GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 27 19, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: April 11 18, 11:32 am 
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Trump will implode until the writing is on the wall. If he ever loses an election bigly, he will start blaming all the people who supported him up to that point. You know it won't be his fault! So the implosion will only be after he's already been beaten. I am concerned that day may never come. If the economy somehow stays trending in a good way, especially for wages, I think he gets reelected in 2020. He'll still have his rabid base, and if wages are rising by pure luck, I think enough swing voters will vote to keep him. I'm also concerned that if there is some big blue wave in 2018, then 2020 could swing back the other way to some degree.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 11:34 am 
Hall Of Famer

The Mueller thing is a big wild card. If Republicans don't allow Trump to kneecap it and let it keep going to conclusion, who knows what will happen.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 11:39 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

33anda3rd wrote:
He was inaugurated with a 41.3% disapproval rating and that number is now 53.1% though. Twelve percent is a lot. Granted, we can't fully trust polls, we learned that lesson the hard way those 17 months ago. With farmers upset about tariffs their pocketbooks will speak more to their vote than a border wall.....I think.

Mostly I asked the question originally because I think who they start positioning as their next leader in the House will give us a roadmap of where the party leadership, possibly excluding the Trump camp or not taking direction from the White House fully, decides to position the GOP for the midterms and then the 2020 general. What will the party attempt to convey to the farmers and other blue-collar voters, as well as the evangelicals and the single-issue abortion voters and so on, as the direction in which they're headed.

Like Michael said, I think the Trump takeover of the GOP is complete. Rather than stay and fight for the soul of the party the Jeff Flakes, Bob Corkers and Daryl Issas of the party are cashing out rather than losing to Trumpers in the primaries. The GOP has always had this Faustian bargain between corporate and working class whites (let's be real, btw, the GOP is a white people party). The corporate wing has used social issues and racial hostility to manipulate the passions of the working class wing. Trump has taken all of that passion and used it to enfeeble the corporate, socially moderate wing. There is no longer a party center, just a hostage situation with Trump and his minions holding the suits at gunpoint. He took over their primary process by proving that racism and xenophobia alone were powerful enough to defeat an entire field of the GOP establishment, including the lunatics like Ted Cruz. He's taken over the GOP propaganda outfit, Fox News. There's no place left for people like Paul Ryan, corporate sycophants, unless they are personally willing to join in all the immigrant bashing and race baiting.

The only thing that saves the GOP as we know it before Trump is his impeachment and removal. Until then, only a Trumper can lead the party. Ryan's replacement will be Kevin McCarthy, a Trumper and Putin sympathizer through and through.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 12:35 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

You guys are crazy or overly optimistic if you think this is the end for Republican Party. Unless you mean for like 30 months or so.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 12:59 pm 
Hall Of Famer

lukethedrifter wrote:
You guys are crazy or overly optimistic if you think this is the end for Republican Party. Unless you mean for like 30 months or so.

Yeah - I'm old enough to remember this Time cover with a story questioning the viability of the GOP after Nixon. Ha!

PostPosted: April 11 18, 1:02 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I wonder if Ryan is considering a primary challenge in 2020.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 1:10 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

lukethedrifter wrote:

To kill the Republican Party, you'd have to have a Democratic Party with an implementable plan. So, yeah, not gonna happen.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 1:36 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

thrill wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

To kill the Republican Party, you'd have to have a Democratic Party with an implementable plan. So, yeah, not gonna happen.

I'm not saying Trump is the end of the Republican party. I'm saying Trump has remade the Republican party in his image (for the time being). "Mainstream" Republicans have no place in Trump's GOP, unless they are willing to get on board with stuff like the wall, overt racism, purging immigrants, and haphazard foreign and economic policy. The part of the GOP base that has no interest in the value of expertise has taken over.

Unless Trump's image becomes tarnished in the eyes of his base this is how it's going to stay within the GOP for the foreseeable future. Moderates are not going to win Republican primaries while Trump is out there doing his thing and keeping his mob of Archie Bunkers riled up. If Trump, on the other hand, ends up in prison or ends up resigning in disgrace, maybe the slightly-less-bad wing of the GOP can regain control.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 1:43 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

G. Keenan wrote:
Moderates are not going to win Republican primaries while Trump is out there doing his thing and keeping his mob of Archie Bunkers riled up..

That's the most [expletive] up part of all of this. The Republicans have absolutely become the Trump party AND that's probably the only shot at winning they have until they reset somehow.

PostPosted: April 11 18, 1:44 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next