GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 20 19, 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: July 31 17, 2:42 pm 
The Last Word

I'm curious luke, have you worked in or around a union shop lately? (I've forgotten what you do for a living)

PostPosted: July 31 17, 2:49 pm 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Leroy wrote:
I don't forget, I did say they were necessary in the past, and even to some extent today.

I guess if you read that the same as 'outlived their usefulness', ok.

Otherwise, I never said that.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 2:53 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Socnorb11 wrote:
I'm curious luke, have you worked in or around a union shop lately? (I've forgotten what you do for a living)

yes, for 22 years.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 2:57 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Leroy wrote:
Leroy wrote:
I don't forget, I did say they were necessary in the past, and even to some extent today.

I guess if you read that the same as 'outlived their usefulness', ok.

Otherwise, I never said that.

You didn't say that. Many do.

You said you were anti-union and suggest that they have limited usefulness today (necessary in the past, and even to some extent today). Help me if I'm misreading that.

Do you apply that same criticism(?) to corporations?*

*pardon my stupid question.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 4:03 pm 
The Last Word

lukethedrifter wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

yes, for 22 years.

OK.

I worked around one for 28 years, before being employed by a non-union company.

My experience with the union at my company (and what I've heard from others) is that the bulk of union resources is spent protecting bad employees, and the good employees get very little in return (because they don't need much........... they do their job, get left alone, and life is good). Good employees typically acknowledged that this was the case, too.

Maybe it's not that way everywhere, but I think unions have drifted in that direction over the years.

PostPosted: August 1 17, 7:51 am 
Hall Of Famer

Socnorb11 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

yes, for 22 years.

OK.

I worked around one for 28 years, before being employed by a non-union company.

My experience with the union at my company (and what I've heard from others) is that the bulk of union resources is spent protecting bad employees, and the good employees get very little in return (because they don't need much........... they do their job, get left alone, and life is good). Good employees typically acknowledged that this was the case, too.

Maybe it's not that way everywhere, but I think unions have drifted in that direction over the years.

This is kind of how unions are intended to work in terms of day to day operation. This is how defense attorneys work. Most of their clients are probably guilty and deserving of some kind of punishment, but the attorney's job is make sure the punishment isn't excessive and if they can make a case it's undeserved then they do that too. And they're helpful as a deterrent to abuse of power. The system doesn't work without them. If you're going to grant companies great amounts of influence and power, there has to be a counterbalance that exists to benefit workers.

That's not even getting into collective bargaining agreements that benefit all the workers.

But - I imagine unions are going to be further weakened by the fleeting nature of service level jobs now. If machines are taking orders, serving food, driving themselves, or making deliveries and people are constantly retraining, then it's going to be hard for them (workers and unions) to gather power. I'm coming around to thinking basic income might be needed to provide that counterbalance against corporations/capitalism. Single payer or something similar would help too.

PostPosted: August 1 17, 12:32 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Nissan attacked for one of 'nastiest anti-union campaigns' in modern US history
Quote:
Days before a potentially historic union vote at the Nissan plant in Canton, Mississippi, the car company has been accused of running one of the “nastiest anti-union campaigns in the modern history of the American labour movement”.

The vote, a fiercely contested effort by the United Auto Workers (UAW) union to represent a foreign automaker’s US plant, is planned for Thursday and Friday this week. It comes as US unions are hopeful they can overturn a series of defeats as they seek to build membership in southern states, where manufacturers have moved to take advantage of lower wages and non-union workforces.
Quote:
Nissan has responded with fierce opposition. The company has blitzed local TV with anti-union ads and stands accused of both threatening and bribing workers to vote no. It requires workers to regularly attend anti-union roundtable group meetings as well as one-on-one meetings with their direct supervisors, some of whom have worn “vote no” T-shirts to work.

The Republican governor, Phil Bryant, has also come out hard for Nissan. “If you want to take away your job, if you want to end manufacturing as we know it in Mississippi, just start expanding unions,” Bryant said last week.

Washad Catchings, a Nissan worker, said: “There is no atmosphere of free choice in the Canton plant, just fear, which is what Nissan intends.”
Quote:
The NLRB alleged that Nissan had violated the law in these anti-union sessions by warning that workers would lose wages and benefits if they supported the union.

The NLRB also found that a supervisor at the plant told workers that if they spoke out against the union, he would personally ensure that they received increased wages and benefits.

PostPosted: February 26 18, 7:08 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: March 28 18, 7:32 am 
Hall Of Famer

A Find at Gap: Steady Hours Can Help Workers, and Profits
Quote:
The study randomly assigned about two-thirds of the stores to a so-called treatment group, in which managers were encouraged to provide workers with more consistent start and stop times from day to day, and more consistent schedules from week to week. Many managers were also authorized to slightly increase the total number of payroll hours that they could allocate to their workers. Scheduling at the remaining one-third of the stores continued largely as usual.

The result: The change in average sales during the experiment was 7 percent higher at the stores subject to the new policies than at the stores in the control group.

PostPosted: March 28 18, 7:40 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next