GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 6 19, 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: September 20 17, 3:18 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

wart57 wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:
I'm pretty sure no one called it the "war of northern aggression" during the war. That's straight out of the post war lost cause revisionist history.

You are correct - it was used after the war, in most cases long after the war so the non racist people of the South could falsely find reasons to honor those who died in the war. The racist folks didn't care what it was called, and the closet racists embraced this term to try to cover their racism.

Make no mistake the Civil War was about slavery, it is noted in the all the States articles of Secession.

National or regional pride is a funny thing, atrocities will be washed over to make people feel better about themselves.

Not every confederate soldier who fought or died was racist. Most of them probably were - a product of their time.

Nuances are tough, it is just easier to say they were all racist and walk away.

There are a lot of Revisionists who are trying to defend Lee, saying he wasn't racist, but if you read some of his writing, he quite clearly believes blacks are inferior to whites. The removal of statues of him should continue.

What I am trying to say - badly it seems - is the many of the people who fought and died for the Confederacy were sold a bill of goods by the rich slave owners and the State government - some probably believed in slavery and were fighting for it, while some believed they were fighting to protect the agrarian lifestyle of the south against the "evil industrialists of the North" - a bill of goods.

Anybody in the south who still believes this has been sold a bill of goods as well and they need to do the research and realize the South was Wrong, and do something today to get rid of any of the remaining glorification the Confederacy.

I hear ya wart. And to be clear, I'm not trying to say that you are saying that the Civil War wasn't about slavery. I know you're not saying that. No doubt, many of the soldiers fighting for the Confederacy were not jihadis for slavery. I'm sure most of them considered blacks inferior to whites and thus deserving of being enslaved, but that was the prevailing attitude at the time. They fought because there was a war in their front yard. What were they supposed to do, defect and fight for the Union?

So all the more reason not to venerate the leaders of the Confederacy in statue form. Put up statues to the common soldier if we want to celebrate the little guy. Why are we honoring the ring leaders who sent regular folk off to their deaths to preserve a monstrosity just because it made them rich? Is the the "heritage" that southerners want to be celebrating?

PostPosted: September 20 17, 3:27 pm 
just can't quit you.

G. Keenan wrote:
wart57 wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:
I'm pretty sure no one called it the "war of northern aggression" during the war. That's straight out of the post war lost cause revisionist history.

You are correct - it was used after the war, in most cases long after the war so the non racist people of the South could falsely find reasons to honor those who died in the war. The racist folks didn't care what it was called, and the closet racists embraced this term to try to cover their racism.

Make no mistake the Civil War was about slavery, it is noted in the all the States articles of Secession.

National or regional pride is a funny thing, atrocities will be washed over to make people feel better about themselves.

Not every confederate soldier who fought or died was racist. Most of them probably were - a product of their time.

Nuances are tough, it is just easier to say they were all racist and walk away.

There are a lot of Revisionists who are trying to defend Lee, saying he wasn't racist, but if you read some of his writing, he quite clearly believes blacks are inferior to whites. The removal of statues of him should continue.

What I am trying to say - badly it seems - is the many of the people who fought and died for the Confederacy were sold a bill of goods by the rich slave owners and the State government - some probably believed in slavery and were fighting for it, while some believed they were fighting to protect the agrarian lifestyle of the south against the "evil industrialists of the North" - a bill of goods.

Anybody in the south who still believes this has been sold a bill of goods as well and they need to do the research and realize the South was Wrong, and do something today to get rid of any of the remaining glorification the Confederacy.

I hear ya wart. And to be clear, I'm not trying to say that you are saying that the Civil War wasn't about slavery. I know you're not saying that. No doubt, many of the soldiers fighting for the Confederacy were not jihadis for slavery. I'm sure most of them considered blacks inferior to whites and thus deserving of being enslaved, but that was the prevailing attitude at the time. They fought because there was a war in their front yard. What were they supposed to do, defect and fight for the Union?

So all the more reason not to venerate the leaders of the Confederacy in statue form. Put up statues to the common soldier if we want to celebrate the little guy. Why are we honoring the ring leaders who sent regular folk off to their deaths to preserve a monstrosity just because it made them rich? Is the the "heritage" that southerners want to be celebrating?

I hated all the "South Will Rise again" crap when I lived in Alabama back in the late 90's. The South Lost the War. It was fighting for the right to keep people as property, all other reasons were made up to so some of the people fighting for it had something other than an atrocity to fight for.

Any Glorification of the Confederate leadership is wrong, in my opinion.

PostPosted: October 26 17, 8:25 am 
'Burb Boy

He’s back on his statues [expletive].

PostPosted: October 26 17, 10:37 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

MrCrowesGarden wrote:

The unabashed racists of the GOP

PostPosted: October 26 17, 12:57 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

The unabashed racists of the GOP

Hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

PostPosted: October 27 17, 9:37 am 
Perennial All-Star

I live in an area (eastern Franklin County) that is somewhat rural and somewhat suburban. It is largely white, and very red. I'm sure Trump won my county, probably 80/20 if I had to guess.

In my subdivision, there's this guy who I used to be friends with on Facebook. I had to unfriend him after he said he was "locked and loaded" and ready to go to war to protect statues in our area. I mean, this guy is off the deep end Info Wars crazy.

Anyway, this morning on my way out of my subdivision, this guy's house has a flagpole taller than all our houses with both the US and confederate flags on them. He's former military and I just can't fathom how he thinks it's acceptable in any way to fly these two flags together. It literally does not compute.

Edit: This is the comment that I unfriended him for:
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: October 29 17, 11:28 am 
Hall Of Famer

GeddyWrox wrote:
I live in an area (eastern Franklin County) that is somewhat rural and somewhat suburban. It is largely white, and very red. I'm sure Trump won my county, probably 80/20 if I had to guess.

In my subdivision, there's this guy who I used to be friends with on Facebook. I had to unfriend him after he said he was "locked and loaded" and ready to go to war to protect statues in our area. I mean, this guy is off the deep end Info Wars crazy.

Anyway, this morning on my way out of my subdivision, this guy's house has a flagpole taller than all our houses with both the US and confederate flags on them. He's former military and I just can't fathom how he thinks it's acceptable in any way to fly these two flags together. It literally does not compute.

Was that directed at you?

PostPosted: October 29 17, 12:10 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

GeddyWrox wrote:

Why isn't this guy in jail for making terrorists threats? If he was Muslim he would be.

PostPosted: October 29 17, 1:38 pm 
Perennial All-Star

ghostrunner wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:

Was that directed at you?

Yes, the red part is my first and last name, and it was posted as a comment on a post on my wall about the statues.

PostPosted: October 29 17, 1:40 pm 
Perennial All-Star

IMADreamer wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:

Why isn't this guy in jail for making terrorists threats? If he was Muslim he would be.

I didn't report him. Out here it would've just gotten a shrug. Or worse, I would've been put on some sort of "liberal POS" list.

Edit: I *did* report it to Facebook though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next