GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 20 19, 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: May 14 18, 11:11 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

33anda3rd wrote:
It's anti-woke, this thing Ross Douhat wrote for the Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/opinion/sunday/delusions-of-kanye.html

Quote:
I don’t pretend to know how sincerely the artist sometimes known as Yeezy is flirting with reaction — though I suspect Kanyean Trumpism will end up resembling the “fascism” adopted by David Bowie in his Thin White Duke days. But I do know that his flirtations, in which he’s hung out with the right’s own race hustlers, are not a breakthrough moment for conservatives in their eternal quest to make the black Republican more than just an eccentric and embattled species. Instead, a celebrity who may be doing performance art is exactly the African-American “supporter” the Trump-era right deserves.

This is not because there is no common ground between conservatism and the black community. Indeed, a striking irony of this era is that the potential common ground has arguably increased.

The sociological transformation of the Republican Party into a working-class party means that its base has more in common economically with the average black American than the country-club G.O.P. of yore. The secularization of American society means that the religious right and the churchgoing African-American community share a metaphysical worldview that’s faded elsewhere in our spiritual-but-less-religious nation.

The bolded is the really troubling part. The GOP has transformed to a working-class party? Really?

The GOP is a racist party, not just because of the outright hostilities of the Trump campaign and administration, but because they've been using racism to win elections for a half century. The GOP is a anti-women's rights party, evidenced in the long-held tradition of GOP men being anti-womens reproductive rights, and evidenced by their desire to scale back Title IX. We can safely say the GOP is these things because there is decades-long proof of them doing these things, voting on these issues in a specific way, using certain words and phrases and messages when they campaign.

But we can't say they're a party of the working class. Most important, beyond the race stuff and women stuff and xenophobia, the GOP is a party of the wealthy. They're a party of Paul Ryan's career goal, reached this year, of taking from the poor and giving to the rich. They're the party of Citizens United. They're the party of all that, I'm sure I don't need to list off all the ways that they're demonstrably not the party of Joe Six Pack. That they conned working-class America into voting for Trump two years ago does not mean the GOP has transformed sociologically into a working class party--it means their survival in national elections is dependent on manipulating our least educated and aware, or "woke" to use the parlance of the thread, citizens. Claiming that Black Religious America and White Religious America have the same priorities and worldview is an utterly ignorant claim to make. Just look at the divide between those two bodies in a Senatorial race in Alabama that might as well be known forever as the Roy Moore Referendum. They were bigly divided, but Douhat wants here to appropriate the desires of Black Religious America as his own, and claim that they should be voting GOP since, hey, we are aligned. It's just staggeringly ignorant and I'm shocked the NYT printed this nonsense.

Sure Ross. And the GOP base would have a lot in common with Hispanics, too, if it weren't for the whole racist, show me your papers, mass deportation, ask about citizenship on the census, deny federal funding to sanctuary cities, separate mothers and children at the border thing.

Working class whites -- a group of people long known for their racially progressive views.

PostPosted: May 14 18, 11:31 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Yeah, exactly, on the cultural appropriation scale the GOP claiming black religious folks as their type falls somewhere worse than the white girls who do bedroom ukulele renditions of hip-hop songs for attention and clicks and YouTube follows.

PostPosted: May 14 18, 11:42 am 
Hall Of Famer

This part pissed me off the most:
Quote:
Second, conservatives who want black Americans to give their policies a new hearing should repudiate policies that on the margins tend to disenfranchise black voters.

If you’re telling African-Americans that their current political leadership is failing them, don’t package that message with the exaggerations about “urban” voter fraud that too many Republicans have propagated. If you want people to consider joining your coalition, act like you want to compete for their vote, not just discourage them from voting.

On the [expletive] margins? Disenfranchising black people was done 100% by design, not some weird side effect "on the margins"

PostPosted: May 14 18, 11:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

This is all based on some Kanye tweets, mind you.

Which were provoked by Kendrick Lamar winning a Pulitzer.

Kidding about the last part, but it was interesting timing.

PostPosted: May 14 18, 12:32 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

ghostrunner wrote:
This is all based on some Kanye tweets, mind you.

Apparently, unlike mass shootings undertaken by white men, Kanye displaying extreme mental instability is not the time to talk about mental health if you're a white conservative columnist. It's the time to talk about how black men should be GOP voters.

PostPosted: May 22 18, 3:28 pm 
'Burb Boy

https://twitter.com/RacismDog

PostPosted: May 30 18, 10:33 am 
Hall Of Famer

This was a pretty good article/interview:

As Starbucks trains on implicit bias, the author of 'White Fragility' gets real
Quote:
'White privilege' has become a commonly used term, but what about white people who've suffered hardships?
"It’s not that white people don’t face barriers. What I’m saying is you have not faced this one [racism]. And not facing this one has helped you navigate your other ones."

