GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 13 19, 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: September 9 16, 2:34 pm 
Perennial All-Star

This is a scary/good read from Vox.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/9/12843120/ro ... -overreach

Quote:
But to Corey Blue of Roanoke, Illinois, the government is not protecting anybody — it’s targeting people like him, punishing him on behalf of the liberals, dope smokers, and heathens who prefer "eco-cars."

Blowing toxic black smoke into the air "anytime I feel like" is his way of showing that it’s still his America, that he can still do what he wants and doesn’t have to follow a bunch of namby-pamby rules imposed by liberal bureaucrats. He and other coal rollers may dress this sentiment up in the language of small government, but what they’re expressing is a long, long way from conservative economic philosophy.

PostPosted: September 10 16, 9:22 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

I guess as the forum's resident car guy I should chime in. First I think it's a bit try hard to equate rolling coal to uneducated Murica! types. Almost like see what these idiot Trump supporters are doing to our precious clean air! Sure there is that demographic in the coal rollers but the movement in general has nothing to do with freedom or Murica. It's simply a fad in vehicle modification. Fads come on go. Think about in the late 1990s when neon underglow and wings were the thing. A few years back it was "stanced" cars. Now among the truck crowd it's rolling coal. It too shall pass. Your average coal roller is a young guy, single, and just trying to show off or fit in. They are probably not serious lifelong car guys. They will get married, grow up, and this will all be over in a few years.

There is no need for more laws against it, it's already against the law but the cops don't enforce it. These trucks almost certainly break sound ordinances, and there are federal laws against modifying your vehicles emissions system. In a way I agree with the guy in the article. We don't need more laws for this, simply enforce what we have. Here is another place the police fail us because if I roll into town with my exhaust cut outs open I'm getting a ticket. Gauranteed. If three or four or more of my friends are together in some hot cars you can bet we are getting stopped and questioned about what we are doing. However these truck guys get a pass on all of that. That bothers me a bit.

I'm also a bit torn in that I think needlessly polluting is dumb and at best disrespectful. However I do freely support modifying cars, something the auto makers, their lobbyist, and politicians do fight against. The sad thing is the guys modding these trucks the right way are going to be the ones who get hurt the most. There are guys building incredible performance trucks that do not roll coal. In fact efficiency is a lot of truck modders goal, but these new laws will hurt them too.

PostPosted: September 10 16, 5:47 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

IMADreamer wrote:
I guess as the forum's resident car guy I should chime in. First I think it's a bit try hard to equate rolling coal to uneducated Murica! types. Almost like see what these idiot Trump supporters are doing to our precious clean air! Sure there is that demographic in the coal rollers but the movement in general has nothing to do with freedom or Murica. It's simply a fad in vehicle modification. Fads come on go. Think about in the late 1990s when neon underglow and wings were the thing. A few years back it was "stanced" cars. Now among the truck crowd it's rolling coal. It too shall pass. Your average coal roller is a young guy, single, and just trying to show off or fit in. They are probably not serious lifelong car guys. They will get married, grow up, and this will all be over in a few years.

There is no need for more laws against it, it's already against the law but the cops don't enforce it. These trucks almost certainly break sound ordinances, and there are federal laws against modifying your vehicles emissions system. In a way I agree with the guy in the article. We don't need more laws for this, simply enforce what we have. Here is another place the police fail us because if I roll into town with my exhaust cut outs open I'm getting a ticket. Gauranteed. If three or four or more of my friends are together in some hot cars you can bet we are getting stopped and questioned about what we are doing. However these truck guys get a pass on all of that. That bothers me a bit.

I'm also a bit torn in that I think needlessly polluting is dumb and at best disrespectful. However I do freely support modifying cars, something the auto makers, their lobbyist, and politicians do fight against. The sad thing is the guys modding these trucks the right way are going to be the ones who get hurt the most. There are guys building incredible performance trucks that do not roll coal. In fact efficiency is a lot of truck modders goal, but these new laws will hurt them too.

I don't think many people care about limiting your ability to mod vehicles except when it starts to infringe on others. I'm not a big fan of loud cars and I'm definitely not a fan of this rolling coal crap. Not only is it a complete dick move w/r/t the environment, I've seen several instances where they blind an entire line of cars behind them. That could legitimately cause a wreck and the dip [expletive] that made it happen is down the road with no repercussions. I'd be ok with them fining that fad right into extinction.

PostPosted: September 12 16, 9:13 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: September 12 16, 12:41 pm 
just can't quit you.

cardsfansince82 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

I don't think many people care about limiting your ability to mod vehicles except when it starts to infringe on others. I'm not a big fan of loud cars and I'm definitely not a fan of this rolling coal crap. Not only is it a complete dick move w/r/t the environment, I've seen several instances where they blind an entire line of cars behind them. That could legitimately cause a wreck and the dip [expletive] that made it happen is down the road with no repercussions. I'd be ok with them fining that fad right into extinction.

Just as long as it isn't policing for profit... :wink:

PostPosted: September 12 16, 1:46 pm 
Hall Of Famer

There are better, more creative ways of self-expression where one doesn't have to be a dick to everyone else. In fact, every law that has ever been created (by both God and country) was done to provide better resolution on how not to be a dick to everyone else. If you don't like laws, that's cool, then don't be a dick to anyone...pretty [expletive] simple concept that no one seems to understand.

Jesus tried being all politically correct with the Golden Rule, but I bet he really wanted to say, "Stop being dicks to one another and everything will be cool"

Corey Blue of Roanoke, Illinois is a dick...enjoy being a target, jackwagon.