GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

How does the Trump presidency end?
Two term right wing hero – the next coming of Reagan 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Two terms but ends horribly – next coming of Dubya 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Impeached during 2nd term 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Dies during 2nd term 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Defeated in 2020 50%  50%  [ 19 ]
Impeached before 2020 29%  29%  [ 11 ]
Dies before 2020 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Leroy punches him 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:32 am 
Hall Of Famer

I don't think pelosi and the Dems should begin impeachment until McConnell signals he'd go along. Let the GOP own this [expletive].

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:54 am 
Perennial All-Star

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
I don't think pelosi and the Dems should begin impeachment until McConnell signals he'd go along. Let the GOP own this [expletive].

As much as I'd love to see his azz impeached, I agree this is the right angle.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:55 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

Yep

PostPosted: December 19 18, 1:53 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

lukethedrifter wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

Yep

Dem politicians still need to keep the impeachment fire stoked.

The public, Me, are going to lose any faith that is left if impeachment is not actively on the table. And McConnell will just ride out this apathy on the left, and the cognitive dissonance on the right.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 2:46 pm 
99% conan clips

...with a parade!

unless that joke has already been done

PostPosted: December 19 18, 4:15 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Popeye_Card wrote:
He loves campaigning though. It feels like that's the only thing he really does. He loves getting in front of a crowd.

I think he absolutely runs in 2020 because he loves it so much. And if he loses he'll have a truckload of excuses ready to roll. Election is rigged by the dems, yadda yadda.

Everyone around him will be indicted by then. And he will likely have been indicted under seal by then.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 4:39 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Not with a bang but a whimper.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 6:59 pm 
Hall Of Famer

doe_boy wrote:
Not with a bang but a whimper.

I think he will be very loud when he leaves office, whenever that is. He will be tweeting like crazy, probably go on Fox News and things like that to scream about how unfair he has been treated. But it may feel like a wimper, because at some point people are simply going to stop paying attention to him (the worst fate for someone like him). Once its clear he's failed, someone in the GOP will attack him and become the new torch bearer, and the entire right wing media apparatus will get behind this new person. Trump will revert back to being a page 3 tabloid celebrity, who maybe did a few good things while in office but ultimately was not far enough to the right. Trump will not be the new Reagan for the GOP.

PostPosted: December 20 18, 7:55 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

I wonder, for whom is it more damaging politically if Pelosi and the House get articles of impeachment passed and McConnell and the Senate shut them down in a straight party line vote in the Senate. There are two historical precedents in the modern era. Clinton was almost entirely politics and every vote up to the removal vote in the Senate (when some Republicans voted No on removal, saving the Clinton presidency) was a party-line vote. Nixon though was demonstrably a legit criminal whose case has a lot of the same elements as this one and the vote on the three articles of impeachment that mattered, though in a far less polarized time, was far from straight party-line in the House Judiciary Committee.

I think what happens in the House Judiciary Committee is where McConnell will take his cues. If the vote in that committee on 4-5 articles of impeachment (hopefully including one on the slam dunk emoluments clause) goes something like:
Democrats:
21 yes - 0 No
Republicans:
7 yes - 10 No
Then McConnell would be foolish, politically, to take a hard line against removal. If it's a straight party line 21-17 vote then he can take that hard line, but the real barometer I think will be if and when the House Judiciary Comm votes.

PostPosted: December 20 18, 8:20 am 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:

I wonder, for whom is it more damaging politically if Pelosi and the House get articles of impeachment passed and McConnell and the Senate shut them down in a straight party line vote in the Senate. There are two historical precedents in the modern era. Clinton was almost entirely politics and every vote up to the removal vote in the Senate (when some Republicans voted No on removal, saving the Clinton presidency) was a party-line vote. Nixon though was demonstrably a legit criminal whose case has a lot of the same elements as this one and the vote on the three articles of impeachment that mattered, though in a far less polarized time, was far from straight party-line in the House Judiciary Committee.

I think what happens in the House Judiciary Committee is where McConnell will take his cues. If the vote in that committee on 4-5 articles of impeachment (hopefully including one on the slam dunk emoluments clause) goes something like:
Democrats:
21 yes - 0 No
Republicans:
7 yes - 10 No
Then McConnell would be foolish, politically, to take a hard line against removal. If it's a straight party line 21-17 vote then he can take that hard line, but the real barometer I think will be if and when the House Judiciary Comm votes.

Very good points. Pelosi can gauge whether to pursue via this method as well. Bottom line, without GOP onboard, the Dems should wait on impeachment. Let them twist in the wind supporting this jackass who grows more dangerous by the day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next