GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: February 26 19, 4:51 pm 
has a link from 538 to share

If Gaetz knows something it's likely because it's coming from Trump. Those orange little fingers are all over that tweet.

PostPosted: February 26 19, 4:55 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

GOPers conveniently forget that Hannity was also a Cohen client. ... their true friend in Trump fellatio & propaganda.

PostPosted: February 26 19, 9:27 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

mikechamp wrote:
Facing prison, Manafort asks for leniency in Mueller case

AP wrote:
In a new court filing , Manafort's attorneys described the 69-year-old as a victim of circumstance, prosecuted by special counsel Robert Mueller only because the government couldn't make the case that he colluded with the Kremlin's interference in the 2016 presidential election. They also dismissed prosecutors' characterization of Manafort as a hardened criminal, saying he was merely a wealthy consultant who committed "garden variety" crimes by illegally lobbying for Ukrainian interests and hiding millions from the IRS.

Even as Manafort's lawyers said their client takes responsibility for his actions, they sought to downplay his crimes, noting that his conduct, "while certainly illegal, unquestionably falls on the less serious end of the spectrum of federal felonies." In the witness tampering allegations, for example, they agree it was improper, but they stressed that Manafort didn't offer the witnesses bribes or threaten them with physical harm to give false testimony.

Regarding the illegal lobbying, the attorneys argued that such cases are rarely prosecuted and, but for Mueller, their client likely would have avoided indictment. Manafort's case "involves a magnitude of harshness previously unknown in the enforcement" of the statute known as the Foreign Agents Registration Act, they wrote.

I can just hear the judge laughing already. "Garden variety crimes" when you hide millions?? Most people never have 1 million, let alone multiple millions that they can hide from the IRS.

And did you catch the implication in the last paragraph of my excerpt? "If it wouldn't have been for Mueller, our client would have gotten away with this. So many other people do, why are you being unfair to this professed criminal?"

I just picture the unfrozen caveman lawyer pleading this case, and it warms my heart.

PostPosted: February 27 19, 3:44 am 
Perennial All-Star

Want to know what Cohen's going to say to Congress today, but can't watch the testimony and/or can't bring yourself to turn on CSPAN? Well, I'm back from the future:

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000169 ... b99a790001

PostPosted: February 27 19, 3:54 am 
Hall Of Famer

mikechamp wrote:
Want to know what Cohen's going to say to Congress today, but can't watch the testimony and/or can't bring yourself to turn on CSPAN? Well, I'm back from the future:

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000169 ... b99a790001

He says 'pled' not 'pleaded'. I like this guy.

Oh - and boom goes the dynamite.

Not that it matters. If he actually follows through and testifies, he's going to be ripped to shreds.

PostPosted: February 27 19, 8:21 am 
Mayor of GRB

Popeye_Card wrote:
mikechamp wrote:

AP wrote:
In a new court filing , Manafort's attorneys described the 69-year-old as a victim of circumstance, prosecuted by special counsel Robert Mueller only because the government couldn't make the case that he colluded with the Kremlin's interference in the 2016 presidential election. They also dismissed prosecutors' characterization of Manafort as a hardened criminal, saying he was merely a wealthy consultant who committed "garden variety" crimes by illegally lobbying for Ukrainian interests and hiding millions from the IRS.

Even as Manafort's lawyers said their client takes responsibility for his actions, they sought to downplay his crimes, noting that his conduct, "while certainly illegal, unquestionably falls on the less serious end of the spectrum of federal felonies." In the witness tampering allegations, for example, they agree it was improper, but they stressed that Manafort didn't offer the witnesses bribes or threaten them with physical harm to give false testimony.

Regarding the illegal lobbying, the attorneys argued that such cases are rarely prosecuted and, but for Mueller, their client likely would have avoided indictment. Manafort's case "involves a magnitude of harshness previously unknown in the enforcement" of the statute known as the Foreign Agents Registration Act, they wrote.

I can just hear the judge laughing already. "Garden variety crimes" when you hide millions?? Most people never have 1 million, let alone multiple millions that they can hide from the IRS.

And did you catch the implication in the last paragraph of my excerpt? "If it wouldn't have been for Mueller, our client would have gotten away with this. So many other people do, why are you being unfair to this professed criminal?"

I just picture the unfrozen caveman lawyer pleading this case, and it warms my heart.

Quote:
He is a dishonorable man. So are we all dishonorable men.

PostPosted: February 27 19, 8:24 am 
Hall Of Famer

I lol'd at my desk

PostPosted: February 27 19, 8:26 am 
Hall Of Famer

sighyoung wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
mikechamp wrote:

AP wrote:

Quote:
He is a dishonorable man. So are we all dishonorable men.

I feel like the costume designer phoned it in a bit here.

PostPosted: February 27 19, 8:35 am 
99% conan clips

Popeye_Card wrote:
mikechamp wrote:

AP wrote:

PostPosted: February 27 19, 10:08 am 
99% conan clips

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 276  Next