GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 13 19, 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Good guy with a gun
PostPosted: September 16 16, 2:57 pm 
Perennial All-Star

This happened on the 12th. I'd been avoiding putting anything about guns on here now but since constitutional carry was addressed I'll post this.

SHAWNEE, Kan. (AP) — Two people were critically injured and a good Samaritan killed a suspect during a confrontation in the parking lot of a suburban Kansas City Wal-Mart.
Police said the incident Sunday afternoon in Shawnee began when two suspects hit a woman in the head from behind as she was putting her child in her car.
Shawnee police Maj. Dan Tennis says a person in the parking lot who tried to help was shot several times. Another good Samaritan then shot one of the suspects, who died at the scene.
The second suspect fled but was caught near the store.
The female victim and the other person who was shot were both hospitalized in critical condition.
Tennis said a motive for the initial attack on the woman is not yet clear.

Post subject: Re: Good guy with a gun
PostPosted: September 16 16, 3:02 pm 
'Burb Boy

I've been covering this story all week here (it's been a busy week in KC), and I'm glad someone was able to help out this woman... and her child less than one year old who she was putting in the car.

That said, I still think this is the exception, not the rule.

PostPosted: September 16 16, 3:09 pm 
just can't quit you.

I am amazed we still use a biblical term - Good Samaritan - for someone who gets involved to help someone in need of help.

PostPosted: September 16 16, 3:13 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I've been covering this story all week here (it's been a busy week in KC), and I'm glad someone was able to help out this woman... and her child less than one year old who she was putting in the car.

Six weeks ago we had a work place shooting locally. It's hard to say how many lives were saved but the shooter left because employees ran to their vehicles to get their guns.

In the above article the first good samiratian was unarmed and came to the woman's aid after she was pistol whipped and was screaming for her baby. He hit the assailant in the face knocking him to the ground. He was then shot three times by the assailant. Once in the wrist, once in the shoulder, and once in the face before the other Good Samaritan shot the assailant.

Probably safe to say they at least saved the babies life and maybe the woman's as well

PostPosted: September 16 16, 4:10 pm 
'Burb Boy

Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

Six weeks ago we had a work place shooting locally. It's hard to say how many lives were saved but the shooter left because employees ran to their vehicles to get their guns.

In the above article the first good samiratian was unarmed and came to the woman's aid after she was pistol whipped and was screaming for her baby. He hit the assailant in the face knocking him to the ground. He was then shot three times by the assailant. Once in the wrist, once in the shoulder, and once in the face before the other Good Samaritan shot the assailant.

Probably safe to say they at least saved the babies life and maybe the woman's as well

I'd agree, but that's not to say guns were the only way the woman and her baby could've been saved.

I'm not saying they don't happen ever, but in general, more guns = more problems. Take the Colorado movie theater shooting. Bad as it was, I think it's even worse if you have people firing in the dark and then add even more people firing so you don't know who's a good person and who's a bad person.

PostPosted: September 16 16, 5:43 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:

I'd agree, but that's not to say guns were the only way the woman and her baby could've been saved.
[/quote]

If you've been reporting on it your familiar with the situation. What do you think could have been done differently?

PostPosted: September 16 16, 5:54 pm 
'Burb Boy

Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

If you've been reporting on it your familiar with the situation. What do you think could have been done differently?[/quote]

Anything that's a deterrent to draw attention away. Honking horns, even. I'm not saying it would have worked because who knows, but it could have. Most criminal stories I've covered, the bad guys freak out as soon as they realize someone's watching them.

PostPosted: September 16 16, 6:17 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

If you've been reporting on it your familiar with the situation. What do you think could have been done differently?

Anything that's a deterrent to draw attention away. Honking horns, even. I'm not saying it would have worked because who knows, but it could have. Most criminal stories I've covered, the bad guys freak out as soon as they realize someone's watching them.[/quote]

He first guy didn't have a chance to do anything ôther then what he did or do nothing. Its not smart if your unarmed to attack to armed men if you think you have another option your probably going to use it. He's lucky the second guy was there or he'd be dead now.

PostPosted: September 16 16, 10:08 pm 
Hall Of Famer

We used to have a thread that ultimately got locked where we posted all of the horrible gun incidents that were happening. I promise not to do that to this thread except for this one post. Just keep in mind these are the kind of things happening every day across the country with guns. I got these from "Moms Demand Action", Everytown and Gabby Gifford's page on Facebook. The thing that gets me is how all of them involve children, or college kids. I don't think they even bother to post the ones simply involving adults. Those aren't shocking enough any more.

It also looks like Texas' experiment with guns on college campuses is off to a great start.

From today:
Tarleton State student accidentally fires gun in campus dorm

Meeting About Proposed Georgia Mosque Canceled After Militia Video Surfaces

Yesterday:
2-Month-Old Girl Shot in Road Rage Incident

The rest are all from the past week:
POLICE: TODDLER DEAD AFTER SHOOTING IN BUCKS COUNTY

Teacher charged after students find her loaded gun in bathroom

3-year-old who died after accidentally shooting himself identified

More from a Texas college: Three arrested in West Campus in connection with fraternity shooting

5-year-old boy recovering after shooting at park

Hours after ultrasound, mother-to-be killed before she could decorate nursery in giraffes, elephants

Texas high school shooting: Girl shooter dead, 2 injured

PostPosted: September 16 16, 10:12 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The Mosque one is the only one that didn't involve children. Those are just the incidents involving children from the past week, and that might not even be all of them. I bet Canada and Western Europe won't have this many incidents involving kids and guns for the entire year.