GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is to be done?
PostPosted: November 14 16, 12:24 pm 
Hall Of Famer

vinsanity wrote:
I know it's cliché but I think those who are worried about what Trump will do need to start mobilizing now for 2018. Funnel the anger and energy of NeverTrumpers, conservatives, Berniecrats, millennials and all Democrats towards finding reasonable candidates for all city and state elections as well as the US House. Otherwise I fear it'll dissipate and become complacency.

I can try to dig it up but a congressional aide was posting on Twitter about the most effective ways to influence those in congress and it's to call their office - letters, emails and social media don't really work but staffers always answer calls and if they are getting bombarded on issues, it's more disruptive and noticed than anything else. So in the middle-term when legislation is being proposed at the state and federal levels, be prepared to call and calmly and reasonably dissent on that legislation. This is especially true if your reps are GOP.

It can easily dissipate. Same stuff was said regarding republicans coming together and doing these things in 2008, and they ended up with Trump 8 years later. Just disgusting.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 12:28 pm 
Hall Of Famer

JL21 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
I know it's cliché but I think those who are worried about what Trump will do need to start mobilizing now for 2018. Funnel the anger and energy of NeverTrumpers, conservatives, Berniecrats, millennials and all Democrats towards finding reasonable candidates for all city and state elections as well as the US House. Otherwise I fear it'll dissipate and become complacency.

I can try to dig it up but a congressional aide was posting on Twitter about the most effective ways to influence those in congress and it's to call their office - letters, emails and social media don't really work but staffers always answer calls and if they are getting bombarded on issues, it's more disruptive and noticed than anything else. So in the middle-term when legislation is being proposed at the state and federal levels, be prepared to call and calmly and reasonably dissent on that legislation. This is especially true if your reps are GOP.

I saw something similar, maybe even the same. It was from a former intern. She mentioned that if you have a specific issue, to ask for the contact info for the staffer who tracks that specific issue. That they'd be glad to know of your concern and keep you in the loop about events. I wish I had saved the specific series of tweets. The gist of it was, social media is useless for contacting them but actual letters, emails, and especially phone calls will get you some kind of audience.

I've always found it pretty easy to talk to the state reps/senators. On the federal level, talk to their local offices. McCaskill and Blunt have offices all over the state. Your congressman will have one, too. Don't just talk to whoever answers the phone. Find out who to talk to. It's easy to find out.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 12:32 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

I wish I could be optimistic here but I live in the middle of Trump HQ. The local Democrat party here is pretty well done. There is only one seat at the county level held by a democrat and he is going to retire in two years and it will go to a Republican. The party here is basically about 10 people. This election the only democrat locally that would run was for states attorney. The Republicans were unopposed on all other races, even for State Senate and State Rep. No one will run because no one can win. The one contested race we had was 8000 to 2000. That's such a huge gulf to bridge I just don't think it can be done here. I hope where you guys are its' better, I assume because you live in larger population places it should be.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 12:53 pm 
Perennial All-Star

ghostrunner wrote:
I think Democrat orgs are the way to go, outside specific issues. I don't 100% align with D's, but so what.

I agree. Changing institutions is different than changing things. What I mean by that is, say Apple wants to change the cell phone. They don't change the Motorola Razr, they reinvent the cell phone. Institutions, you can't do that. You can't just reinvent public schools, healthcare, the electoral process, or a political party. Re political parties, there's no base, no foundation. Instead of upending electoral politics by creating a great third party, like Apple reinventing the cell phone and making everything before it obsolete, we have to get a Democratic Party that is a better one.

We need to demand and vote for no more candidates based on it being "his/her turn." The primary field was too small this year and we need to demand more people run.

We need to insist that never again do we have a candidate who can't hold a rally, getting an arena or field full of people excited. We can elect in primaries no more candidates who are policy experts but can't connect with voters/people.

We need to insist that the economy is the most important issue with equality--income, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.--coming in a close second.

