GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 19 19, 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: August 9 17, 1:29 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

If the Kim's developed nukes to avoid becoming Saddam, et al, using them would be counter productive to the goal of staying alive and in power.

PostPosted: August 9 17, 1:31 pm 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
So I shouldn't worry about N Korea, but I should be scared to death of what we might do.

Sounds reasonable.

PostPosted: August 9 17, 1:32 pm 
99% conan clips

yeah, 'cause thats what people are saying

PostPosted: August 9 17, 1:34 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Leroy wrote:
So I shouldn't worry about N Korea, but I should be scared to death of what we might do.

Sounds reasonable.

Given the disastrous invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, yes, you should.

PostPosted: August 9 17, 1:42 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Leroy wrote:

Sounds reasonable.

This subject is going to be extremely difficult for you to dissemble in your typically pointless, straw man loving way, but even acknowledging that degree of difficulty, I think you can do better than this.

PostPosted: August 9 17, 1:52 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

The main/only side of the equation we can exert any sort of control over is ours/US side. Again- the problem is we gave too much of that control to toddler-brained dickhead who is surrounded by GOP pussies that want to feel like they have a penis again.

PostPosted: August 9 17, 1:55 pm 
has a link from 538 to share

thrill wrote:
If the Kim's developed nukes to avoid becoming Saddam, et al, using them would be counter productive to the goal of staying alive and in power.

I agree with this. Although once a country gains nukes you have to worry about what might come next. Destabilizing NK is much, much riskier now. That's why engaging the country diplomatically where we can exert some influence might be preferable to tough talk rhetoric and isolation.

That said, the people living in NK are in a horrible situation so normalizing relations and stabilizing the NK government is a huge bummer. realpolitik, etc.

PostPosted: August 9 17, 2:05 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Michael wrote:
It sucks, but they've basically won and no amount of tough talk is going to change that. It's time to take the L and move on to something more productive.

If we take the L is that really going to change their aggression toward us? Diplomacy requires 2 way conversation and, regardless who has held power in the US, N. Korea has never had any interest in listening to us or working with us. Or de-escalating anything.

Pakistan isn't openly aggressive toward us. Russia might talk a bunch, but they treat the US as equal parts allies and enemies when it suits their needs.

PostPosted: August 9 17, 2:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: August 9 17, 2:14 pm 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Ok, let's say the guy (Korean) ain't nuts and doesn't want to die. Explain why he is doing this. Respect? Money? Power?

I have no idea. But crazy or not (and I think me might be a bit nuts, but not dumb) he needs to step back. But I don't think he will at this point. He's gone too far. He'd look like a coward. Even talking would make him look weak. Pretty sure he doesn't want that.

I also have a hard time dealing honestly and openly with a country who basically sent an American kid that was pretty much dead. I can't just say, OK, starting now' we talk.

Do I trust Trump. No, not really. But I just don't think he's stupid enough to get us into a war with them. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If Cheney was the veep, my answer might be different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next