GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 27 19, 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: October 25 16, 1:34 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

You don't have to purchase insurance through the AHA right? You can still go get a policy on your own. So, I don't see how this is blamed on Obamacare unless insurance companies are losing so much due to the structure of it or something. Perhaps the pre-existing conditions thing makes it exponentially more expensive or something...I don't know.

It seems really amazing that premiums are up this high. I wonder what they'll be compared to the rise they were going through before obamacare....

PostPosted: October 25 16, 2:26 pm 
Perennial All-Star

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
You don't have to purchase insurance through the AHA right? You can still go get a policy on your own. So, I don't see how this is blamed on Obamacare unless insurance companies are losing so much due to the structure of it or something. Perhaps the pre-existing conditions thing makes it exponentially more expensive or something...I don't know.

It seems really amazing that premiums are up this high. I wonder what they'll be compared to the rise they were going through before obamacare....

seems like we have about a dozen healthcare threads lol

yeah, it was mentioned in another thread. self employed here, so know all about it (much like zues...sounds like we've been on the same plans lol...aetna?)

you don't HAVE to purchase through the marketplace, but it's a pain in the ass not to do so.

before ACA, you could go to, say, cigna's website and just buy what you wanted. not any longer. you go to the insurance company's website and say you're self employed, and it directs you to the marketplace. on all insurance providers. no other option.

so the only way NOT to purchase through the marketplace, is to hire a broker to get you a quote/plan directly through the insurance company. you can no longer do it yourself. so now you have a middle man to pay if you go that route. and i've done that/gotten quotes. it's not any cheaper and the plans are identical with just different names.

PostPosted: October 25 16, 8:08 pm 
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

So the ACA itself:

1. Expanded Medicaid
2. Expanded Medicare
3. Forced insurance companies to accept those with pre-existing conditions
4. Established a baseline of mandatory care for all plans

My Understanding of Health Care in the United States is:

45% are on employee plans through their work
16% are 65+ and are on Medicare
16% qualify and are on Medicaid for low income and special circumstances
10-15% are still uninsured
5-10% Self-Employed Marketplace Plans

These the benefits of the ACA are all good things, but it's easy to look at that breakdown and see who is going to end up paying more directly out-of-pocket to cover the ACA's coverage.

PostPosted: October 26 16, 8:08 am 
Perennial All-Star

I was talking to a dr friend of mine and she said lots of patients of hers are now avoiding check ups and preventative care because they can't afford their higher co pays. Their putting off needed care because they can't afford the drastically increased deductables.

PostPosted: October 26 16, 8:14 am 
Hall Of Famer

Basically, the ACA was coming in under CBO predictions for a few years and in 2017 the premiums will catch up to the CBO predictions.

http://kff.org/health-reform/perspectiv ... ectations/

PostPosted: October 27 16, 7:50 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

this one for size
Spoiler: show

and no, I didn't not check to see if these were accurate

PostPosted: October 27 16, 8:00 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

I just got an email from the Obamacare website today that says my plan won't be offered next year. Yippeee! I'm seriously debating on taking the penalty. I mean what's the worst that can happen to me this year medically? Cancer? I could probably swing those payments. It's better than giving some [expletive] insurance company another 4 grand this year. I mean I haven't been to the doctor but maybe three times since I was a teenager.

PostPosted: October 28 16, 9:53 am 
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

But those CEOs are earning their worth because of the ughhhh innovations in HealthCare management and coverage that saves money for Americans in a mostly noncompetitive, minimal choice environment by... ummm...

PostPosted: October 28 16, 10:01 am 
bronoun enthusiast

IMADreamer wrote:
I just got an email from the Obamacare website today that says my plan won't be offered next year. Yippeee! I'm seriously debating on taking the penalty. I mean what's the worst that can happen to me this year medically? Cancer? I could probably swing those payments. It's better than giving some [expletive] insurance company another 4 grand this year. I mean I haven't been to the doctor but maybe three times since I was a teenager.

I do this mental math every year. I haven't been to a doctor for anything other than a physical in 13 years. I have an HSA account with $10 g in it. I think I could get away with it, but I won't chance it.

PostPosted: October 28 16, 10:59 am 
Perennial All-Star

thrill wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

I do this mental math every year. I haven't been to a doctor for anything other than a physical in 13 years. I have an HSA account with $10 g in it. I think I could get away with it, but I won't chance it.

I don't know if you can still get this kind of policy, and im sure you'd still have to pay the penalty, but I use to have a plan that would cover me in any kind of an accident or injury. It was all I carried for about seven years and it was only like $20 a month. Might be something worth looking into.

I'd also remember your getting older, I hadn't been to the dr for more then a checkup in forever but the last two years I've had to go lots with cancer and a cancer scare.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next