GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 21 19, 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: March 20 17, 5:07 am 
Hall Of Famer

A thread for stories of people shocked that Trump is, well... Tump.

Burned out cattle ranchers in Kansas:

Quote:
Beyond the toll of the fire, a frustration also crops up in conversation after conversation. Ranchers said they felt overlooked amid the tumult in Washington, and were underwhelmed by the response of a new president who had won their support in part by promising to champion America’s “forgotten men and women.”

“This is the country that elected Donald Trump,” said Garth Gardiner, driving a pickup across the 48,000-acre Angus beef ranch he runs with his two brothers. They lost about 500 cows in the fires. “I think he’d be doing himself a favor to come out and visit us.”

Mr. Gardiner voted for Mr. Trump, and said he just wanted to hear a presidential mention of the fires amid Mr. Trump’s tweets about the rapper Snoop Dogg, the East Coast blizzard and the rudeness of the press corps.

“Two sentences would go a long way,” Mr. Gardiner said.

Yo, Gardiner, be thankful hes not Treading On You. Man up dude.

Quote:
Aaron Sawyers, an agriculture extension agent with Kansas State University, got so upset with the delays in and strings attached to getting relief, and what he called a lackluster response from Washington, that he wrote a Facebook post on Tuesday urging friends to barrage lawmakers to loosen up government money for ranchers to replace fences and rebuild their devastated herds.

“This is our Hurricane Katrina,” Mr. Sawyers said. The political response to the fires convinced him that Washington, even with an administration supported by 83 percent of Clark County voters in the election, was still “out of touch and didn’t care about us.”

“None of them are worth a damn, Republicans or Democrats,” he said.

But Hillary was worse. Come on, say it, SAY IT!

PostPosted: March 20 17, 7:44 am 
bronoun enthusiast

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/19/h ... XPeUjgRfwz

The two biggest factors at play. First was trusting Trump for some idiotic reason.

Quote:
“Originally the president said he wasn’t going to do nothing to Medicaid,” Mr. Waltimire said the other day after a rehab session. “Now they say he wants to take $880 billion out of Medicaid. That’s going to affect a lot of people who can’t afford to get insurance.”

The second is this age-old false premise about "personal responsibility" without any self-awareness.
Quote:
“People in this community are very conservative. They struggle with the federal budget deficit, and they like the idea of personal responsibility,” said Phil Ennen, the president and chief executive of Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers, which has a 75-bed hospital in Bryan. “But at the same time, we have a lot of friends and family and neighbors who just don’t have a lot going for them. There is a population out there that needs Medicaid. That’s the dilemma.”

When personal responsibility stops being an idea and they find themselves under the grindstone of the marketplace, all of a sudden welfare isn't such a bad thing.

Taking these photos of sickly, old white people solemnly gazing into the distance as they reconcile with who they elected has become a booming industry.

Quote:
A new Pew Research Center survey indicated that the number of Republicans making below $30,000 a year who believe the federal government has a responsibility to ensure health coverage for all had risen to 52 percent from 31 percent last year.

Guess what, folks? You aren't republicans. Wake up.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 9:44 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I don't get any perverse pleasure out of this. Am not saying you guys do.

This is awful, and I'm guessing the people in this story are outliers somewhat. Most don't realize what's a-happening until the fallout hits them in the face. Because the diversions will continue to be a-plenty.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 10:31 am 
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
“This is our Hurricane Katrina,” Mr. Sawyers said. The political response to the fires convinced him that Washington, even with an administration supported by 83 percent of Clark County voters in the election, was still “out of touch and didn’t care about us.”

Comparing a bunch of cattle dying to Hurricane Katrina is good stuff. Like 1800+ people died in Katrina and countless others lost their homes.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 10:44 am 
Hall Of Famer

thrill wrote:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/19/health/republicans-health-care-affordable-care-act-midwest.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/XPeUjgRfwz

The two biggest factors at play. First was trusting Trump for some idiotic reason.

During the election, whenever the trust issue was brought up, Trump supporters would always just deflect and say Clinton was also untrustworthy. Which isn't wrong. "Trust" was not a strong suit for either candidate. But it also feels like people either forgot or simply overlooked just how much of a scam artist Trump really is. Just because Hillary was bad in this area does not mean Trump was good. Or put another way, somehow Hillary's emails were a much bigger negative for her than Trump University was for Trump.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 12:01 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Freed Roger wrote:

This is awful, and I'm guessing the people in this story are outliers somewhat. Most don't realize what's a-happening until the fallout hits them in the face. Because the diversions will continue to be a-plenty.

I look at it like this. Many of these people have been mislead for decades and on the surface the Republican party to these people seem alright. They have been fear mongered to fear blacks and Muslims and the right says "we have the answers and will make you safe." Not to mention while 16 years ago 9-11 was awful and it's pretty easy to remember that. They have been mislead to think America is on the verge of bankruptcy at any second because let's be honest the national debt is a big scary number if you don't understand GDP and economics and so on. Also their media has been completely cooped by people who cram Republican good, democrat evil down their throats.

I get it to some extent. I understand why these people think the way they do. Think of it as the little old Grandma who falls for a telemarketer scam. She's not a bad person, she's not necessarily dumb, she just fell for it.

For that group of people I feel bad for them. They've been taken and I think more and more of them see that. It has to be a sad scary thought.

Still there is a group of people out there that I am glad this is happening to. I know it makes me a terrible person but I think of this one pretty well off guy in my town who every day railed against Obama and was completely in the Trump tank. I know he's smart enough to know he's been had, but he still won't admit it and for him I'm really happy his house of cards is tumbling down around him.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 12:05 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:

But maybe not for long, we shall see if they turn on him. Most of the people who voted for Trump voted for a guy who stands only for their racism, xenophobia, fear and ignorance. He doesn't stand for their wallets or their actual way of life and if they end up voting in mid-terms and '20 based on stuff that actually has a tangible impact on them ol' Cheeto Jesus is screwed.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 12:53 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
pioneer98 wrote:
During the election, whenever the trust issue was brought up, Trump supporters would always just deflect and say Clinton was also untrustworthy. Which isn't wrong. "Trust" was not a strong suit for either candidate. But it also feels like people either forgot or simply overlooked just how much of a scam artist Trump really is. Just because Hillary was bad in this area does not mean Trump was good. Or put another way, somehow Hillary's emails were a much bigger negative for her than Trump University was for Trump.

The Clinton Foundation was a much bigger negative than the Trump Foundation.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 1:12 pm 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
I think they both stink. But somehow, people seem to trust more a known liar, that keeps lying and doesn't care...I felt that way about Bill Clinton. It is the sneaky liar that makes themselves out to be a truth teller that people seem to be suspicious about. I don't know. Maybe human nature.

PostPosted: March 20 17, 1:28 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I feel bad for the situation they're in or any upcoming situation in regards to Health care, I don't feel bad that they feel swindled by a president who ran on a campaign of fairy tale policies, sexism, and racism, as his surrogate say, "This is what he ran on".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next