GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 22 19, 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Vote or Die
Hillary Clinton 71%  71%  [ 29 ]
Donald Trump 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Gary Johnson 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Jill Stein 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I will abstain - Leroy 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 41
Author Message
PostPosted: November 4 16, 2:09 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19543
Arthur Dent wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
I'm sure people will look down upon my decision to not vote in this election, which I also understand puts me in a position of not being able to complain about whomever is elected. But neither one of these candidates are suitable Presidents of the United States. The political process has become a disgrace.

Ok, I'll take the bait.

It really bothers me that people are prioritizing generic complaints about the political process given what's happening right now. I completely understand not being a Clinton fan, but the complaints are all very ordinary things people don't like about politics and politicians. On the other hand, a Trump presidency poses substantial risks to the future of American democracy as such, to the international system, to racial peace, and on and on. I realize that sounds over the top, but it's true. Trump crosses every line and no one stops him. The only ones who can are we the voters, and we must do so.



That's probably true. Maybe this isn't the year to make a statement by not voting (because of the Trump factor).

Americans still need to thwart the system at some point, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 4 16, 2:12 pm 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 34622
Location: Austin, TX
Arthur Dent wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
I'm sure people will look down upon my decision to not vote in this election, which I also understand puts me in a position of not being able to complain about whomever is elected. But neither one of these candidates are suitable Presidents of the United States. The political process has become a disgrace.

Ok, I'll take the bait.

It really bothers me that people are prioritizing generic complaints about the political process given what's happening right now. I completely understand not being a Clinton fan, but the complaints are all very ordinary things people don't like about politics and politicians. On the other hand, a Trump presidency poses substantial risks to the future of American democracy as such, to the international system, to racial peace, and on and on. I realize that sounds over the top, but it's true. Trump crosses every line and no one stops him. The only ones who can are we the voters, and we must do so.


This. I would vote for Mitt Romney 100,000 times if it meant he, and not Trump, would be the commander in chief. And Mitt Romney does absolutely nothing for me politically.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 4 16, 2:22 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24156
Location: St. Louis
I have been tempted to not vote, considering I live in bassackwards MO, and am a Bernie dude..
Not voting is a luxury I have, as a white christian middle class male. But not-voting or 3rd party would be a big FU to the women, hispanics, blacks, muslims, gays, POWs etc. I just can't say to these people-good luck living in country where the leader openly courts the vote of white supremacists.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 5 16, 10:29 pm 
Offline
AA Minor League Player

Joined: May 5 16, 2:47 pm
Posts: 34
I'll be voting Stein, proudly and with no shame.

And if that means four years of Trump, so be it. You HRC partisans are a cancer on the left, and the quicker we can shock you off the better.

Go clutch your pearls with the establishment GOP, who you remind me of more by the day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 5 16, 10:55 pm 
Offline
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
User avatar

Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Posts: 24690
Location: Raptured
FOODhardy wrote:
I'll be voting Stein, proudly and with no shame.

And if that means four years of Trump, so be it. You HRC partisans are a cancer on the left, and the quicker we can shock you off the better.

Go clutch your pearls with the establishment GOP, who you remind me of more by the day.

Yeah, sure, we're the cancers though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 6 16, 7:50 pm 
Offline
There's someone in my head but it's not me
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Posts: 43622
Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
I'm not sure the world will make it through 4 years of Trump. That's the only thing that matters to me. Not whatever trivial [expletive] [expletive] you're talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 7 16, 4:32 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 25 06, 9:48 am
Posts: 10752
Location: Appleton, WI
Be skeptical when polls show the presidential race swinging wildly

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/11/6/13540646/poll-shifts-misleading-clinton-leads-trump

Quote:
Why, then, do the polls swing so much? This can mostly be explained by differential nonresponse to pollsters: Clinton goes up when more Democrats answer a survey, and Trump goes up when Democrats are less likely to respond.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 7 16, 9:58 am 
Offline
a bad penny always turns up
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Posts: 23436
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
You all said Bush would be terrible as well, and all he did was preside over 9-11, get us into a couple wars, and slid the world into recession.

Really, how much worse could Trump be?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 7 16, 10:32 am 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 27094
Leroy wrote:
You all said Bush would be terrible as well, and all he did was preside over 9-11, get us into a couple wars, and slid the world into recession.

Really, how much worse could Trump be?


Bush was pretty bad, but his problems I attribute to surrounding himself with poor advisors and not being the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

Trump just cannot be trusted to not come unhinged at any moment. He's barely able to hold it together for a few days on the campaign trail. I simply cannot imagine how he would treat every little slight he perceives from other world leaders.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 7 16, 12:07 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm
Posts: 13026
Twitter rants. That's how he'd handle slights from anyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group