"This was a struggle with my students [who said], 'Well, I’m queer. I’m Jewish. I have a disability. I’m not privileged.' ... I think [they need to hear it] from somebody who shared their identity. ... I have moved people forward who were raised poor or working class and could not own racial privilege by sharing how I came to understand mine. … I did it by sharing my own experience as someone who grew up in poverty. While I have struggled with a deep sense of class shame and the message that I was 'less than,' I still always knew that I was white and that made me 'better than' poor people of color. In fact, being white has helped me escape poverty. No one looks at me and assumes I don’t belong in academia, but my colleagues of color can’t say the same. The question that white people need to ask ourselves is not if we were shaped by the forces of racism, but how."

You say white progressives 'cause the most daily damage to people of color.' Why?
"White progressives create the daily climate that people of color must function within. We are the co-workers and friends who people of color so often cannot share their perspectives and experiences with, or talk to us about our problematic racial assumptions and patterns, because we are so confident that we don't have any problematic racial assumptions and patterns.

We are the ones most likely to be in people of color's lives in some way, and yet most white progressives, despite our confidence that we are free of racism, do not understand how race shapes our own lives. ... That obliviousness and ignorance is not benign or innocent, and when coupled with complacency, certitude and arrogance — 'I already know all this!' — creates a rather miserable daily experience for people of color."

PostPosted: July 24 18, 12:09 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Moving post by Shaun King today, copied here for those who don't follow him on social media.

https://www.facebook.com/shaunking/posts/1909639775741598

Quote:
As you may know, on late Sunday evening, while riding the train in Oakland, a white man targeted two young Black women on the train, without ever saying a word to them, and killed one – a beautiful young soul named Nia Wilson, an 18 year old high school student, and critically injured her sister – stabbing and slashing them both with a knife – then simply walking away.

I spent all day yesterday doing everything I could to make this story into national news and was prepared this morning to come on and talk about how we needed to work harder to find Nia’s killer, but I am glad to report that at about 6pm West Coast time, John Lee Cowell, a brutal man with a history of violence across his entire life, was arrested and charged with Nia’s murder.

I wanna comment on a few things about this case that grieve me.

Nia Wilson, above all, was a teenage girl. She was a high school senior – the exact same age of my oldest daughter. And yesterday, after just a few hours of sharing her story, I saw something truly sick starting to unfold. First, a local news station in the Bay Area shared an image of Nia holding what looked like a gun. Why did they share that image? What were they trying to convey? And, as it turns out, she wasn’t holding a gun in that image, it was a cell phone case with a gun handle. It was a basically a gag – and the local news showed it like it said something about Nia’s character. She literally posted nearly 1,000 wonderful photos of her life on Instagram and Facebook, and they chose that one.

Even in death, local news media finds a way to demean us. It’s why I believe so much in having our own outlets, our own platforms, our own morning shows, where we define our own stories and narratives without that type of ugliness.

Secondly, last night in Oakland thousands of people, including members of Nia’s own family, showed up to her outdoor vigil. Now I don’t need to explain this to our listeners, but this was a moment of pain, and grief, and support. And white supremacists from the group Proud Boys, wearing red Make American Great Again hats, literally showed up to interrupt the vigil.

Let me pause right here for a moment.

Never – in the entire history of this country – will you find an example of white people coming together to grieve the brutal murder of their loved one – the day after it happened – only to have their grief physically interrupted by belligerent Black folk telling them that they are worthless. It’s never happened. It never will happen.

How cruel, how evil, how heartless, how crass, how foul do you have to be, how rotten must you be from the inside out, how dry and dead must your soul be – to have the idea that you want to interrupt grieving people and demean them the day after their loved one was murdered?

I wanna linger here for a moment because I think it gives us a real glimpse into the sick psychology of exactly who we are dealing with and fighting against. They interrupt our grief because they don’t even really see us as fully human.

Let me close with this final thought.

This morning I saw the video of the arrest of John Lee Cowell. Police don’t draw their guns. They don’t slam him to the concrete and put their knees into his back while putting on his handcuffs. They don’t Taser him. They don’t choke him.

You’d think they were arresting a man for writing a bad check or stealing a shirt from a department store.

And so often after we see a horrible incident of police brutality against Black folk, we talk about how American police need more training and better training. I’ve said that myself, but police show us over and over and over again – with white men who are considered armed and dangerous – who’ve just brutally murdered people – that they are fully willing and able to remain calm, and cool, and collected, and methodical – whenever they feel like it.

All these years we thought they needed to be trained on how to make a peaceful arrest – and it turns out they’re great at it – even with the most vicious and violent murderers – if they’re white.

We’re not saying that the police should’ve beaten or choked or shot or maimed or Tasered this man, we’re saying that we want unarmed, non-violent Black folk to get the same treatment American police are so willing able to give dangerous white murderers.

PostPosted: July 24 18, 1:21 pm 
Perennial All-Star

YES

PostPosted: August 1 18, 9:36 am 
Perennial All-Star

Going to cross post this in long reads too, but damn this is a GREAT read.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... mmigration

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next