GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 23 19, 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 170  Next
PostPosted: April 4 19, 10:49 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Arthur Dent wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
Moore is an awful hack, and everyone knows it. He won't be turned down by the Senate because he's faithful to Republican interests.

And now Herman Cain.

I have to admit that I'm surprised by this. Nominating hacks for federal judgeships is one thing -- the Law is a joke anyway, so just get the guys on your side -- but bringing the insanity into the High Temple of the Fed is still a shock to me. The elite (and everyone else) have a huge stake in this job being done competently.

The Trump Presidency has been a shock to my theory of politics in that I figured the business community would use it's power to veto stuff like incompetent trade wars, but that really hasn't happened. Is it the higher priority put on getting tax cuts? A preference for corrupt government where executives have more scope to play influence games as they like? He's on the team, so it's cool? Not sure exactly what to make of it.

I would say there are three aspects in play for the Fed in particular:

1. The importance of monetary policy is overstated. Well, that's assuming Cain and Moore don't lead a shift to the gold standard when Elizabeth Warren is elected in 2020. But for the most part bumping up or bumping down the short end of the yield curve 50 basis points isn't really that effective and it's really not that difficult of a decision. OTOH the Fed's role as a regulator isn't getting enough attention, which is weird, considering the events of 2008 could have been prevented if a freaking Ayn Rand acolyte hadn't been in charge. Obviously Cain and Moore won't be pushing for a wider regulatory role for the Fed, which Wall Street likes.

2. I think everybody on Wall Street thinks everybody else is an idiot. They have a point about the Fed (see the 2008 financial crisis again). They just assume the top of the government will be idiots.

3. Business leaders tend to work through the deep state rather through the high profile political figures. Cain and Moore will write lots of WSJ op-eds and make some speeches at Hillsborough and Liberty, but it's hard to see either one of them getting that deep into the weeds of the Fed's work.

PostPosted: April 7 19, 4:44 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Trump just fired his Homeland Security chief, Kirstjen Nielsen. In addition to its other problems, Trump's immigration policy could be attacked as a failure, that Trump could never figure out a way to strike a deal to implement an effective policy to do whatever it is he's trying to do.

The streams of thousands that continue to cross the border sure know how to troll our president.

PostPosted: April 8 19, 11:56 am 
Perennial All-Star

The picture that accompanies this article is worth the 5 seconds to click and view. Sadly, the article ends with a depressing and #-o sentence.

Quote:
Don McGahn Finally Speaks Out On Trump

During an off-the-record luncheon on Thursday last week with Republican Senate aides, former White House counsel Don McGahn made several revealing remarks about how the White House operates — including some details that could be made more public once the Mueller report is released.

https://hillreporter.com/don-mcgahn-fin ... rump-30143

PostPosted: April 8 19, 12:02 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

One more point re the Fed, which John Oliver tackled last night, is that they are not political. Not just in that they are not errand boys for POTUS, but that they keep their lips zipped. Even a hint of talk in public can shape the markets, and with an administration as politicized, polarized, short-sighted, greedy, and corrupt as this one, under a POTUS who insists on everyone being an errand boy, having someone on the Fed who loves to talk to the public is exceptionally dangerous, and is about as unacceptable as Kavanaugh on the highest court.

PostPosted: April 8 19, 1:32 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

How is it even constitutional to have so many "acting" cabinet members?

Who knew that 200+ years of constitutional law could be circumvented by simple terminology! Just appoint cabinet secretaries with the acting moniker and, presto, no Senate confirmation needed.

PostPosted: April 8 19, 9:14 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

the director of secret service to be bounced?

Noteworthy that these people leaving John Kelly, Sessions, Nielsen, Pruett, Zinke, Tillerson, etc etc etc were all [expletive] Trumpers to begin with. Can never have enough loyalty!

oh well. plenty other MAGA pussies to stay loyal to King Orange

PostPosted: April 9 19, 7:03 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Trump Eyeing Rick Perry as Nielsen's Replacement

Quote:
Per two Republicans involved in discussions, Sec. Rick Perry is being eyed for DHS. (Virginia Attorney General) Ken Cuccinelli also on WH radar for DHS, has boosters on right in Congress. (Former Kansas Secretary of State Kris) Kobach and (former Florida Attorney General Pam) Bondi have had their names mentioned, but seen as unlikely.

Only the best people...

PostPosted: April 9 19, 7:08 am 
99% conan clips

i dont know cuccinelli but those other 3 are real [expletive]...kobach can eat [expletive] you lazy, entitled, fake lawyer

i wonder if getting rid of the SS guy is partly because that chinese spy infiltrated mar a lago so easily

Quote:
He asked Ivanovich, the Secret Service agent, if Zhang had given a “definitive answer” when questioned if she was related to a club member with the same surname.

“No, she did not,” Ivanovich said on the witness stand.

The agent said he conducted a four-and-a-half hour interview with Zhang at the Secret Service office in West Palm Beach. There was only video but no audio recording because Ivanovich said he did not realize the audio was not working.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 63409.html

PostPosted: April 9 19, 10:03 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Nobody hates anybody like Kansans hate Kobach lol

PostPosted: April 9 19, 11:16 am 
Perennial All-Star

thrill wrote:
Nobody hates anybody like Kansans hate Kobach lol

Do they hate him even more than Brownback?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 170  Next