GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 21 19, 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Raid In Yemen
PostPosted: February 2 17, 11:24 am 
MLB.TV Customer Support

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-milit ... nce-2017-2

Quote:
The US military said on Wednesday it was looking into whether more civilians were killed in a raid on Al Qaeda in Yemen on the weekend, in the first operation authorized by President Donald Trump as commander in chief.

US military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup preparations.

As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced Al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger-than-expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.

The military officials who spoke with Reuters on condition of anonymity said "a brutal firefight" took the lives of Owens and at least 15 Yemeni women and children. One of the dead was the [US Citizen] 8-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki.

Emphasis mine. Surely, we'll see years of congressional hearings to get to the bottom of this?

Post subject: Re: Raid In Yemen
PostPosted: February 2 17, 11:44 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Trump merely approved an operation that had been in the works for sometime and ended up being delayed past inauguration day. This one is definitely not on him.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 11:45 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

That said, if your point is that Republicans would've investigated Hillary over this you are correct.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 12:11 pm 
Hall Of Famer

lukethedrifter wrote:
Trump merely approved an operation that had been in the works for sometime and ended up being delayed past inauguration day. This one is definitely not on him.

I've read conflicting reports about this but if Trump authorized, and I'm not saying it warrants an investigation, it is on him. They had the opportunity to review intelligence and run plan past new staff before approving it. One of the reasonings I saw given for the delay was that Obama admin hoped intelligence might improve.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 12:29 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

ghostrunner wrote:
I've read conflicting reports about this but if Trump authorized, and I'm not saying it warrants an investigation, it is on him. They had the opportunity to review intelligence and run plan past new staff before approving it. One of the reasonings I saw given for the delay was that Obama admin hoped intelligence might improve.

FTA
Quote:
One of the three US officials said on-the-ground surveillance of the compound was "minimal, at best."

"The decision was made ... to leave it to the incoming administration, partly in the hope that more and better intelligence could be collected," that official said.

Quote:
The US officials said the extremists' base had been identified as a target before the Obama administration left office on January 20, but President Barack Obama held off approving a raid ahead of his departure.

I don't really hope for congressional investigations and hearings on this. It should not become a political talking point in the way Benghazi did. I do hope, however, it highlights to the White House that we can't be cavalier in taking military action. I hope it somehow makes military and intelligence officials and advisors...careful what they share with this administration in terms of options and risks.

I also hope armchair generals who questioned the amount of action taken in the region in the past years start to understand the risks of rushing in.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 1:03 pm 
Consider him admonished

vinsanity wrote:

I don't really hope for congressional investigations and hearings on this. It should not become a political talking point in the way Benghazi did. I do hope, however, it highlights to the White House that we can't be cavalier in taking military action. I hope it somehow makes military and intelligence officials and advisors...careful what they share with this administration in terms of options and risks.

I also hope armchair generals who questioned the amount of action taken in the region in the past years start to understand the risks of rushing in.

Yes on every bit of this.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 4:20 pm 
Perennial All-Star

vinsanity wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

FTA
Quote:
One of the three US officials said on-the-ground surveillance of the compound was "minimal, at best."

"The decision was made ... to leave it to the incoming administration, partly in the hope that more and better intelligence could be collected," that official said.

Quote:
The US officials said the extremists' base had been identified as a target before the Obama administration left office on January 20, but President Barack Obama held off approving a raid ahead of his departure.

I disagree. I hope they Benghazi the [expletive] out of this. Every flaw that the GOP commits and there be plenty needs to be highlighted. Besides, (all politics aside) if any public official makes a decision without enough evidence and it goes poorly, merits an investigation.

Democrats need to go far left on every issue to reign in the progressive voter and let Trump and the GOP destroy to so-called independent or undecided voter.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 4:35 pm 
Perennial All-Star

If and when they develop a "right to work" country, the DNC needs to jump on it.

So far...

Alienated immigrants, Muslims, foreign leaders. African-American generally don't approve.

They'll ruin whatever good standing they have with middle class and women voters with their policies.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 4:43 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Congressional investigations are a moot point as Democrats are in the minority in both the House and Senate. House Oversight Committee chair and leading piece of [expletive], Jason Chaffetz has released the committee's priorities, which include continuing the critical Hillary e-mail investigation and no oversight of Trump.

PostPosted: February 2 17, 4:48 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

Arthur Dent wrote:
Congressional investigations are a moot point as Democrats are in the minority in both the House and Senate. House Oversight Committee chair and leading piece of [expletive], Jason Chaffetz has released the committee's priorities, which include continuing the critical Hillary e-mail investigation and no oversight of Trump.

Which was the original snark on my part. It just furthers proves to anyone watching the GOP Benghazi investigations had nothing to do with truth.