GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 24 19, 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: May 11 18, 11:09 am 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Racism is a myth pushed by liberals. Those are just good, honest people that want to keep everyone safe.

PostPosted: May 11 18, 11:27 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Racism is a myth pushed by liberals. Those are just good, honest people that want to keep everyone safe.

She kept saying that she was calling the police because, even though they were in the designated BBQ area of the park, they should not be using a charcoal grill. Who the hell calls the police for that? First, charcoal is permitted so they weren't even breaking that non-existent prohibition. Second, how else would you grill in the park? Who brings a gas grill to the park?

PostPosted: May 11 18, 11:34 am 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:

She kept saying that she was calling the police because, even though they were in the designated BBQ area of the park, they should not be using a charcoal grill. Who the hell calls the police for that? First, charcoal is permitted so they weren't even breaking that non-existent prohibition. Second, how else would you grill in the park? Who brings a gas grill to the park?

Did the police ever show up? I'd like to see a copy of that report. I hope they spent more time with the caller than the BBQ'ers. Insane. I agree to charging people with a fine or harassment or both for this kind of crap.

PostPosted: May 11 18, 1:21 pm 

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:

Did the police ever show up? I'd like to see a copy of that report. I hope they spent more time with the caller than the BBQ'ers. Insane. I agree to charging people with a fine or harassment or both for this kind of crap.

The police did show up after about 2 hours. They talked to everyone and left. The BBQ'ers continued their BBQ.

I think the police should be able to issue a ticket to the caller in situations like this, for wasting their time and taxpayer money. This kind to thing happens all the time.

The police exist to respond to emergencies and investigate crimes, not to enforce white people's public comfort. Unfortunately, that is what the police are in America, a white comfort enforcement team. We can't have a country in which one group of Americans can use the police as their own personal, taxpayer funded bouncers any time a person of color makes them feel uncomfortable by simply existing.

PostPosted: May 11 18, 1:27 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

pop_haines wrote:

That's a great read, thanks for sharing. Of all places, Pitchfork, whose writing I often find grating, had a great Kanye think piece. The author basically says that the myth of "genius" is what fuels Kanye and that this myth needs to die.

Quote:
he can’t stop, because geniuses don’t stop. What would Steve Jobs have been if he never returned, victorious, from his ignominious exile to Give The People iPods? If West is a genius, then no matter what’s on his mind, he is Onto Something.

A genius can only be misunderstood. A genius can never be wrong, and can only assimilate criticism as “opposition.” A genius is always male—not just a male, but a Great Man, as “genius” has always been more bellow of patriarchal conquest than any kind of descriptor.

Not coincidentally, capitalism loves genius. After all, genius is productive. We locate genius within people, a fixed quality, which makes it a matter of possession and ownership, much like a patent. Feed genius enough money, give it enough space and grant it endless permission, and it will hum along nicely for you until it overheats and breaks down and you can scrap it quietly.

PostPosted: May 11 18, 2:29 pm 
Perennial All-Star

But is he a Stable Genius?

PostPosted: May 11 18, 4:15 pm 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:

The police did show up after about 2 hours. They talked to everyone and left. The BBQ'ers continued their BBQ.

I think the police should be able to issue a ticket to the caller in situations like this, for wasting their time and taxpayer money. This kind to thing happens all the time.

The police exist to respond to emergencies and investigate crimes, not to enforce white people's public comfort. Unfortunately, that is what the police are in America, a white comfort enforcement team. We can't have a country in which one group of Americans can use the police as their own personal, taxpayer funded bouncers any time a person of color makes them feel uncomfortable by simply existing.

I'd worry about trying to solve the problem of over policing by policing the over-policers. Our society has so convinced us that police and punitiveness in general are the only solutions that it's really hard to break out of it.

To your point about white comfort, the reporting around the Eric Garner case found that police understood their role in the neighborhood changing because they needed to support the real estate value of new developments. I don't think that's atypical.

