GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 16 18, 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: What is to be done?
PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:29 am 
Hall Of Famer

The need to get organized seems pretty urgent, so I'd like to have some discussion on what we can do.

Couple immediate concerns:
-Trump just re-upped his promise to do immediate mass deportations rounding up a couple million people. What organizations can we support to mount legal and physical defense?

-Unless Congress stops him, Trump is going to engage in massive corruption using the Presidency to fill his pockets. But I think it's conceivable Congress could be lobbied to prevent this. Trump must be forced to sell off his business empire for a genuine blind trust where he cannot make decisions to boost his own investments. Congress needs to either pass legislation holding all Presidents to this requirement or, at minimum, block his agenda and all appointments until he agrees. An organized lobby campaign to this effect is urgent.

Post subject: Re: What is to be done?
PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:37 am 
NPR & THT Contributor

Arthur Dent wrote:
The need to get organized seems pretty urgent, so I'd like to have some discussion on what we can do.

Couple immediate concerns:
-Trump just re-upped his promise to do immediate mass deportations rounding up a couple million people. What organizations can we support to mount legal and physical defense?

-Unless Congress stops him, Trump is going to engage in massive corruption using the Presidency to fill his pockets. But I think it's conceivable Congress could be lobbied to prevent this. Trump must be forced to sell off his business empire for a genuine blind trust where he cannot make decisions to boost his own investments. Congress needs to either pass legislation holding all Presidents to this requirement or, at minimum, block his agenda and all appointments until he agrees. An organized lobby campaign to this effect is urgent.

For #1, I think the ACLU is a great place to start. From their own website:

Quote:
Using targeted impact litigation, advocacy, and public outreach, the ACLU protects the rights and liberties of immigrants. For more than 25 years, the ACLU has been at the forefront of almost every major legal struggle on behalf of immigrants’ rights, focusing on challenging laws that deny immigrants access to the courts, impose indefinite and mandatory detention, and discriminate on the basis of nationality. In addition, we have challenged constitutional abuses that arise from immigration enforcement at the federal, state, and local levels, including anti-immigrant “show me your papers” laws at the state level and unconstitutional enforcement tactics by the federal government and local agencies.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/immigrants-rights

#2 is alarming because you have the potential Attorney General saying stuff like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... t-of-work/

PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:38 am 
Everday Unicorn

I wish I had answers instead of bleakness, but I don't, not yet.

One thing I plan to do this week is donate to the ACLU. The ACLU has a great network of skilled Constitutional lawyers who file federal lawsuits whenever civil liberties are challenged by actions of local, state, or federal governments. This is true for wrongful arrest, deportation, Bill of Rights cases, voting rights issues, and on down the line. They're going to need a whole squadron of lawyers to deal with what Trump has planned, so money will help them.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:41 am 
'Burb Boy

At least to the first point, John Oliver mentioned the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund last night.

Www.maldef.org

PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:46 am 
Hall Of Famer

A prominent Democratic party blogger in Iowa did a post asking this same question. They were talking about the state level, but the same things apply. Unfortunately, instead of listing out good ideas, the blog post illustrated exactly why the Democratic party has rotted to its core. Two examples: 1) They talked about which young Democratic up and comers should speak at the next [expletive] party dinner. As if anyone, anywhere gives a [expletive] about who speaks at some dinner in Des Moines. 2) They said the party should reach out to LGBT groups, charities and similar groups and ask them "Who wants to step up?" Instead of asking how they can help you, you should be asking how you can help them. These were 2 examples, but the whole article was full of this [expletive]. These people need to be purged from the party and we need to start completely over. Build it from the ground up. It's something that will probably take longer than I will be alive.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:50 am 
MLB.TV Customer Support

I know it's cliché but I think those who are worried about what Trump will do need to start mobilizing now for 2018. Funnel the anger and energy of NeverTrumpers, conservatives, Berniecrats, millennials and all Democrats towards finding reasonable candidates for all city and state elections as well as the US House. Otherwise I fear it'll dissipate and become complacency.

I can try to dig it up but a congressional aide was posting on Twitter about the most effective ways to influence those in congress and it's to call their office - letters, emails and social media don't really work but staffers always answer calls and if they are getting bombarded on issues, it's more disruptive and noticed than anything else. So in the middle-term when legislation is being proposed at the state and federal levels, be prepared to call and calmly and reasonably dissent on that legislation. This is especially true if your reps are GOP.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:51 am 
Hall Of Famer

Again, I am confident that in the long run, Democrats will make a comeback. But this will be so, so costly. We'll probably have another massive recession and another terrible war. The damage will already be done.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 11:56 am 
NPR & THT Contributor

vinsanity wrote:
I know it's cliché but I think those who are worried about what Trump will do need to start mobilizing now for 2018. Funnel the anger and energy of NeverTrumpers, conservatives, Berniecrats, millennials and all Democrats towards finding reasonable candidates for all city and state elections as well as the US House. Otherwise I fear it'll dissipate and become complacency.

I can try to dig it up but a congressional aide was posting on Twitter about the most effective ways to influence those in congress and it's to call their office - letters, emails and social media don't really work but staffers always answer calls and if they are getting bombarded on issues, it's more disruptive and noticed than anything else. So in the middle-term when legislation is being proposed at the state and federal levels, be prepared to call and calmly and reasonably dissent on that legislation. This is especially true if your reps are GOP.

I saw something similar, maybe even the same. It was from a former intern. She mentioned that if you have a specific issue, to ask for the contact info for the staffer who tracks that specific issue. That they'd be glad to know of your concern and keep you in the loop about events. I wish I had saved the specific series of tweets. The gist of it was, social media is useless for contacting them but actual letters, emails, and especially phone calls will get you some kind of audience.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 12:08 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

JL21 wrote:
I wish I had saved the specific series of tweets. The gist of it was, social media is useless for contacting them but actual letters, emails, and especially phone calls will get you some kind of audience.

Here's the storify : https://storify.com/editoremilye/i-work ... -six-years
She has some other interesting bits on her timeline - https://twitter.com/editoremilye

PostPosted: November 14 16, 12:18 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Hey AD,

I've started to PM you 4-5 times and get sidetracked each time.

There's a township Democratic Club I've ask about joining - the township and city actually got all their initiatives passed, which was at least something to be happy about. Funding for my kids' schools on the township level and mass transit funding for the city. I figure I'll start there and see what else I can find out.

The state level Democratic Party seems to be asleep at the wheel. Was PMing Vin about this, but there's no sense of urgency or indication that they plan to capitalize on this frustration. The County Democratic party has a better more informative website.

I think Democrat orgs are the way to go, outside specific issues. I don't 100% align with D's, but so what.

I'm planning to give some money to the ACLU, and subscribing to the Indy paper and probably WaPo or the New York Times.

Gannet is trying to outsource a bunch of the Indy paper's copy editing work. I sort of hate to subscribe and give them money, but that's what a former reporter suggested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next