GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 13 19, 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Media bias?
PostPosted: January 18 17, 12:23 pm 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Ok, go after Fox, hell I don't care. I don't watch anything there anyway. Hannity is kind of a blowhard, and I can't stand 3 minutes of O'Reilly. Well, I watched Kelly from time to time because she is, um, a good anchor. Yeah that. I used to really like that show where a guy called Kondrake and Barnes I think would argue, because at the end of they day, they seemed friendly towards each other. Crossfire got this whole [expletive] fest started in my opinion, and Hannity and his whipping boy Colmes carried the torch from there.

I also watch some CNN, but watch mostly MSNBC.

I don't think CNN is as bad as some say, but MSNBC...please. I like watching, but wow. I did like Chris Matthews but turned him off when he basically laid blame for the Boston bombings on some right wing racist when some water heater blew up at a Martin Luther school or something the same day. It's almost like he wanted to be a right wing nut.

So, when you run down FOX as is always done, do you feel the same about MSNBC? I don't think so. Why? Because they say what you want to hear, so they're ok. That's why a large number like Fox. Same deal.

But you all know I'm conservative, not hard to figure. But I don't hate liberals and the shows they watch. I'm pretty sure I'd get along with most everybody here that hates my politics. Well, middle might beat me up, not sure about that. Actually, I rarely ever talk about politics anyway except here, because it never ends well. When people start talking politics, I start talking accounting...I find that's a good a way as any to disperse a crowd.

I'm mostly curious as to whether the people on the other side see the bias that is there, or don't.

Post subject: Re: Media bias?
PostPosted: January 18 17, 1:08 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I don't watch those shows, other than what gets linked up here.

PostPosted: January 18 17, 1:08 pm 
Perennial All-Star

The way I see it, Fox is way to the right on the political spectrum. MSNBC is pretty far left. CNN, as much as the right-wing would like to paint them leftist, really is pretty middle of the road. They try to get opinions from both sides. Neither Fox or MSNBC seems to do that much.

Here's where I go from that...

What are the agendas of Fox and MSNBC (or the right wing and the left wing, if you will)? In my opinion, the conservative agenda is literally dangerous -- to the poor, to women, to minorities, and the environment. The progressive agenda is willing to eschew some aspects of the free market to help protect minorities, women, the poor, the environment.

So, yeah, I see the bias on both sides, and maybe they skew similarly distance-wise on the political spectrum, but one end of that spectrum is dangerous and the other, not so much.

PostPosted: January 18 17, 1:20 pm 
Snayke's Bottomline

Yes, I would say MSNBC leans left, but I haven't watched much of that station or any cable programming since 2008. I think cable news is destructive and toxic and obscures the nuts and bolts of policy issues for hot takes. Even though there are some hosts out there who make salient points and lead good discussion, we should be getting our news from actual news, not filtered through a pundit's view.

PostPosted: January 18 17, 1:23 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Cable news on the whole is a waste of time. But I think you can find good journalism on all those networks. Big problem is they refuse to devote enough time to any views. Why you need 4-5 network employed commentators on a given segment is beyond me. Question politicians and give them time to answer. Of course some politicians also like not having much time to answer.

Written journalism is better 90% of the time.

PostPosted: January 18 17, 1:40 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
I'll tune into all 3 from time to time. There are more folks at Fox that are automatic channel changers (Hannity/O'Reilly/Rove/Cavuto) than the other two but other than that you pretty much get polarized viewpoints not objective reporting.

It's fun to tune in when breaking news is happening. What is "must-see TV" event on one channel isn't even discussed on the other because it doesn't fit their agenda. Pretty much reflects today's political environment (and likely had a hand in creating it).

PostPosted: January 18 17, 2:02 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Farewell Friends wrote:
I think cable news is destructive and toxic

Exactly. The main problem with TV news is that it is terrible not that it has partisan leanings. The partisan stuff is relevant mostly because cable news fills its time with partisan hackery because that is the cheapest and easiest way to fill time. Also, outrageous nonsense (see Trump) brings eyeballs.

PostPosted: January 18 17, 2:03 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Interesting related info about how media consumption breaks down along voting lines:
http://www.journalism.org/2017/01/18/tr ... tion-news/

PostPosted: January 18 17, 4:34 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

I avoid those things like the plaque. I don't care if it's Fox or MSNBC or hell I don't even like those debate shows on ESPN. They all create fake drama and drum up outcry over what often amounts to nothing. talk radio, cable news, etc it's all a big cancer on our society. I go as far as to avoid people who like that stuff. You've got to be pretty off your rocker to sit an listen to someone yelling and screaming over others all day.

For the record, MSNBC I don't know if it's as bad as fox, but it's pretty damn bad and I don't watch it either. Chris Matthews is terrible and what that Odonnel guy? He seems like such a big dick that he probably could just wear a condom for clothes.

I see the kind of reporting the BBC does and I get sad for America. None of our news orgs are professional like that and it's just sad.

PostPosted: January 18 17, 9:06 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I don't even have cable.

I agree that written news is better 90% of the time and you can also get a much wider variety of viewpoints.