GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 13 19, 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: October 10 16, 1:34 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Leroy wrote:
These holier than thou people tick me off.

Quote:
While Berkshire has been a sophisticated user of the tax code to limit its liabilities, Buffett has been outspoken for years about how the wealthiest people in the U.S. don’t pay enough income tax. He frequently points out how his secretary pays a higher rate than he does.

No one is stopping him from paying higher taxes, if it is such a heavy cross for him to bear. Why not set a good example, Mr. high and mighty? Oh, and while your at it, allow oil to be shipped via pipeline instead of rail cars (yours). Farmers here could use the transport, but eff it I guess.

I'll never understand how some mega rich are considered heroes, and others are devils.

Since when is being civic minded being holier than thou? I don't get it. He's a successful business man who makes profits and doesn't have to rely on carry forwards. That is being self-righteous? How can you fault Warren Buffett for that? Are you trying to say the country would be better off with more Donald Trumps and less Warren Buffetts? Really?

PostPosted: October 10 16, 1:40 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Leroy wrote:
These holier than thou people tick me off.

Quote:
While Berkshire has been a sophisticated user of the tax code to limit its liabilities, Buffett has been outspoken for years about how the wealthiest people in the U.S. don’t pay enough income tax. He frequently points out how his secretary pays a higher rate than he does.

No one is stopping him from paying higher taxes, if it is such a heavy cross for him to bear. Why not set a good example, Mr. high and mighty? Oh, and while your at it, allow oil to be shipped via pipeline instead of rail cars (yours). Farmers here could use the transport, but eff it I guess.

I'll never understand how some mega rich are considered heroes, and others are devils.

This doesn't even make any sense. Buffett is quite charitable but he's addressing a structural issue with the tax code. What about that makes you angry?

PostPosted: October 10 16, 1:43 pm 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
No I didn't mean to imply that at all. It is as simple as...if you don't feel you pay enough taxes, you can pay more. There is no law against it.

If it is so important to him to change the tax code, he could hire a multitude of lobbyists to get it done. Just words to me.

PostPosted: October 10 16, 1:48 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Leroy wrote:
No I didn't mean to imply that at all. It is as simple as...if you don't feel you pay enough taxes, you can pay more. There is no law against it.

If it is so important to him to change the tax code, he could hire a multitude of lobbyists to get it done. Just words to me.

Still don't get it. Re lobbyists: He's been talking about it for years. Re: paying more, it doesn't solve the problem.

PostPosted: October 10 16, 1:53 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. That's a complaint about the whole system, not his own taxes. Buffett has what? 5-10 more years. Problem (as he sees it) continues when he's gone.

PostPosted: October 10 16, 1:56 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

Leroy wrote:

Who says he doesn't do all of those things? He could ignore different write offs and loopholes that result in him paying more taxes.

Why does he need a lobbyist when already has politicians naming legislative proposals after him to get the tax changes he's championing in to law?

Even if neither of those are true; what's wrong with a billionaire offering his opinion of the tax code? Pointing out that his secretary and you and I pay less in taxes than him and he thinks it should be changed? To me it's wrong that someone who makes $175k pays a lower percentage of their income than some who makes $150k because of the payroll tax cap.

There are many people who are learning about caps on payroll taxes or that long term capital gains is 15%, and what that means, because he's talking about it.

PostPosted: October 10 16, 1:58 pm 

lukethedrifter wrote:
Leroy wrote:

Still don't get it. Re lobbyists: He's been talking about it for years. Re: paying more, it doesn't solve the problem.

But if it is so important, be the first. Like a Rosa Parks or something.

PostPosted: October 10 16, 2:12 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Leroy wrote:

I suspect rich people vary in decency or indecency as much as poor folk or middle class people. However, rich people have capacity to inflict more harm and/or do more good than the latter. Or somewhere in the middle and they have capacity to hire good wing people publicists lawyers & politicians to make them look heroic.

Tangent 1: that would be a pain in the ass if I won the Powerball. Trying to do something good with it. I definitely wouldn't voluntarily pay more in taxes.

Anyways, Trump (and then Hillary later, IIRC) offered up/used Warren Buffett as an example in the debate.

PostPosted: October 10 16, 2:21 pm 

Oh, didn't know that. I wondered how he was all of a sudden important.

PostPosted: October 10 16, 2:32 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

Leroy wrote:
Oh, didn't know that. I wondered how he was all of a sudden important.

Obama proposed a Buffett Rule in 2011. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffett_Rule. He's beat the drum on it for awhile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next