GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 18 19, 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 176  Next
PostPosted: May 16 19, 2:42 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
He’s announcing his Rock the Casbah Mideast tour.

PostPosted: May 17 19, 9:55 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: May 17 19, 11:16 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 7:19 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Kris Kobach’s demands for becoming “immigration czar”: access to a government jet 24/7, an office in the West Wing, being made Secretary of Homeland Security by September, and more.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/us/politics/kris-kobach-trump.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

PostPosted: May 20 19, 7:34 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The Kobach list is mind-boggling. Stealing a Twitter joke, he seems to have left out the part about no brown M&Ms.
Quote:
5. POTUS sits down individually with Czar and the secretaries of Homeland Security, Defense, Justice, Ag, Interior, and Commerce, and tells each of the Secretaries to follow the directives of the Czar without delay, subject to appeal to the President in cases of disagreement.

Quote:
10. Promise that by November 1, 2019, the president will nominate Kris Kobach to be DHS Secretary, unless Kobach wishes to continue in Czar position.

There seems to be some combination of things going on here:
A. Kobach badly overrates himself.
B. Kobach thinks Trump is weaker than weak.
C. Kobach took the "czar" title literally.

It does explain why this jerk isn't part of the Trump Admin, even though he ticks all of the ideological boxes.

PostPosted: May 21 19, 12:08 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli has been tapped for the immigration job. Not a czar, but presumably Cuccinelli was fine with being offered a lesser position. Kobach was dropped, almost certainly because of his whack job demands.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/21/politics/ken-cuccinelli-white-house-immigration/index.html

PostPosted: May 21 19, 12:13 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Over the last few years i have learned (relearned maybe) just how many dummies go to Ivy League schools.

PostPosted: May 21 19, 12:17 pm 
gone fission

lukethedrifter wrote:
Over the last few years i have learned (relearned maybe) just how many obnoxiously wealthy dummies go to Ivy League schools.

FTFY

PostPosted: May 21 19, 3:52 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Swirls wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Over the last few years i have learned (relearned maybe) just how many obnoxiously wealthy dummies go to Ivy League schools.

FTFY

I assume he's alluding to Kobach, who graduated summa [expletive] laude at Harvard, got an MA from Oxford on a Marshall scholarship, and then got his JD from Yale Law. Your garden-variety trust fund frat boy doesn't do any of that. ISTM the moral here is that intellectual distinction isn't any guarantee of character.

And at least Ben Carson didn't start singing "Can't Fight This Feeling" today. I mean, I owned the Hi Infidelity album, and even I hated that sappy junk.

PostPosted: May 21 19, 5:05 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

greenback44 wrote:
Swirls wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

FTFY

I assume he's alluding to Kobach, who graduated summa [expletive] laude at Harvard, got an MA from Oxford on a Marshall scholarship, and then got his JD from Yale Law. Your garden-variety trust fund frat boy doesn't do any of that. ISTM the moral here is that intellectual distinction isn't any guarantee of character.

And at least Ben Carson didn't start singing "Can't Fight This Feeling" today. I mean, I owned the Hi Infidelity album, and even I hated that sappy junk.

I was referring to Kobach. Agreed that intellectual capacity and ethics are necessarily related but also that you can be an intelligent dumbass. Thinking too highly of oneself increases those odds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 176  Next