GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 18 19, 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: April 16 19, 11:22 am 
Replies Authoritatively

No, it's not in France.

Call this a commentary on privilege, esp w/r/t the news we receive and how we receive it.

The racist son of a local deputy sheriff is in jail for burning down three black churches. Far more relevant to our lives in America than discovery via Facebook and IG of which of our social media connections has been on vacation to Paris.

PostPosted: April 16 19, 11:34 am 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
No, it's not in France.

Call this a commentary on privilege, esp w/r/t the news we receive and how we receive it.

The racist son of a local deputy sheriff is in jail for burning down three black churches. Far more relevant to our lives in America than discovery via Facebook and IG of which of our social media connections has been on vacation to Paris.

This was what n the news cycle last week. Glad to see they got the perl. Not surprised to see him tied to law enforcement though I believe his father has disavowed his son's behavior.

PostPosted: April 16 19, 11:37 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Disavowal is cool but I hope Deputy Sheriff is doing some soul-searching to figure out how he raised a racist arsonist.

PostPosted: April 16 19, 11:38 am 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
Disavowal is cool but I hope Deputy Sheriff is doing some soul-searching to figure out how he raised a racist arsonist.

No question.

PostPosted: April 16 19, 3:00 pm 
tl;dr

33anda3rd wrote:

We have a winner but I don't think that we would like the answer if Deputy Sheriff is being honest with himself.

PostPosted: April 16 19, 4:33 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

tlombard wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

We have a winner but I don't think that we would like the answer if Deputy Sheriff is being honest with himself.

I'd guess it's Deputy Sheriff that wouldn't like the answer.

PostPosted: April 17 19, 9:51 am 
tl;dr

33anda3rd wrote:
tlombard wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

I'd guess it's Deputy Sheriff that wouldn't like the answer.

The reason I didn't say we wouldn't like the answer is because I'm not sure whether Deputy Sheriff is really sorry that he raised a racist arsonist. He may be genuinely sure about the arsonist part but if Deputy Sheriff shares the same racist views, we would be the ones who don't like the honest answer.

PostPosted: April 17 19, 9:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

The news about the other church fire is still enlightening.

Reaction of the rich to the Notre Dame fire teaches us a lot about the world we live in
Quote:
If two men in a world of more than 7 billion people can provide €300million to restore Notre Dame, within six hours, then there is enough money in the world to feed every mouth, shelter every family and educate every child. The failure to do so is a matter of will, and a matter of system.

The failure to do so comes from our failure to recognise the mundane emergencies that claims lives all around us every single day. Works of art and architectural history and beauty rely on the ingenuity of people, and it is people who must be protected above all else.

PostPosted: April 17 19, 10:20 am 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
The news about the other church fire is still enlightening.

Reaction of the rich to the Notre Dame fire teaches us a lot about the world we live in
Quote:
If two men in a world of more than 7 billion people can provide €300million to restore Notre Dame, within six hours, then there is enough money in the world to feed every mouth, shelter every family and educate every child. The failure to do so is a matter of will, and a matter of system.

The failure to do so comes from our failure to recognise the mundane emergencies that claims lives all around us every single day. Works of art and architectural history and beauty rely on the ingenuity of people, and it is people who must be protected above all else.

This is very true. I've said it before as well. Our problems are moral problems and problems of character. Capitalist wasn't hyper-capitalists until their selfish impulses (given shelter behind the ruberic of 'libertarianism') drove them to make the decision that more-and-bigger was always better even to the detriment of the system itself.

PostPosted: April 17 19, 2:01 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.