GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 19 18, 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: June 6 17, 9:03 pm 
Snayke's Bottomline

After five years proving that trickle down isn't real and lower taxes don't grow revenue, Kansas lawmakers struck a blow to their idiot governor: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 91724.html

PostPosted: June 6 17, 10:53 pm 
'Burb Boy

On one hand, I feel bad for the Kansans who suffered and are suffering from this.

On the other hand, they kept voting for this.

PostPosted: June 6 17, 11:43 pm 
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Whoa, Kansans are actually taxed like they're "a real boy".

PostPosted: June 6 17, 11:45 pm 
Hall Of Famer

This seems like a really important story, and I'd like to know more about how Kansas politics evolved over this period. What was the constituency for the original tax cut and how did it break?

PostPosted: June 7 17, 5:14 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

planet planet wrote:
Whoa, Kansans are actually taxed like they're "a real boy".

Ha ha.

I did a tax return for a Missouri business partnership with KS location. I went to allocate KS its share- and KS doesnt tax outstate business. So instead the partners pay MO the same tax that KS could have had. Dumb Kansas.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 6:31 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Arthur Dent wrote:
This seems like a really important story, and I'd like to know more about how Kansas politics evolved over this period. What was the constituency for the original tax cut and how did it break?

This won't answer all of your questions, but I remember it being interesting. They will claim that he wasn't given enough runway for the trickle down to become evident, but that's not worth pursuing at the expense of Kansas social and physical infrastructure for a few more years.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/ ... experiment

PostPosted: June 7 17, 7:14 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/corporate-income-tax-revenues-drop-missouri-not-because-economy#stream/0

This above is part of MO's GOP created budget crisis. Cut taxes and revenues dropped. Doh!

I don't think trickle down works at any level-but especially doesn't work at the state level. The Federal situation is entirely different-its a bigger pie with many more variables and stimuli for the economy. Plus the fed can borrow more and print money.

States are completely different animals. The savings from business tax cuts that are supposed to be job creators don't necessarily stay instate. Most businesses that are devoted to taxes as a profit center are just poachers and don't care about rates-they want tax credits and abatements.
With state income tax cuts- it usually results in higher other taxes (sales and Real estate -which becomes a rent increase.

Anyways - some states that have a taxable resource can get away with this to a degree(TX, Alaska, etc). But for most part it is clear as can be that trickle down doesn't work at state levels (WI. MO. KS).

Illinois is a sad case of its own. Top heavy state. And Cub fans.

Last edited by Freed Roger on June 7 17, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 7:40 am 
'Burb Boy

Meanwhile it's still not a guarantee Kansas schools will start on time because lawmakers had to come up with a more equal way of spending on students. A bill passed the house and senate, but Brownback hasn't signed it yet. I'm not sure they'll have the votes for an override if he does.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 8:58 am 
99% conan clips

everything i've heard is that he is going to veto it. if a decision isn't made i'll be furloughed. just like last year.

PostPosted: June 7 17, 9:13 am 
tl;dr

I say this every time but trickle down is completely bogus and it makes no sense to me how people who aren't rich can buy into the idea. My dad is a believer in trickle down and no matter how much I try and convince him it doesn't make sense, he won't change his mind.

The biggest problem I see with the theory is that wealthy people don't invest money in a business to lose wealth which is what would have to happen for trickle down to work. The invest in a business so that MORE money flows up and into their pockets which is literally the opposite of what they try and convince the suckers who support the idea.

I'm not saying that people with money investing in businesses is a bad thing, just that this idea that if their taxes are lowered then they'll invest more in businesses which will magically put more money in the hands of the low and middle class is crazy to me.

I also don't see why the wealthy are so against giving poor people money. Give poor people a bit of money and they are going to spend it on bills, buying necessities, etc. which in turns filters right back up to the people who own businesses anyway.