GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 21 19, 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: July 18 19, 12:02 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

GOP Congressman A Kinzinger- IL
Quote:
"I deeply disagree with the extreme left & have been disgusted by their tone. I woke up today equally disgusted - chants like 'send her back' are ugly, wrong, & would send chills down the spines of our Founding Fathers. This ugliness must end, or we risk our great union"

This may be the strongest statement against Trump racism by GOP this far, and is it really condemnation or rebuttal of Trump at all? Racism bad but McCarthyism OK... these are 4 freshman legislators in the overall minority party - out of 535 in Congress(counting senate).
The suggestion is there should be no place for them in representative govt, even though the people voted them in. Meanwhile the GOP have dozens of extremists in their ranks, which is fine - asshats and evangelicals need representation too. Major difference is the GOP has power and the extremists are not fringe characters, they are in leadership roles.

PostPosted: July 18 19, 12:30 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure why the extreme left even needs to come into it. Collins said something similar.

There's been a couple GOP disavowals that didn't both sides it. I think Murkowski's was pretty solid. This was before the rally.

Quote:
There is no excuse for the president’s spiteful comments –they were absolutely unacceptable and this needs to stop. We have enough challenges addressing the humanitarian crises both at our borders and around the world. Instead of digging deeper into the mud with personal, vindictive insults –we must demand a higher standard of decorum and decency.

PostPosted: July 18 19, 4:48 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Looking at Rubio ridiculous equivalencies and the disdain for 4 newbie progressives out of 535 - just another display that Trumpism is completely a GOP creation and with all their money it isn't going away even after Trump.

In that regard, Rubio referencing all those GOP politicians -they all perpetuated racism. (Especially Reagan who coined Welfare Queen). Trump is just taking the worst of the GOP and outflanking them with verbiage and stoking violence.

PostPosted: July 28 19, 8:19 am 
Replies Authoritatively

This book is pretty damn great. Alberta basically tracks the history of how the GOP got here. It's a Trump book, but not a sensationalist tracker of the day-to-day craziness of his administration, rather a pretty thoughtful examination over several decades of how the GOP completely gave in to white nationalism and resentment politics and obstruction of any measures of progress, even when they're popular with the American people. Would be a great read for the Old-School Republican who morally objects to Trump and doesn't understand that the GOP hasn't represented them for most of their lifetime.

PostPosted: August 23 19, 6:50 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: August 24 19, 6:29 am 
Veteran Player

PostPosted: August 24 19, 9:41 am 
Perennial All-Star

David Koch was a libertarian and didn’t support Trump. Say nothing but good of the dead.

PostPosted: August 24 19, 10:28 am 
Veteran Player

Mary1966 wrote:
David Koch was a libertarian and didn’t support Trump. Say nothing but good of the dead.

I mean, am I going to get Godwin'd here if I throw out the obvious example?

PostPosted: August 24 19, 10:34 am 
Perennial All-Star

Smith Corks One wrote:
Mary1966 wrote:

I once read an article in Mad magazine that was illustrated with stamps and one was a stamp of Will Rogers with his quote “I never met a man I didn’t like” and the next stamp was of Hitler. There are exceptions to every rule.

PostPosted: August 24 19, 11:16 am 
Veteran Player

Mary1966 wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:
Mary1966 wrote:

I once read an article in Mad magazine that was illustrated with stamps and one was a stamp of Will Rogers with his quote “I never met a man I didn’t like” and the next stamp was of Hitler. There are exceptions to every rule.

Yes. We just happen to disagree on who would constitute a justified exception. I do agree with the sentiment in general.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next