GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 13 19, 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: September 17 16, 9:29 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Probably more political than not.

Is Clint Eastwood right? Have Americans gone soft?

Quote:
Are today’s conflicted arguments surrounding racism shouted too impulsively down the virtual public square?

Stanford law professor Richard Ford, an expert on civil rights and antidiscrimination law — and an African American — argues in his book, “The Race Card,” that the social and legal meaning of racism is in a state of crisis: “the term now has no single clear and agreed upon meaning.

“As a result, it is available to describe an increasingly wide range of disparate policies, attitudes, decisions, and social phenomena. This leads to disagreement and confusion.”

Real debate is hard. It takes effort.

Sure, Eastwood’s lambasting of millennials was offensive to all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons, but that was Eastwood making a point on his own terms. When you look beneath his gruff exterior, you may see that he is illuminating an issue that America would do well to pay attention to.

PostPosted: September 17 16, 12:16 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Eastwood is wrong. Why do we always have to be at war? Most of the rest of the world is happy not being at war or preparing for war all the time. Why do we have to feel so afraid about our fellow citizens that we must carry guns around with us to feel safe? Almost all of the world outside of active war zones get along just fine with each other while limiting access to firearms.

Is America going soft? No.

America is going [expletive] crazy.

PostPosted: September 17 16, 6:02 pm 
Hallelujah Brother

I do think that people are sometimes too quick to label differing ideas as "racist", "liberal", "xenophobic", etc. Then the piling on commences and people pick sides without having any real discussion. It's easier to call people names in a society where political debate happens 140 characters at a time.

PostPosted: September 19 16, 4:26 am 
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Eastwood is wrong. Why do we always have to be at war? Most of the rest of the world is happy not being at war or preparing for war all the time. Why do we have to feel so afraid about our fellow citizens that we must carry guns around with us to feel safe? Almost all of the world outside of active war zones get along just fine with each other while limiting access to firearms.

Quote:
Since 1973 he has publicly endorsed increased gun control...He now advocates for women’s rights and gay rights, fiscal conservativism, and criticizes America’s wars in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq.

?

Eastwood's comments were more about his perception that young Americans are politically correct to the point he finds it absurd.

Last edited by AdmiralKird on September 19 16, 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 19 16, 4:50 am 
Hall Of Famer

AdmiralKird wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

Quote:
Since 1973 he has publicly endorsed increased gun control...He now advocates for women’s rights and gay rights, fiscal conservativism, and criticizes America’s wars in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq.

?

Eastwood's comments were more about his perception that young Americans are politically correct to the point he finds it absurd.

I'm not talking about Eastwood, I'm answering Eastwood's question.

PostPosted: September 19 16, 5:11 am 
All-Star

I used to have a browser filter that changed "political correctness" to "treating people with respect", as that's all it is. Calls for less of it almost always come from groups that have historically not been abused, enslaved, arrested at a far higher rate than members of other groups, denied legal rights based purely on their membership of said group, and so on.

Thinking about what you say before you say it, because words have power, seems a fairly reasonable thing to me.

PostPosted: September 19 16, 11:44 pm 
Everyday Player

Famous Mortimer wrote:
I used to have a browser filter that changed "political correctness" to "treating people with respect", as that's all it is. Calls for less of it almost always come from groups that have historically not been abused, enslaved, arrested at a far higher rate than members of other groups, denied legal rights based purely on their membership of said group, and so on.

Thinking about what you say before you say it, because words have power, seems a fairly reasonable thing to me.

Political correctness and "treating people with respect" have about as much in common as oil and water. I would say that your intentions are likely "good", but what political correctness has de-volved into it seems is the work of vengeful and malicious political activists....people who’ve forsaken true debate and dialogue to try to impose their will through fear and intimidation. They are trying (and succeeding) at scaring people into silence.

For example, PC on college campuses has manifested into trigger warnings, safe spaces, and overall paranoia. And in that respect, I feel sorrow towards a segment of millennials. I don't know if it stems from utter fragility or entitlement. And in my experience, I've seen a growing and ingrained hostility towards free speech and free thought in academia over the course of time....thus, we shouldn't be surprised at what is occurring on many campuses.

Treating people with respect is what we all should do.....but it has nothing to do with being politically correct.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 1:42 pm 
Hall Of Famer

My dad was born in 1916. He grew up in Mount Olive, IL with a German coal mining family.

When I first asked him about the depression he told me that it had no effect on them because they were already dirt poor.

Being the youngest in his family, he lucked out and didn't have to work in the mine.

But, he did work for the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) and helped build Illinois Federal and State Parks.

He once took me to the Lincoln Memorial in Springfield and showed me the stuff he worked on.

He was a Marine in WWII and served on Iwo Jima.

Compared to him, my life was and is pretty soft.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 1:50 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

doe_boy wrote:
My dad was born in 1916. He grew up in Mount Olive, IL with a German coal mining family.

When I first asked him about the depression he told me that it had no effect on them because they were already dirt poor.

Being the youngest in his family, he lucked out and didn't have to work in the mine.

But, he did work for the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) and helped build Illinois Federal and State Parks.

He once took me to the Lincoln Memorial in Springfield and showed me the stuff he worked on.

I guess you've been to the cemetery there to see Mother Jones tomb and the monument to the miners killed in the I don't remember which anti union massacre?

PostPosted: September 21 16, 4:56 pm 
Hall Of Famer

lukethedrifter wrote:
doe_boy wrote:

I guess you've been to the cemetery there to see Mother Jones tomb and the monument to the miners killed in the I don't remember which anti union massacre?

Yes! Many times. My grandfather, great grandfather and many uncles are buried there.

There's also a potter's field for children who died at birth or early. My father had a few siblings located there.

Supposedly, my father's father knew Clarence Darrow and some of the other early union organizers. He was very active himself as were his brothers.