We cannot fall into the Cult of Personality campaign like we just had in 2020, where the campaign for our candidate is based on talking about how awful Trump and his supporters are--that doesn't make them change their minds, it just energizes them.

We need to elect a candidate next time who doesn't have 30 years of baggage.

We need to go hard on governors races and Congressional races in 2018. 36 gubernatorial elections, and several, like here in Illinois, are red now but could be turned blue.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 1:16 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I know this post will be different from the gist of this thread, but a more of a personal improvement rather than a donation/activist standpoint:

We did give consideration to moving to Canada -not just because of election etal, but it would be a time to do so with recent career considerations for my wife. Anyway, we ruled CA that out for now. We really like the community here, and public school for our daughter's next 4.5 years.

so we are going to put our house on the market. Quite an undertaking to get rid of decades of crapola and get it ready to go, but we have time right now to do it.

We plan to downsize/rent for a year or so and use the cashout of equity from our home for better financial positioning. Most importantly, this whole deal will provide better leverage with her next job etc -maybe make less but have more time. Who knows, we could become job mobile eventually. ultimately, we probably end up buying a property nearby that we know we can afford/manage to have rehabbed into our next home.

This election - it was a chief motivatione to do this. I know it is self-serving, but I already feel free-er with that huge load I took to Goodwill. We'll be in a better position financially, and time-wise and most importantly to help others with time and resources. We already talking about volunteering for the literacy/mentoring program thru our church. We are going to kick more ass this way.
Better get busy. And with Trump - never forget

Last edited by Freed Roger on November 14 16, 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 1:17 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Yes, Democratic organizations are the ones we need to take over from these complacent dolts. Ironically, Bernie actually tried to take it over, and almost succeeded, but there was too much inertia. They don't have a leg to stand on now.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 1:39 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Freed Roger wrote:
I know this post will be different from the gist of this thread, but a more of a personal improvement rather than a donation/activist standpoint:

We did give consideration to moving to Canada -not just because of election etal, but it would be a time to do so with recent career considerations for my wife. Anyway, we ruled CA that out for now. We really like the community here, and public school for our daughter's next 4.5 years.

so we are going to put our house on the market. Quite an undertaking to get rid of decades of crapola and get it ready to go, but we have time right now to do it.

We plan to downsize/rent for a year or so and use the cashout of equity from our home for better financial positioning. Most importantly, this whole deal will provide better leverage with her next job etc -maybe make less but have more time. Who knows, we could become job mobile eventually. ultimately, we probably end up buying a property nearby that we know we can afford/manage to have rehabbed into our next home.

This election - it was a chief motivatione to do this. I know it is self-serving, but I already feel free-er with that huge load I took to Goodwill. We'll be in a better position financially, and time-wise and most importantly to help others with time and resources. We already talking about volunteering for the literacy/mentoring program thru our church. We are going to kick more ass this way.
Better get busy. And with Trump - never forget

We were in the process of downsizing prior to the election but are now accelerating our schedule. Also need to review/rethink our investments as won't be able to recover from any market [expletive] before retirement.

Reduce, resize, reshape, resettle. Then activate.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 2:02 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

Shameless plug, if any St Louisans/Missourians here want to get involved in progressive politics, 'like' Mobilize Missouri on facebook and fill out the volunteer form if you feel so inclined. Former Bernie grassroots org, now moving on to progressive local and state issues, run by quality people.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 2:09 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Schlich wrote:
Shameless plug, if any St Louisans/Missourians here want to get involved in progressive politics, 'like' Mobilize Missouri on facebook and fill out the volunteer form if you feel so inclined. Former Bernie grassroots org, now moving on to progressive local and state issues, run by quality people.

It is time. good work. Don't think there's any point here in Alabama. When I get back to Oregon though, I'll be looking around.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 3:56 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Schlich wrote:

It is time. good work. Don't think there's any point here in Alabama. When I get back to Oregon though, I'll be looking around.

I would think mobilizing, registering voters, and getting a positive pro-progress message out would have more of a point in Alabama than Oregon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next