GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 21 19, 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is to be done?
PostPosted: November 14 16, 3:59 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'll put it in this thread.....a number of organizations have seen record donations since Tuesday. For example, the ACLU got 120,000 donations totaling $7.2 million, and their web site crashed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... urce=atltw

This is nice but I'm still not optimistic.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 4:25 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

pioneer98 wrote:
This is nice but I'm still not optimistic.

I'm not usually one for optimism either but consider this.

One of the large narratives driving Trump to victory was bucking the establishment. Missouri has 8 congressional districts and only 2 Democratic representatives in congress, First (St. Louis City), Fifth (Kansas City).

Ann Wagner won re-election in District 2.
Blane Luetkemeyer won re-election in District 3.
Jason Smith wont re-election in District 8.

Looking at a map of the districts in MO Image shows that those three districts are in relative proximity to St. Louis. Working with the Democratic Party to help canvas, go to town halls and identify candidates that would appeal could help. These are all seats that will be up in 2 years.

Just using District 2, 407k people voted in this past election but only 230k voted in 2014. 148k people voted for Wagner in the 2014 election where 153k voted for the Democratic candidate this year. There are enough voters to flip District 2. Maybe that's harder to do in District 3 or District 8 but if a marginal district in half of states were to flip in this way, the house would go from 241-194 GOP majority to a 219-216 Democrat majority. I think it can be done with good candidates and strong voter turnout.

It's my understanding the next House will re-draw districts in 2020. Turning the house blue for re-districting will stop this non-sense like in 2012 when more people voted for a democrat in the House and the GOP still had control.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 4:42 pm 
Perennial All-Star

The governor stuff is important because right now we are just 1 seat away from party-line passing of Constitutional amendments.

36 governor seats are up in what is now less than 2 years. Those need to be a huge priority. Huge.

Along with that, what vin said about flipping just one Congressional seat in each state. That's easier said than done in all states, so some we need to flip two to make up for the states that won't have anything flippable.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 4:48 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't bother with district 8. Probably hardest to turn.

Wait, why am I giving advice?!?!

Yes, focus solely on district 8. Forget the others.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 5:06 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

themiddle54 wrote:
The governor stuff is important because right now we are just 1 seat away from party-line passing of Constitutional amendments.

That's easier said than done in all states, so some we need to flip two to make up for the states that won't have anything flippable.

Constitutional amendments still need 2/3s of congress.

24 is all the Democrats need to flip to win the house.

States like Texas, California, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida have large numbers of districts and large metro areas where making multiple districts competitive could be easier IF voters turnout. Turnout is ground game, it's local support, strong charismatic candidates and a good central message. These are all possible if people protesting get involved in their own district our outside their district if theirs is blue.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 5:23 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

About voter turn out. I wonder what losing the electoral college, again, but winning the popular vote does for that? I've heard so many people say this week their vote doesn't count. So many people down and out. Will they vote again?

PostPosted: November 14 16, 5:34 pm 
Hall Of Famer

My understanding is there are at least 5 more states with split houses, so that amendment isn't quite as dire as it's been characterized.

PostPosted: November 14 16, 5:46 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

pioneer98 wrote:
I guess I'll put it in this thread.....a number of organizations have seen record donations since Tuesday. For example, the ACLU got 120,000 donations totaling $7.2 million, and their web site crashed.

I don't plan to support ACLU due to its pro-Citizens United stance- with Corporate donations as free speech
https://www.thenation.com/article/why-aclu-wrong-about-citizens-united/

PostPosted: November 14 16, 6:18 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

I don't plan to support ACLU due to its pro-Citizens United stance- with Corporate donations as free speech
https://www.thenation.com/article/why-aclu-wrong-about-citizens-united/

Yeah, that is not good but they do a lot of good things, too

Sadly, we have to re-fight battles over basic things like freedom of speech and religion before we can fight things like Citizens United

PostPosted: November 14 16, 6:54 pm 
The Last Word

Be nice to you neighbors, and buy a meal for a random person.

That's all I've got.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next