GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 14 19, 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: New DNC chair
PostPosted: February 28 17, 11:34 am 
Perennial All-Star

Schlich wrote:
Getting sidetracked, but unelectable, unelectable, unelectable was the common refrain against all evidence to the contrary.

All the evidence I saw was that homeboy didn't get elected, not the contrary of that. He got beat by the person who got beat by an orange cartoon character who lies every time he opens his mouth and that's totally b/c less people voted for him than voted for Crooked Hillary not because the party suppressed him. The DNC is an effectively ineffective body. Policy and stuff is dictated by candidates with ideas. The party doesn't go "Ok, here's the deal on regulation" and then every candidate runs on whatever that deal on regulation is. The candidates run and then whoever wins the biggest seats dictates what the party direction is. Like Obama did. Like Trump is doing.

PostPosted: February 28 17, 11:41 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

themiddle54 wrote:
Schlich wrote:
Getting sidetracked, but unelectable, unelectable, unelectable was the common refrain against all evidence to the contrary.

All the evidence I saw was that homeboy didn't get elected, not the contrary of that. He got beat by the person who got beat by an orange cartoon character who lies every time he opens his mouth and that's totally b/c less people voted for him than voted for Crooked Hillary not because the party suppressed him. The DNC is an effectively ineffective body. Policy and stuff is dictated by candidates with ideas. The party doesn't go "Ok, here's the deal on regulation" and then every candidate runs on whatever that deal on regulation is. The candidates run and then whoever wins the biggest seats dictates what the party direction is. Like Obama did. Like Trump is doing.

I hear you, and I admittedly conflated "the powers that be" and "the DNC" in your original question, because they are essentially the same small group of people with disproportional influence. To say that this small group of people have no power in how the race is framed seems just as disingenuous as blaming the DNC for all of Bernie's problems.

Not getting elected isn't the same thing as unelectable. huge difference.

PostPosted: February 28 17, 11:45 am 
Perennial All-Star

How did the small group of influencers stop Obama from steamrolling Hillary in 2008? Was she not the choice of powerful insiders? How did the group of powerful insiders in the GOP like Paul Ryan and McConnell and Reininicice Prius deliver the nomination to Jeb last year? Or does that only work for Bernie?

PostPosted: February 28 17, 11:51 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

themiddle54 wrote:
How did the small group of influencers stop Obama from steamrolling Hillary in 2008? Was she not the choice of powerful insiders? How did the group of powerful insiders in the GOP like Paul Ryan and McConnell and Reininicice Prius deliver the nomination to Jeb last year? Or does that only work for Bernie?

Obama was wall-street cozy and also a lifelong Democrat. Trump is a more accurate comparison and managed to win more votes in a way more divided field. The Republican insiders didn't rally around a candidate like the Democrats did. That probably makes them less effective, yeah.

PostPosted: February 28 17, 11:58 am 
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious what this Deputy position of Ellison's ends up being. I'm guessing this is what the two of them discussed over dinner a couple weeks ago.

It's weird that you have Vice Chairs, then there's a Deputy Chair now.

PostPosted: February 28 17, 1:14 pm 
Mayor of GRB

ghostrunner wrote:
I'm curious what this Deputy position of Ellison's ends up being. I'm guessing this is what the two of them discussed over dinner a couple weeks ago.

It's weird that you have Vice Chairs, then there's a Deputy Chair now.

Well, it's because the Deputy Chair only gets one bullet.

PostPosted: September 7 17, 6:50 am 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: September 7 17, 2:17 pm 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:

Frustration based on the optics of it.

PostPosted: June 6 18, 2:12 pm 
Perennial All-Star

yesterday Keith Ellison filed to run for MN Attorney General. His district is super liberal, so whomever wins the primary will be heavy favorite (but that's fodder for the Midterms thread). My point here is that if Ellison is going to focus on a state office, I think he should consider no longer being the DNC deputy-chair. As it is, I'd rather that the DNC chair be fully focused on that job rather than what they're doing now with Booker and Ellison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13