GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 17 19, 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Media bias?
PostPosted: January 19 17, 4:16 am 
Hall Of Famer

In the old days, there may have been a liberal bias at CBS news when William Paley was CEO.

Edward R Murrow and his proteges (Cronkite, Severeid, Collingwood, Safer, Wallace etc) certainly had influence over the types of stories chosen and the way they were covered. Dan Rather was the inheritor of that tradition.

Now, however, everything centers on $$$. Ratings, subscriptions, eyeballs, and clicks.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 6:05 am 
Perennial All-Star

doe_boy wrote:
In the old days, there may have been a liberal bias at CBS news when William Paley was CEO.

Edward R Murrow and his proteges (Cronkite, Severeid, Collingwood, Safer, Wallace etc) certainly had influence over the types of stories chosen and the way they were covered. Dan Rather was the inheritor of that tradition.

Now, however, everything centers on $$$. Ratings, subscriptions, eyeballs, and clicks.

Right. for example, in the lead up to the Iraq War, I felt like any arguments against it were muffled. There would be a daily front page article with justification for the war, but just an occasional article against it buried in the middle of the paper. That was 2003, before the internet turned into the primary news medium. The media was almost acting as Bush/Cheney's loudspeaker to help promote the war. War sells news.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 7:50 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
I do catch snippets of BBC once in a while, and this should throw you all for a loop...when Al Jazeera was available here, I watched that quite a bit. A totally different take on the stories, but a side that I have never heard. It was not the 'Kill American Capitalist Pig Dogs' that it was made out to be.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 8:12 am 
Perennial All-Star

Leroy wrote:
I do catch snippets of BBC once in a while, and this should throw you all for a loop...when Al Jazeera was available here, I watched that quite a bit. A totally different take on the stories, but a side that I have never heard. It was not the 'Kill American Capitalist Pig Dogs' that it was made out to be.

Yeah, I saw lots of thoughtful news pieces, and overall pretty good journalism, from Al Jazeera.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 9:48 am 
'Burb Boy

Well this thread was predictable. I got a bingo on my TV news talking points card.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 10:08 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
I don't even know what that means.

But pardon me for being predictable.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 10:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Well this thread was predictable. I got a bingo on my TV news talking points card.

I know that's your field, Crowes. Do you think the critique of cable news is unfair? I have my share of problems with local news as well - mostly the intense focus on crime at the expense of government coverage - but like cable news I think there is some good stuff in there too.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 11:04 am 
'Burb Boy

ghostrunner wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

I know that's your field, Crowes. Do you think the critique of cable news is unfair? I have my share of problems with local news as well - mostly the intense focus on crime at the expense of government coverage - but like cable news I think there is some good stuff in there too.

I think some of it is tired criticism. I still believe TV is the best medium for breaking news. I guess Twitter and Facebook are better, but we try to emphasize those platforms where I work.

As far as local news covering crime over government, I think it's because TV is so heavily a visual medium, and a lot of government stories are boring (meeting) video. People stop watching. That's not to say we can't do better, but I think there's a lot of times where you'll hear "that sounds like a great newspaper story" in the newsroom. But, even if it's not our strong suit, it doesn't mean it should be ignored.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 11:10 am 
Everday Unicorn

I don't watch any cable news because very little of any of them are news, in the sense that they don't contain journalism, which is a presentation of verifiable facts, and a balance of witness accounts. The cable news shows are 90% talking heads spouting hot takes that are designed to get ratings. They get ratings by taking extreme positions and shouting down opposing viewpoints. I think cable news (of all political persuasions) has done a catastrophic disservice to the tone of the political discourse in our country, and has made people less knowledgeable about issues in our country, not more.

So I try to stick to written journalism. New York Times, NPR, and the Atlantic, primarily. Because those entities cite sources, spend time presenting facts, and present viewpoints from the key players, rather than shouting at me about what they think of those key players.

PostPosted: January 19 17, 1:28 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Leroy wrote:

Sadly, Al Jazeera America's business strategy of investing in serious journalism was a total bust.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next