GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 20 19, 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iran
PostPosted: June 20 19, 10:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

Seems as though Trump is sometimes bellicose as a negotation strategy, but also genuinely doesn't want to go to war with Iran and doesn't see how the bellicosity makes it worse. (Supposedly Tucker Carlson also has to talk him down over the phone?) Pompeo, Bolton and Lindsey Graham seem to want war and Graham in particular tries to play Trump's words into action. Pompeo and Bolton keep pushing independently. Only Trump is indecisive and aimless, so to all of their likely dismay he comes out and says something conciliatory or at least mitigates the extent of the conflict. He did something like that the other day, but here's today's wild ride.

Iran already said "hell yes we did it"

PostPosted: June 20 19, 11:21 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Lucky for us we have the best of the best on the job -- Bolton, Pompeo, Trump, whoever the hell is Secretary of Defense at any given moment -- first class minds and experienced statesmen with a short, medium, and long term plan for American geopolitical success in the 21st century.

Nothing to worry about with top people like that on the job.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 11:24 am 
Hall Of Famer

Just realizing "Iran made a very big mistake" was sincerely meant as "oh my gosh, what a mishap"

Amazing.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 12:54 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I mean, we flew a drone over their airspace, and they shot it down. Imagine if Iran flew a drone over, say, Florida. We'd be freaked the [expletive] out.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 1:43 pm 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
I mean, we flew a drone over their airspace, and they shot it down. Imagine if Iran flew a drone over, say, Florida. We'd be freaked the [expletive] out.

30 miles off Florida and they would flip out. And that would be reasonable, but it just shows you how much we’re already up in everybody’s business.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 2:06 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

You know, the Obama plan towards Iran was pretty smart. Was the nuclear deal perfect, no? But it nonetheless prevented Iran from developing a nuclear weapon for the next 10 years (or was it 15?), and the sanctions relief that came with it promised to improve Iran's domestic economy and thereby empower the moderate political factions there that argue for engagement with the world instead of permanent hostility. It also got all of our Euro allies plus Russia and China on board, so that if Iran were to do what it just did and start enriching more uranium, shooting down drones, whatever, we could form a more formidable military and diplomatic response.

Pulling out of that deal was dumb as hell. Now we've got nothing. No leverage, no allies, no moral high ground. All we can do now is hope to win a pissing contest that we started.

Dumb ass people are in charge here.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 3:52 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
G. Keenan wrote:
You know, the Obama plan towards Iran was pretty smart. Was the nuclear deal perfect, no? But it nonetheless prevented Iran from developing a nuclear weapon for the next 10 years (or was it 15?), and the sanctions relief that came with it promised to improve Iran's domestic economy and thereby empower the moderate political factions there that argue for engagement with the world instead of permanent hostility. It also got all of our Euro allies plus Russia and China on board, so that if Iran were to do what it just did and start enriching more uranium, shooting down drones, whatever, we could form a more formidable military and diplomatic response.

Pulling out of that deal was dumb as hell. Now we've got nothing. No leverage, no allies, no moral high ground. All we can do now is hope to win a pissing contest that we started.

Dumb ass people are in charge here.

It's a long list but this is in the top five dumbest things he's done. All because it was Obama's deal. What a petty POS.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 4:54 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Assuming he had people skilled enough to pull it off, I fully expect he would sign the same agreement and declare victory.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 5:22 pm 
Hall Of Famer

ghostrunner wrote:
Assuming he had people skilled enough to pull it off, I fully expect he would sign the same agreement and declare victory.

That would make sense; he basically did that with renegotiating NAFTA, but to your point, I don't think he has people that can do it. He's yoked himself to a bunch of crazies who will actively sabotage any remotely reasonable agreement as happened with the DACA negotiations. Best case is probably something like with North Korea where he does a fake deal to declare victory or just decides to ignore the issue like with Venezuela where he apparently got bored. Not sure how possible even that is if he retains a national security clique dedicated to continued provocation and confrontation.

PostPosted: June 20 19, 7:55 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I know it's more of my taxpayer dollar down the shetter, but I am ok with an occasional drone getting shot down. Eat it drone!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next