PostPosted: May 11 18, 5:19 pm 

Arthur Dent wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:

I'd worry about trying to solve the problem of over policing by policing the over-policers. Our society has so convinced us that police and punitiveness in general are the only solutions that it's really hard to break out of it.

To your point about white comfort, the reporting around the Eric Garner case found that police understood their role in the neighborhood changing because they needed to support the real estate value of new developments. I don't think that's atypical.

A shift in attitudes would be the ideal way to stop this kind of thing, but how long do people of color have to tolerate this until that happens? And sometimes, depending on the temperament of the officers who respond, they end up dead.

At the very least, police could tell the caller that they won't respond to such a call. There was the episode a couple of weeks ago where a group of white golfers called the police on a group of black women golfers because they were going too slow for their liking. Why did the police even respond to that at all? How is that a police matter?

PostPosted: May 12 18, 8:14 am 
Replies Authoritatively

G. Keenan wrote:
A shift in attitudes would be the ideal way to stop this kind of thing

Yes.

People who feel threatened or unsafe should feel free to call the police so the police can assess the situation.

People who feel threatened or unsafe because there are black people having a gathering, or a black person in their general area, should be ashamed of their stupid [expletive] racism and should knock it off already.

PostPosted: May 14 18, 9:46 am 
Replies Authoritatively

It's anti-woke, this thing Ross Douhat wrote for the Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/opinion/sunday/delusions-of-kanye.html

Quote:
I don’t pretend to know how sincerely the artist sometimes known as Yeezy is flirting with reaction — though I suspect Kanyean Trumpism will end up resembling the “fascism” adopted by David Bowie in his Thin White Duke days. But I do know that his flirtations, in which he’s hung out with the right’s own race hustlers, are not a breakthrough moment for conservatives in their eternal quest to make the black Republican more than just an eccentric and embattled species. Instead, a celebrity who may be doing performance art is exactly the African-American “supporter” the Trump-era right deserves.

This is not because there is no common ground between conservatism and the black community. Indeed, a striking irony of this era is that the potential common ground has arguably increased.

The sociological transformation of the Republican Party into a working-class party means that its base has more in common economically with the average black American than the country-club G.O.P. of yore. The secularization of American society means that the religious right and the churchgoing African-American community share a metaphysical worldview that’s faded elsewhere in our spiritual-but-less-religious nation.

The bolded is the really troubling part. The GOP has transformed to a working-class party? Really?

The GOP is a racist party, not just because of the outright hostilities of the Trump campaign and administration, but because they've been using racism to win elections for a half century. The GOP is a anti-women's rights party, evidenced in the long-held tradition of GOP men being anti-womens reproductive rights, and evidenced by their desire to scale back Title IX. We can safely say the GOP is these things because there is decades-long proof of them doing these things, voting on these issues in a specific way, using certain words and phrases and messages when they campaign.

But we can't say they're a party of the working class. Most important, beyond the race stuff and women stuff and xenophobia, the GOP is a party of the wealthy. They're a party of Paul Ryan's career goal, reached this year, of taking from the poor and giving to the rich. They're the party of Citizens United. They're the party of all that, I'm sure I don't need to list off all the ways that they're demonstrably not the party of Joe Six Pack. That they conned working-class America into voting for Trump two years ago does not mean the GOP has transformed sociologically into a working class party--it means their survival in national elections is dependent on manipulating our least educated and aware, or "woke" to use the parlance of the thread, citizens. Claiming that Black Religious America and White Religious America have the same priorities and worldview is an utterly ignorant claim to make. Just look at the divide between those two bodies in a Senatorial race in Alabama that might as well be known forever as the Roy Moore Referendum. They were bigly divided, but Douhat wants here to appropriate the desires of Black Religious America as his own, and claim that they should be voting GOP since, hey, we are aligned. It's just staggeringly ignorant and I'm shocked the NYT printed this nonsense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next