GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 23 19, 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next
PostPosted: May 14 19, 3:07 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I should note that I was not meaning fiscal conservatism, i.e. balanced budgets etc. More along the lines of modern Republican policy—low tax rates, corporate hand-outs, overheated Wall Street, etc. Whatever it takes to make money, long-term impacts be damned.

PostPosted: May 14 19, 3:16 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Popeye_Card wrote:
I should note that I was not meaning fiscal conservatism, i.e. balanced budgets etc. More along the lines of modern Republican policy—low tax rates, corporate hand-outs, overheated Wall Street, etc. Whatever it takes to make money, long-term impacts be damned.

No doubt it seems like the most logical thing in the world to them.

PostPosted: May 14 19, 3:49 pm 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

No doubt it seems like the most logical thing in the world to them.

Tried to write something longer, but yeah. Exactly.

Call whatever you want fiscal conservatism, I suppose, but the meaning is more money for our guys.

PostPosted: May 14 19, 5:54 pm 
Consider him admonished

The only fiscally conservative option in 2016 couldn’t get 4% of the vote, was labeled a pothead and was blindsided by Aleppo. Fiscal conservatism is dead

PostPosted: May 14 19, 6:24 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Tim wrote:
The only fiscally conservative option in 2016 couldn’t get 4% of the vote, was labeled a pothead and was blindsided by Aleppo. Fiscal conservatism is dead

idiot nutjobs are dead

PostPosted: May 15 19, 1:16 am 
Consider him admonished

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Tim wrote:

idiot nutjobs are dead

You seen the POTUS?

PostPosted: May 15 19, 8:22 am 
Perennial All-Star

Tim wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Tim wrote:

idiot nutjobs are dead

You seen the POTUS?

LOL. TOUCHE!

PostPosted: May 15 19, 8:58 am 
tl;dr

My dad is one of those who think the economy is the best it has ever been because the stock market is up but 99.999% of that benefit goes to the rich, it sure as heck doesn't do anything for me. If our company stock triples, I don't get a bonus or a pay raise. When the market is up, companies don't lower the price of products that I need.

His other reason is because the auto repair shop he works at has more business than they can handle these days. Well yeah, of course mechanics are seeing a lot more customers. People can't afford to buy newer cars and have to spend every last penny keeping the old ones running!!! Prices on new cars are up and car loans are already reaching 72 months. No wonder sales are starting to decline and things are only going to get worse.

That is not good for the overall economy and actual real, working people but I guess it is good for my dad personally that everybody has to fix their beater instead of buying new. And the kicker is that he doesn't even work on commission so other than volume equaling job security, it still doesn't actually benefit him financially since he gets a flat salary.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 9:12 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

On some level, you have to admit that the economy is doing well, even outside of the stock market. Unemployment is extremely low. GDP continues to grow. There are a lot of “good paying” jobs out there, both white and blue collar.

Now the problems. How much is attributable to Trump vs. Obama policies? What about the ever-present long term concerns around underemployment and wealth disparity? What happens when the market inevitably crashes?

The economy is doing well, but much like a Trump property, how much is just superficial?

PostPosted: May 15 19, 9:46 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Popeye_Card wrote:
On some level, you have to admit that the economy is doing well, even outside of the stock market. Unemployment is extremely low. GDP continues to grow. There are a lot of “good paying” jobs out there, both white and blue collar.

Now the problems. How much is attributable to Trump vs. Obama policies? What about the ever-present long term concerns around underemployment and wealth disparity? What happens when the market inevitably crashes?

The economy is doing well, but much like a Trump property, how much is just superficial?

The economy is doing well, thank goodness, but I don't think Trump deserves much credit for it frankly. Just look at a graph. We are just proceeding along a trend that started under Obama. Which is not to say that Obama deserves all the credit for that either. The state of the economy, good or ill, is not solely due to the president.

Trump's tax cuts have done nothing but juice the stock market, which benefits those who already own stock. Great for them, doesn't do much for many. The capital investment we were told would result from cutting the corporate rate and profit repatriation has not happened. The raises promised have been soft. The middle class part of the cut is temporary. Deficits are soaring. The tax cut is not paying for itself as they promised.

Wages at the lower end of the spectrum are still not rising much. Wages at the high end are raising very quickly. The gap is widening. Several large bubbles lurk, particularly student debt and corporate debt. Credit default swaps are bananas again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next