GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 19 19, 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: June 7 17, 8:22 am 
Snayke's Bottomline

Karen Handel letting slip what most Republicans believe last night:

Quote:
During Tuesday night’s debate for an open U.S. House seat in Georgia, Republican candidate Karen Handel said that she does not support a “livable wage.”

“This is an example of the fundamental difference between a liberal and a conservative: I do not support a livable wage,” she said on Atlanta’s WSB-TV in response to a viewer question about raising the minimum wage. “What I support is making sure that we have an economy that is robust with low taxes and less regulation.”

Handel said that raising the minimum wage could “dramatically” hurt small businesses.

Handel’s opponent, Democrat Jon Ossoff, said that “the minimum wage should be a living wage.” He noted that he supports raising the minimum wage gradually so that businesses can slowly adapt to the increase.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... vable-wage

PostPosted: June 7 17, 8:48 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Farewell Friends wrote:
Karen Handel letting slip what most Republicans believe last night:

Quote:
During Tuesday night’s debate for an open U.S. House seat in Georgia, Republican candidate Karen Handel said that she does not support a “livable wage.”

“This is an example of the fundamental difference between a liberal and a conservative: I do not support a livable wage,” she said on Atlanta’s WSB-TV in response to a viewer question about raising the minimum wage. “What I support is making sure that we have an economy that is robust with low taxes and less regulation.”

Handel said that raising the minimum wage could “dramatically” hurt small businesses.

Handel’s opponent, Democrat Jon Ossoff, said that “the minimum wage should be a living wage.” He noted that he supports raising the minimum wage gradually so that businesses can slowly adapt to the increase.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... vable-wage

Honestly, if a business, any business, cannot pay its workers enough money to live on why are they in business? If you can work 40+ hours at a company and still not have enough money to pay rent and buy groceries what is the value of said business to society?

We, the taxpayers, are subsidizing all of the business that do not pay a living wage. We are paying for Medicaid for their workers to whom they don't give healthcare benefits. We are paying housing subsidies for their workers who cannot afford to rent where they live on $8 an hour. We are paying for the SNAP benefits for workers who don't earn enough money to buy enough food to feed their children. Etc., etc.

Why does the debate around a living wage not discuss how taxpayers are subsidizing not workers, but the companies that refuse to pay a decent living wage, and their shareholders?

PostPosted: June 7 17, 9:04 am 
Snayke's Bottomline

Good questions. Here's mine: why do some people think if you can only find work in retail or food service that you don't deserve respectable wages? Why are so many people okay with a permanent underclass?

PostPosted: June 7 17, 9:10 am 
Hall Of Famer

A common sentiment I hear is "Why should fast food workers make $15/hour? Most of them are not good workers or lazy" etc etc etc. It's usually in a post where some worker screwed up their order.

I always point out: higher wages would attract better workers. You get what you pay for. Maybe the better workers would stick around longer, too, if they made a decent wage. Instead, they are constantly looking for a better job because these jobs suck so bad and pay so little.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 9:12 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Farewell Friends wrote:
Good questions. Here's mine: why do some people think if you can only find work in retail or food service that you don't deserve respectable wages? Why are so many people okay with a permanent underclass?

Because American culture idolizes the rich and hates the poor.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 9:26 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Farewell Friends wrote:

Because Republicans are terrible people. That's the root of it, to pretend any different is nonsense. On every issue the Republican party picks the evil choice. Just go down the list. Climate change, gay marriage, immigration, religious freedom (except theirs), minimum wage, etc. Every issue the right chooses the [expletive] choice. They are [expletive] [expletive]. It's time to quit pretending different.

Let's also not forget what the prosperity doctrine that so many of them believe in says. These people literally believe the poor are hated by god.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 9:58 am 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

I've worked in the non-profit world since I was a teenager. I'm used to making very little money. But one reason I do not support raising the minimum wage, is that I don't think we should make working at fast food a livable wage. These are stepping stone jobs so that people can earn some money while in school or in a transition. It's easier to blame corporations for being greedy. But if you raise minimum wage to $15/hr, what happens to programs like the one I run where we are funded by the Department of Mental Health? The staff members that I supervise make $11/hr. That will be a significant increase, and my program's budget would be shot. We wouldn't be able to support it without more funding from the government. Who's paying for that? And that's not to mention the many other non-profits funded by the government where employees make less than $15/hr.

My job is to develop job skills for adults with developmental disabilities through volunteering with the overall goal of gainful employment.

Basically my point is that there are plenty of people willing to work for the minimum wage. At the end of the day, I think it's fair for someone to make $8/hr at McDonalds. If they're making $15/hr, who would be willing to get paid the same to work in my profession when you are responsible for the well being of others? I'd like to address non-profits receiving more funding before we worry about a career McDonalds employee.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 10:01 am 
Puppy Murderer

The econ major in me is sympathetic to the idea that raising the minimum wage isn't going to be much of a solution, but it's stagnated enough that it's hard to oppose any politically possible increase. For unskilled jobs where the minimum wage is the biggest concern though, the fix there should be with social safety net/basic income.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 10:01 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

TGantz wrote:
I've worked in the non-profit world since I was a teenager. I'm used to making very little money. But one reason I do not support raising the minimum wage, is that I don't think we should make working at fast food a livable wage. These are stepping stone jobs so that people can earn some money while in school or in a transition. It's easier to blame corporations for being greedy. But if you raise minimum wage to $15/hr, what happens to programs like the one I run where we are funded by the Department of Mental Health? The staff members that I supervise make $11/hr. That will be a significant increase, and my program's budget would be shot. We wouldn't be able to support it without more funding from the government. Who's paying for that? And that's not to mention the many other non-profits funded by the government where employees make less than $15/hr.

My job is to develop job skills for adults with developmental disabilities through volunteering with the overall goal of gainful employment.

Basically my point is that there are plenty of people willing to work for the minimum wage. At the end of the day, I think it's fair for someone to make $8/hr at McDonalds. If they're making $15/hr, who would be willing to get paid the same to work in my profession when you are responsible for the well being of others? I'd like to address non-profits receiving more funding before we worry about a career McDonalds employee.

This is depressing. Keep the bar low.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 10:02 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

TGantz wrote:

I think you should quit worrying about your jobs wages, because it's a stepping stone job. Make some money while you're in school and then go get a real job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next