GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 11 19, 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Antifa
PostPosted: August 28 17, 12:27 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Pretty informative interview on Vox with the writer of the Antifascist Handbook.

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/25/16189064/antifa-charlottesville-activism-mark-bray-interview

PostPosted: August 28 17, 1:04 pm 
Everday Unicorn

Here's what I want to know.

Is it pronounced "an-TEE-fuh" or "anti-fah." The latter would be more accurate, since it's shorthand for anti-fascist. But it sounds weird.

PostPosted: August 28 17, 2:26 pm 
Mayor of GRB

heyzeus wrote:

Is it pronounced "an-TEE-fuh" or "anti-fah." The latter would be more accurate, since it's shorthand for anti-fascist. But it sounds weird.

I'm guessing "anti-fah," but I've only seen the term in print.

The former sounds like an ant rapper turned actress and television hostess.

PostPosted: August 28 17, 5:39 pm 
Consider him admonished

Is this Antifa?

PostPosted: August 28 17, 6:12 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Tim wrote:
Is this Antifa?

Yes. Dispicable.

PostPosted: August 28 17, 8:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I really don't get the masks.

I feel like their presence in Charlottesville was fine - about the right proportion to regular, unmasked protestors. I get thrill's argument there. If there's avowed white supremacists showing up in the hundreds, it makes sense to have some intimidation on the other side.

But when they're the dominant force in a protest, as with Berkeley yesterday, I have to admit I have a visceral reaction to dudes running around in masks and bandanas. It makes me nervous. There were maybe a dozen or so right wingers, and what seemed like hundreds of Antifa/black bloc types. They haven't killed anyone, so the right wing idea floating around that they're terrorists is absurd. And they're not showing up except to counter something heinous. But there were clips from lefty journalists of Antifa beating guys up, with one journalist throwing himself on top of one of the right wingers. A couple protestors knocked cameras out of journalists hands, and chased one a short distance. Seems like that may potentially end badly one day.

Though I guess it should be said that black bloc activity is not new for Berkeley.

PostPosted: August 28 17, 9:48 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
heyzeus wrote:

It's an-TEE-fuh. Trump's pronunciation skills are flawless.

PostPosted: August 29 17, 8:00 am 
bronoun enthusiast

ghostrunner wrote:
I get thrill's argument there. If there's avowed white supremacists showing up in the hundreds, it makes sense to have some intimidation on the other side.

Yeah, my whole thing is that the non-meme lord alt-right is scary and people are in danger when they show up to protest them. Antifa goes a long way to balancing the power equation and keeps people in check. They also sometimes tip the scales and instigate trouble. It's an impossible balance and I'm not supporting or defending them. Just pointing out that they're a natural response and that they aren't the moral equivalent of these right-wing hate groups (yet).

That said, anything you have to do in a mask probably isn't totally righteous and in a perfect world, they would be unnecessary.

PostPosted: August 29 17, 8:19 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Radbird wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

It's an-TEE-fuh. Trump's pronunciation skills are flawless.

Trump's "Antifa!" jab--and the crowd's reaction to it as a joke--was the scariest part of his crazy speech last week. It was the moment where he didn't just level the moral playing field with the neo-Nazi's and KKK. He stood up there and said, "hey, I did what I had to to call out the neo-Nazi's, OK?". While openly mocking the (violent, yes) opposition to those groups. It was equivalent to mocking Allied forces during WWII.

PostPosted: September 1 17, 8:44 pm 
99% conan clips

was this group around when barry was in charge? bush 2? prior? seems like, technically, they would have been. all admins would be guilty ,eh?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next