GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 20 19, 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:03 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Michael wrote:
My point is that's extremely rare and not something that is remotely mainstream. I don't this is should be a huge concern.

Let's say we lived in a world where we took down these statues and there wasn't a movement to remove other statues like Washington's. Would you be okay with removing these confederate statues or do you have other objections?

I don't have any objections to it. Museums, cemeteries, and battlefields seem like fitting places to put them to me. I do have a problem with them being destroyed by people taking them down on their own. But that's a matter of destructing property nothing to do with what's being defaced.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:04 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Diddy wrote:
Michael wrote:
My point is that's extremely rare and not something that is remotely mainstream. I don't this is should be a huge concern.

Let's say we lived in a world where we took down these statues and there wasn't a movement to remove other statues like Washington's. Would you be okay with removing these confederate statues or do you have other objections?

I don't have any objections to it. Museums, cemeteries, and battlefields seem like fitting places to put them to me. I do have a problem with them being destroyed by people taking them down on their own. But that's a matter of destructing property nothing to do with what's being defaced.

Agree on all counts. I don't have a problem prosecuting those in Durham.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:09 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Diddy wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
Please don't take Gods name in vain, it's very offensive.

Nazis are offensive. People equivocating Hillary Clinton to Trump is offensive. Trump voters are offensive.

Saying "god damn" something is harmless.

No it's not, it is offensive to Christians. You may not be one so you may not care. Is that the message you want to say? If something doesn't bother me then it's not offensive? That seems like the counter argument to these statues being taken down.

There's a huge difference between something ineffectual that a small % of people find offensive and something that is universally deemed offensive. Racism is not in the same ballpark as saying "god" in unholy terms.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:11 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Diddy wrote:
Michael wrote:

Agree on all counts. I don't have a problem prosecuting those in Durham.

I don't think they much care

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:13 pm 
Perennial All-Star

themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:

Nazis are offensive. People equivocating Hillary Clinton to Trump is offensive. Trump voters are offensive.

No it's not, it is offensive to Christians. You may not be one so you may not care. Is that the message you want to say? If something doesn't bother me then it's not offensive? That seems like the counter argument to these statues being taken down.

There's a huge difference between something ineffectual that a small % of people find offensive and something that is universally deemed offensive. Racism is not in the same ballpark as saying "god" in unholy terms.

Your on the right track, it's just a few people, it doesn't matter. It's not as bad. Completely dismissive.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:16 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Diddy wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:

Your on the right track, it's just a few people, it doesn't matter. It's not as bad. Completely dismissive.

That's the point. It's just a few people. I'm perfectly happy not cursing in front of my 90 year old Catholic mother-in-law. I don't want to offend her. I like her. I'm perfectly happy not offending you or your family if I know that you don't like use of that word.

However, for you to take my comment abbreviating it "GD" and then posting a comment that equates the use of "god damn" to the larger discussion of racism as offensive and wrong then you are drawing an equivalency that is stupid and reckless and is demonstrative of the kind of attitudes that have put us in a position with this idiot president. No one was ever hurt from the use of "god damn"--offended, sure, but not actually hurt--whereas racism, from police killing black guys to New School Nazis driving over innocent young women to Old School Nazis wiping out a few million people has kind of hurt a lot of people. If you don't see that, then you are morally and ethically illiterate.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:26 pm 
just can't quit you.

themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
Diddy wrote:

That's the point. It's just a few people. I'm perfectly happy not cursing in front of my 90 year old Catholic mother-in-law. I don't want to offend her. I like her. I'm perfectly happy not offending you or your family if I know that you don't like use of that word.

However, for you to take my comment abbreviating it "GD" and then posting a comment that equates the use of "god damn" to the larger discussion of racism as offensive and wrong then you are drawing an equivalency that is stupid and reckless and is demonstrative of the kind of attitudes that have put us in a position with this idiot president. No one was ever hurt from the use of "god damn"--offended, sure, but not actually hurt--whereas racism, from police killing black guys to New School Nazis driving over innocent young women to Old School Nazis wiping out a few million people has kind of hurt a lot of people. If you don't see that, then you are morally and ethically illiterate.

I find the use of GD as offensive too. I am not equating my offense to it to any of the above atrocities of racism and hatred you mention. I don't think Diddy was either.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:28 pm 
Perennial All-Star

It's not a single issue of the word that leds to problems it's a continued dismissive attitude of telling groups of people that their issues are a false equivalence that leds to something. Even if it is to you it likely isn't to them and the dismissive attitude does nothing but build hostilities. We have an entire thread devoted to christians not acting Christ like. It's not a problem till it pushes someone to far. You using it on grb does bother me but it's not going to push me over the edge. I cuss like a sailor I just don't use that phrase.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:38 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I realize it's hard to see the fault in the equivalencies when you're the one drawing the false equivalencies.

PostPosted: August 17 17, 12:40 pm 
just can't quit you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next