GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 6 19, 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530 ... 568  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: August 6 19, 5:37 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 8111
Location: Chicago, IL
I had a very nice afternoon with a farmer from DeKalb today. He is a conservative, socially so on most issues and fiscally so on all issues. He held his nose and voted Trump last time, said a lot of people he know did the same, but that they will not do it again this time around. Said that Trump is "an ass" and not representative of their values.

That kind of made my Tuesday.

Ok, waking up to all the #feralhogs bits on Twitter and here made my Tuesday. This was a close second.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 7:41 am 
Offline
is the oscar meyer weiner kid
User avatar

Joined: July 25 06, 1:02 pm
Posts: 3130
Location: Decatur, IL
33anda3rd wrote:
I had a very nice afternoon with a farmer from DeKalb today. He is a conservative, socially so on most issues and fiscally so on all issues. He held his nose and voted Trump last time, said a lot of people he know did the same, but that they will not do it again this time around. Said that Trump is "an ass" and not representative of their values.

That kind of made my Tuesday.

Ok, waking up to all the #feralhogs bits on Twitter and here made my Tuesday. This was a close second.


Anecdotally, I've heard a lot of the same but those same people look at their 401k value since the Orangutan took office and I'm not convinced anyone other they will not vote that way. For now, I still think Biden is the only safe bet to win. I know that's no fun but I'll take it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 7:46 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 8111
Location: Chicago, IL
Sutter'sBeard wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
I had a very nice afternoon with a farmer from DeKalb today. He is a conservative, socially so on most issues and fiscally so on all issues. He held his nose and voted Trump last time, said a lot of people he know did the same, but that they will not do it again this time around. Said that Trump is "an ass" and not representative of their values.

That kind of made my Tuesday.

Ok, waking up to all the #feralhogs bits on Twitter and here made my Tuesday. This was a close second.


Anecdotally, I've heard a lot of the same but those same people look at their 401k value since the Orangutan took office and I'm not convinced anyone other they will not vote that way. For now, I still think Biden is the only safe bet to win. I know that's no fun but I'll take it.


Farmer told me that Trump's tariffs and trade war costs him six figures per year. He grows corn and soy and China was his biggest soy customer. He also related that once China finds a new trade partner for the soy--say, Brazil or Argentina--it's very hard to get that business back. I don't think there's a 401k offset that's going to offset six figures in annual revenue on an ongoing basis.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 8:35 am 
Offline
Veteran Player
User avatar

Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Posts: 991
33anda3rd wrote:
Sutter'sBeard wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
I had a very nice afternoon with a farmer from DeKalb today. He is a conservative, socially so on most issues and fiscally so on all issues. He held his nose and voted Trump last time, said a lot of people he know did the same, but that they will not do it again this time around. Said that Trump is "an ass" and not representative of their values.

That kind of made my Tuesday.

Ok, waking up to all the #feralhogs bits on Twitter and here made my Tuesday. This was a close second.


Anecdotally, I've heard a lot of the same but those same people look at their 401k value since the Orangutan took office and I'm not convinced anyone other they will not vote that way. For now, I still think Biden is the only safe bet to win. I know that's no fun but I'll take it.


Farmer told me that Trump's tariffs and trade war costs him six figures per year. He grows corn and soy and China was his biggest soy customer. He also related that once China finds a new trade partner for the soy--say, Brazil or Argentina--it's very hard to get that business back. I don't think there's a 401k offset that's going to offset six figures in annual revenue on an ongoing basis.

But - and I really have no idea, which is why I'm asking - how many farmers logging six figure losses are there? Is that faction enough to make a difference?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 8:36 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 20328
Location: Low A Minors
This could end up being the #1 reason Trump may lose...just Google "recession"

US markets hammered as cuts ignite fear of global recession

World Economy Edges Closer to Recession as Trade Woes Spread

The market's favorite recession indicator just flashed its starkest warning since 2007

'Scary' German output figures propel recession fears


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 8:51 am 
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: October 27 13, 8:26 am
Posts: 247
Yeah, he's in way over his head on this trade war. Could be the economy's undoing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 8:52 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24872
Location: St. Louis
Trump's Beto Tweet was childish, even by his standards. A 4th graders "All the things I dislike about that jerk Beto...that's not even his real name".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 8:55 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 8111
Location: Chicago, IL
Smith Corks One wrote:
But - and I really have no idea, which is why I'm asking - how many farmers logging six figure losses are there? Is that faction enough to make a difference?


IL is the biggest producer of soybeans per acre in the US. The majority of it goes to China. There is a 25% tariff on it. It's a massive blow to the state economy. They're also currently in the worst planting season in a very long time, a lot of this guy's land is cover crop this year. His 2nd biggest revenue stream is soy, after commodity corn.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 9:19 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 20328
Location: Low A Minors
https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... ium=ingest
Quote:
The Chinese government has backed down on its pledge to resume purchases of American farm products and threatened to slap additional tariffs on them, a development that could set the stage for further escalation in a trade dispute between the largest economies.

China hasn't ruled out additional duties on agricultural products ordered after August 3, the state-run news outlet Xinhua said Monday. The government also directed state buyers to halt imports of US agricultural goods after President Donald Trump announced plans to escalate tariffs on its products last week.


Unless I'm reading that wrong, it says China is just not going to buy any US agricultural goods any more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 9:29 am 
Offline
MLB.TV Customer Support
User avatar

Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
Posts: 8262
Location: Indianapolis
Smith Corks One wrote:
But - and I really have no idea, which is why I'm asking - how many farmers logging six figure losses are there? Is that faction enough to make a difference?

Depends; there's a growing number of large 'family' farms. The one across from my dad's is something like 6k acres and he's got hired help but I think he's in the nine figure revenue range.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530 ... 568  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ghostrunner and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group