GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: September 19 18, 3:06 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Why do Democrats just sign off on this without mentioning other programs that need funding?

Why don't Democrats at least use this for leverage for those programs, for DACA, and for the SCOTUS hearing? They were needed to pass it.

Also, why vote to increase the military budget at all?

PostPosted: September 19 18, 3:09 pm 
99% conan clips

our MIC obsession is so messed up and you are right. dems are wimps w/r/t this

PostPosted: September 20 18, 11:50 am 
Veteran Player

ghostrunner wrote:

Why do Democrats just sign off on this without mentioning other programs that need funding?

Why don't Democrats at least use this for leverage for those programs, for DACA, and for the SCOTUS hearing? They were needed to pass it.

Also, why vote to increase the military budget at all?

This is the stuff that screws with me. Are both sides that compromised by the military lobby or is it that easy to lose an election as the guy who "voted against the military!!"?

PostPosted: September 20 18, 11:53 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Both

PostPosted: September 20 18, 12:56 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Looked into this a little bit more and it's confusing.

This bill was a big appropriations bill, so it included DoD, HHS, and Education spending. Also had a lot of things Democrats wanted, which was in the article. Planned Parenthood isn't touched, no DHS or wall funding, etc.. So I can see some Dems thinking it's the best they can get, but I still don't get why you don't make a public show of pushing for more movement on other issues and also maybe lets question why we're spending so much on the military, helping to bomb Yemen. etc...

There's also a DoD appropriations bill that came about a month ago, which is what has me a little confused. Similar amount and the No votes were pretty similar, except Gillibrand was in there with Sanders and maybe 1 or 2 less Republicans. Seems like that was an agreement on how much the defense spending would be, and this bill was actually authorizing that defense spending? And the Republicans packaged it up with the other stuff to ensure they had the Democratic votes? They also might be unrelated as they seem to cover different years. The previous one cites fiscal year 18, and this one 19.

Not at all sure about that after the little reading I did. I'm curious why Gillibrand voted differently on the two bills.

PostPosted: November 13 18, 7:02 pm 
Perennial All-Star

AP Economics Writer wrote:
The federal government recorded a deficit of $100.5 billion in October, a big increase from a year ago that was primarily caused by quirks in the calendar.

The Treasury Department said Tuesday that the deficit shot up 59 percent from the same month a year ago. Last year's October deficit was smaller because the government paid $48 billion in benefits in September because Oct. 1 fell on the weekend.

The government has run a deficit in every October going back to the early 1950s. The new report begins a budget year in which the federal deficit is expected to soar above $1 trillion, reflecting in part the $1.5 trillion in tax cuts Congress approved last December.

The October report showed that among the biggest increases in spending from a year ago was in interest payments on the public debt, which totaled $32 billion, 30 percent more than a year ago.

Total outlays in October were $353.2 billion, up 18.3 percent from a year ago, a jump that was heavily influenced by the fact that Social Security and other benefits for October 2017 had been paid in September of last year.

Government revenues totaled $252.7 billion, an increase of 7.3 percent from a year ago as a strong economy and low unemployment have offset some of the losses from the tax cuts.

https://www.kmov.com/news/us-budget-def ... 0e685.html

PostPosted: November 13 18, 10:23 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

ghostrunner wrote:
Looked into this a little bit more and it's confusing.

This bill was a big appropriations bill, so it included DoD, HHS, and Education spending. Also had a lot of things Democrats wanted, which was in the article. Planned Parenthood isn't touched, no DHS or wall funding, etc.. So I can see some Dems thinking it's the best they can get, but I still don't get why you don't make a public show of pushing for more movement on other issues and also maybe lets question why we're spending so much on the military, helping to bomb Yemen. etc...

There's also a DoD appropriations bill that came about a month ago, which is what has me a little confused. Similar amount and the No votes were pretty similar, except Gillibrand was in there with Sanders and maybe 1 or 2 less Republicans. Seems like that was an agreement on how much the defense spending would be, and this bill was actually authorizing that defense spending? And the Republicans packaged it up with the other stuff to ensure they had the Democratic votes? They also might be unrelated as they seem to cover different years. The previous one cites fiscal year 18, and this one 19.

Not at all sure about that after the little reading I did. I'm curious why Gillibrand voted differently on the two bills.

This is why Senator Sanders needs to be the chair of the Budget committee. Assuming he's not prez in 2020 of course :P

PostPosted: November 14 18, 9:55 am 
MLB.TV Customer Support

ghostrunner wrote:
I still don't get why you don't make a public show of pushing for more movement on other issues and also maybe lets question why we're spending so much on the military, helping to bomb Yemen. etc...

They're terrified as being seen as "anti-military". They sadly haven't come up with a good top-down, consistent message for it.

PostPosted: November 14 18, 10:36 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

vinsanity wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
I still don't get why you don't make a public show of pushing for more movement on other issues and also maybe lets question why we're spending so much on the military, helping to bomb Yemen. etc...

They're terrified as being seen as "anti-military". They sadly haven't come up with a good top-down, consistent message for it.

This is going to be key. How to talk about right-sizing the military.

Also, play Eisenhower’s farewell speech on a loop.

PostPosted: November 14 18, 4:32 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Very snowflakey thing to post, but a guy can dream, can’t he? As retirement nears, I think about the word “less” a lot these days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next