GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 9 19, 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: September 20 16, 6:07 am 
Hall Of Famer

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... hip-survey

3% of Americans own 133 million guns, or 17 guns per person

19% of American adults own the other 50% (roughly 2.7 guns/person)

78% own zero guns

Last edited by pioneer98 on September 20 16, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 6:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey

3% of Americans own 133 million guns, or 17 guns per person

19% of American adults own the other 50% (roughly 2.7 guns/person)

78% own zero guns

America: Bat-sh!t crazy is as Bat-sh!t crazy does.

Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on September 20 16, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 7:15 am 
Hall Of Famer

I had one of the numbers wrong and corrected it in the original post. It's still 3% of adults own 50% of all guns, but the number of guns they own is 133 million. The other numbers were right.

Roughly 7.8 million people own 133 million guns.

It just shows that this really is a fringe that is pushing all these gun laws, like open carry, guns on campus, etc.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 7:25 am 
Hall Of Famer

Another shocking stat is that 400,000 guns are stolen every year. The gun folks are right - criminals will still get guns because they'll just steal them. So many stolen weapons though is just a consequence of having so dang many guns in circulation.

Quote:
While there are an estimated 55 million American gun owners, most own an average of just three firearms, and nearly half own just one or two, according to the survey results.

Then there are America’s gun super-owners – an estimated 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 7:31 am 
Perennial All-Star

That doesn't really say how they collected their data. That a high percentage owns more doesn't surprise me but the percent that owns guns seems low.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 7:40 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Speaking as a very liberal, pro-regulation person, I find myself with 15 guns and not really knowing what to do with all of them. I had two for clay shooting, target shooting and the occasional quail, turkey and javelina hunt. Now I've inherited my grandpa's collection. I'll probably just keep all of them and never use them, but that's the weird thing is what to do with a gun when you don't want it. I'm sure there are turn in programs, but that seems insensitive to take something my grandpa specifically gave to me and then just throw it on a pile in a police station somewhere.

Anyway, it's not all sketchy arsenal hoarders. Sometimes it's a little more complicated.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 8:06 am 
Hall Of Famer

This is how the survey was done:

Quote:
The Harvard/Northeastern study is based on a survey of nearly 4,000 Americans conducted online in 2015 by a market research company, GfK, with a nationally representative panel of opt-in participants who are compensated to complete surveys on a variety of issues.

They also said this:
Quote:
Azrael, one of the study’s authors, said she was surprised that the detailed questions on gun ownership received no pushback. “People didn’t write back to GfK and say, ‘You have no right to ask these questions.’”

“It was encouraging,” she said. “It didn’t feel fraught. It felt that we were talking about a regular consumer product.”

PostPosted: September 20 16, 8:10 am 
Hall Of Famer

thrill wrote:
Speaking as a very liberal, pro-regulation person, I find myself with 15 guns and not really knowing what to do with all of them. I had two for clay shooting, target shooting and the occasional quail, turkey and javelina hunt. Now I've inherited my grandpa's collection. I'll probably just keep all of them and never use them, but that's the weird thing is what to do with a gun when you don't want it. I'm sure there are turn in programs, but that seems insensitive to take something my grandpa specifically gave to me and then just throw it on a pile in a police station somewhere.

Anyway, it's not all sketchy arsenal hoarders. Sometimes it's a little more complicated.

This is a good point. And what you are saying is that it's probably an even smaller number than 3% who are really extreme about this issue. To me, 3% seemed high! I would not have guessed that like 1 in 33 people owned 8+ guns. That would mean I'd know a lot more people than I thought that owned lots of guns.

Weirdly, I also would have guessed that a lot more than roughly 1 in 5 owned at least 1 gun.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 8:25 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Gun ownership can really easily veer into the same kind of gear-centric, collector's mentality that other hobbies cause in a totally harmless way too. If you're a car guy, you'll probably own 20 cars in your lifetime. A lot of people who love comic books or records end up with thousands of those. My dad is that way with camping. He's always buying a new tent or a new stove. There's always a reason for it beyond his compulsion. Lighter. Burns hotter with less fuel. I can get that way with fishing gear. I own 15 pairs of sunglasses.

It's like anything, really. You enjoy shooting your gun and then a new model comes out that looks cool or has a cool new feature. Maybe you want to try a different caliber. Maybe that caliber is cheaper to get ammo for when you go to the range. Maybe you like a certain brand and they come out with a new line that is different enough that you just want it. The issue is that guns aren't records. You can't just give it away or throw it in the trash. You can sell it, but that's pretty sketchy. You can recycle it but you lose money. So people just end up keeping them and buying the new one.

It's not all militia hoarders. I think a lot of people and men in particular just sort of develop that fetishistic collector's mentality and it looks weird if that's not what you're into and especially weird when it's a deadly weapon/endemic societal problem, but I could never act like I don't understand the compulsion.

PostPosted: September 20 16, 8:27 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

OTOH I am aware of several acquaintances who are gun hoarders who seem to be stockpiling an arsenal not feeding a collecting habit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next