GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 13 19, 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:23 pm 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
TGantz wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
No, I don't like guns because they're made for killing and nothing else. The protection argument is and always has been bull.

In the scenario that you just ignored from my last post, if my fiancé had to kill him, she would have been protecting those children.

Don't lump this situation in with the same toothless red necks that have 20+ guns and get high on meth and their toddler kills himself (the ones contributing to UK's statistics). Guns can protect people. That's why cops have them.

I didn't ignore it. Protection via killing. There's also mace, alarms, locks, tasers, etc. All either nonlethal or far less lethal... but you don't see a "mace culture" in the U.S. A gun's explicit purpose is to kill. That's why the car argument is crap. But we all already know this. I just think it'd be a lot more honest of gun owners if they weren't convinced they absolutely NEED that gun for their protection and would admit they have guns because they like guns. There's nothing wrong with that.

I have pepper spray, stun guns, locks, dogs, defense training, etc.

I do like guns. But as I've said before, if guns were banned and they could actually get rid of all of them, I'd get rid of mine. But they can't, so I won't. I heard a clip emptied the other night in my neighborhood in Tower Grove East. We'll be moving to the county when we buy a house next summer. Couldn't rent in the county with an aggressive breed.

This all stems from me saying I want a shotgun because they're better for home defense.

Shotguns have a wider spread, can be hip fired by a novice, and they aren't going to go through several walls and kill your neighbor. Not very many crimes are committed with shotguns.

Me saying I want a shotgun for home defense is not saying I have four guns for self defense.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:23 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I really don't think you need a gun. Given what I know about our living situations, I'm the one who's far more likely to "need" a gun, but I'll never get one because I don't need one either. And yes, I do know how to shoot and handle a gun, before anyone asks. I have no interest in it, and I know my life becomes a lot more dangerous by having it than not.

Fortunately we live in a country where we get to make the decision on if we need one for ourselves and not have someone make it for us.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:24 pm 
'Burb Boy

Tim wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
You probably should just run the hell out of there with your family and not worry about trying to draw on him/her.

Have you tried doing anything wuickly with a baby, a one year old, a three yr old and a five year old?

No? I'm still sure it's a better alternative than drawing a gun on a guy who probably just wants your TV.

Wow.
And how do you know the guy "probably just wants your TV?"

Because that's usually the way these things go? Hence the probably.

Most times, not all times because I'm not going to deal in absolutes, they just want material possessions.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:24 pm 
'Burb Boy

Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I really don't think you need a gun. Given what I know about our living situations, I'm the one who's far more likely to "need" a gun, but I'll never get one because I don't need one either. And yes, I do know how to shoot and handle a gun, before anyone asks. I have no interest in it, and I know my life becomes a lot more dangerous by having it than not.

Fortunately we live in a country where we get to make the decision on if we need one for ourselves and not have someone make it for us.

Yep, I'd never live in a country with compulsory gun ownership.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:26 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

Are there any?

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:27 pm 
'Burb Boy

Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

Are there any?

No, but I'm referring to your "we can make decisions for ourselves" comment.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:29 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

Are there any?

I know just seems like an extreme to go from having the right to choose to having a gun forced on you.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:31 pm 
'Burb Boy

Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

Are there any?

I know just seems like an extreme to go from having the right to choose to having a gun forced on you.

Does it? You're in favor of having the right to choose to have a gun... I'm in favor of having the right to choose not to have one.

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:33 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

Are there any?

Does it? You're in favor of having the right to choose to have a gun... I'm in favor of having the right to choose not to have one.

I agree with individuals having both of those choices, that's why I thought it was extreme to suggest I support you having to own a gun

PostPosted: September 21 16, 12:34 pm 
'Burb Boy

I don't think you support that, Diddy. I didn't mean to convey it that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next