 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Diddy wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
This is one of my biggest gripes about the police. They often just don't need to exist.

There is some [expletive] hole little town on 79 north of st Louis. There are maybe 200 people in the town and they have a cop that sits there in town ticketing every one he can. I try my best when he's not around to have the cut outs on my exhaust open and make as much noise as possible because [expletive] every single person in that [expletive] hole nothing [expletive] town for putting up with that [expletive] cop.

My town has gone back and forth with having police. When they don't have one they rely on the county. Most of the time the biggest issue is that we pay the county but they don't ever send anyone over. The contract requires them to spend so many hours here per week. we are in the far sw corner of the county. What happens when there is a serious event and the nearest officer is 45 min away?

We can't afford a cop without income from tickets. There use to be rumors of a quota. We currently have an officer, he's a retired guy and works fewer hours because he can. He writes some tickets but he's not an ass like we've had in the past.

Honestly I think that we have fewer problems when we don't have an officer but we need one for the times we need one.

My town could ax the police force and no one would ever notice or care. It's the county seat, it has the sheriffs office, state police HQ, and a federal marshal quarters there. It's so damn over policed it's absurd. Ironically the dumb [expletive] can't catch the person breaking into bars stealing ATM money. One night the incompetent bastards were on the roof staking the place out when it was broke in to.

PostPosted: September 15 16, 9:51 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Freed Roger wrote:
Foley MO. Edina MO.
But yeah, a big big deal in the cluster f municipalities in STL area. Ferguson etc etc

Foley that's it. I really hope that place is on Kim Jung Un's nuke list. Just driving through the town I can't imagine anyone there has every contributed anything meaningful to our society.

PostPosted: September 16 16, 7:25 am 
Perennial All-Star

IMADreamer wrote:
Diddy wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

My town could ax the police force and no one would ever notice or care. It's the county seat, it has the sheriffs office, state police HQ, and a federal marshal quarters there. It's so damn over policed it's absurd. Ironically the dumb [expletive] can't catch the person breaking into bars stealing ATM money. One night the incompetent bastards were on the roof staking the place out when it was broke in to.

When we first dropped the town cop and contracted with the county the sherrif, one deputy , and two highway patrolmen lived in town. Even though we didn't have a cop we had people close if something were to happen. That all changed when the sherrif lost the election.

Our current set up with a retired part time cop is ideal. We can afford a cop part time hours without the tickets. Our rural towns are dying and there is only so much tax income to go around. Unfortunately as the population gets smaller there is probably more need for law enforcement.