GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 20 19, 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Where would you go?
PostPosted: March 26 19, 8:17 am 
Perennial All-Star

I was going to ask this in the Travel/Countries thread, but I think this has too much of a political undertone. So I'm asking it here.

I am sickened by this country. I hate it here. I am spending a fair amount of time and mental energy formulating escape plans at this point. I have a trans teenager, and I don't know how much longer he will be safe here. My daughter wants to get out too. I am not quite ready to pull them from school and leave just yet, but I am getting closer and closer by the day.

The problem is... where to go? The first thought is Canada of course. But they're so closely coupled to the US socially and economically that I wonder if this idiotic movement of conserva-fascism won't make it to Canada at some point too. So then I was thinking Europe. Ireland? Scotland? UK? Sweden? They are dealing with Brexit and a host of other issues as well. I was also thinking New Zealand, but I know it is tougher to emigrate there. And they just had the whole Christchurch thing. So they have some form of their own right wing terrorists too.

If you HAD to leave (flee) the country, where would you go?

edit to add... I realize Sweden is not part of the UK. It is just one of the places I've been looking at, you bunch of smart asses.

Post subject: Re: Where would you go?
PostPosted: March 26 19, 8:26 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Depends on the considerations.

Cost of housing, ease of a visa, travel time back home to visit my wife's aging and unwell parents, stuff like that is totally not an issue? Paris, hands-down.

If all those things are required considerations and I'm making a practical decision? Mexico City, also hands down. Probably the most progressive non-US/Canada city in the Americas. Great culture with more museums than every city except Paris. Incredible food. Very inexpensive housing. Gorgeous parks. Only a 4-hour flight from home if I want to come back and visit. The big challenge here is making sure you maintain a job with a US company that is paying you US dollars. Otherwise you gotta figure out how to live on a tight budget.

PostPosted: March 26 19, 8:28 am 
Hall Of Famer

Bermuda! It's a koo-koo place.

3:40 in

PostPosted: March 26 19, 8:32 am 
Perennial All-Star

33anda3rd wrote:
Depends on the considerations.

Cost of housing, ease of a visa, travel time back home to visit my wife's aging and unwell parents, stuff like that is totally not an issue? Paris, hands-down.

If all those things are required considerations and I'm making a practical decision? Mexico City, also hands down. Probably the most progressive non-US/Canada city in the Americas. Great culture with more museums than every city except Paris. Incredible food. Very inexpensive housing. Gorgeous parks. Only a 4-hour flight from home if I want to come back and visit. The big challenge here is making sure you maintain a job with a US company that is paying you US dollars. Otherwise you gotta figure out how to live on a tight budget.

Paris is probably out of my price range. And it's funny you mention MXC. I was just there in January for work. I had a fabulous time. The IT director of the local branch office took me out a couple of nights. It is a magnificent city. We got to talking about politics and whatnot and I told him I'd love to move somewhere else to get away from the trends here. He said normally he would tell people to come to his homeland. He has tremendous pride in its history. But he said he sees a lot of the same right wing undercurrents happening there, too. He said if I am looking for a place that won't have political unrest, that MX might not be what I want.

PostPosted: March 26 19, 8:50 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Probably Germany. Consistently strong economy. Progressive, though they certainly have their issues. Centrally located to Europe. Most people speak good English. Beer. Lots of beer.

PostPosted: March 26 19, 9:22 am 
Perennial All-Star

Popeye_Card wrote:
Probably Germany. Consistently strong economy. Progressive, though they certainly have their issues. Centrally located to Europe. Most people speak good English. Beer. Lots of beer.

Any idea how hard/easy it is to emigrate there? My last name is very german, so maybe they would welcome me easily? :D :D :D

PostPosted: March 26 19, 9:39 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

I thought the same thing as popeye. But, I tried to move to Germany like 15 years ago after college to get my masters in urban planning or some such thing. Didn't really matter, just wanted to move there. Talked to Bahaus University iirc and they were ready to let me come to school but I'd need to pass the DAF which was the deutsche fluency exam iirc which, uh, okay. I took German in HS. Went to a local community college and signed up for a class. Talked to the teacher about it and she was bascially like, yeah, no way you can pass it unless you move there for at a minimum 6 months and continue to study and immerse yourself in the language. So, I just said f it and never went.

But, if you can find a job where you don't need to speak their language and can find schools where your kids don't need to speak German to attend, it might be an option. That said, not sure it's so easy. Learning another language is brutal the older you get.

PostPosted: March 26 19, 9:59 am 
Hall Of Famer

I have also heard great things about Mexico City.

I worry about Canada too. I may be way off, but I suspect Canada would be a lot like Minnesota - extremely white, and seemingly "progressive" but then you learn about the underbelly and there are big problems for minorities. That's definitely true in Minnesota. Not sure about Canada.

A few years ago, I may have suggested Brazil but not any more. Yikes.

I would also suggest just looking at very progressive cities in the USA. They can be expensive though.

PostPosted: March 26 19, 10:40 am 
Hall Of Famer

Got an old work buddy that is moving to Sweden after several year's effort. Very happy for him. He's been going over there about twice a year for visits and job interviews. I don't think he has relatives but that might have been part of it.

It's possible if you work at it. good luck!

PostPosted: March 26 19, 10:56 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Portugal
Denmark
Croatia
Czechia
Australia