GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 20 19, 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: August 14 19, 2:31 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

The 1619 Project

Damn good writing in this series of essays.

PostPosted: September 9 19, 9:20 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The Most Racist People Are Also The Most Likely To Underestimate Their Racism
Quote:
In 2016, then-presidential candidate Donald Trump famously proclaimed: "I am the least racist person you have ever met." That statement could, of course, be an outright falsehood. But it could also be an example of a prideful man who is motivated to lie to himself.

New research points to a third possibility. It finds that a lot of people underestimate their inherent racism and sexism because they never developed the mental skills required to recognize their own prejudices.

"Egalitarianism can be conceptualized as a skill, or type of confidence," write Keon West of the University of London and Asia Eaton of Florida International University. Looked at in that way, avoiding racism and sexism "is not merely a matter of willingness, but also a matter of ability."

And as with many abilities, we tend to greatly overestimate how good we are at it. That self-delusion is known as the Dunning-Kruger Effect, and since its conception in 1999, it has been applied to a wide variety of domains, from driving skills to the quality of decisions made by physicians.

Quote:
In the journal Personality and Individual Differences, West and Eaton provide evidence that the Dunning-Kruger Effect also applies to one's ability to remain impartial. They find that the most prejudiced people are also the most likely to underestimate how biased they are.

The first of their studies featured 148 people "recruited through their involvement in a voluntary racism-related diversity-training program aimed at graduate students in London." Just under 80 percent were white.

At the beginning of the program, all participants indicated, on a scale of zero to 99, "how egalitarian you are about race compared to the other people in the program," and compared to other people in the United Kingdom. They also took tests designed to measure their conscious and unconscious racism (the latter was judged using Project Implicit's Black vs. White Implicit Associations Test).

Finally, they took part in a two-hour diversity training session, and then retook the tests to determine if it the training had had a measurable impact.

The researchers report that, on average, "participants rated their racial egalitarianism as being in the 75th percentile," and assumed they were less prejudiced than three-quarters of their peers. "The least egalitarian participants were also the ones that overestimated their egalitarianism the most," they add.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 9:09 am 
Perennial All-Star

That article nails several of the most racist people I've had to disconnect from on social media. They all said terrible things, but because they didn't use the N word and had a black friend at some point in their life, they were the least racist person ever. Way more "unracist" than me, because apparently my views wanted to keep the black folk in poverty and they just wanted them to pick themselves up by their bootstraps like every good honest hard working white person has had to do.

UGH. [expletive] them. I wish I could do more than just unfriend them.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 9:15 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Geddy, I don't think there's anything you can do, unfortunately. I don't think you can talk them out of it on the internet, or in person, I don't think Love Conquers Hate and they just need to be shown love, I don't think they can be reasoned with, I don't think you can take them to Detroit and go "see? See what systemic racism does to non-white people?", I don't think you can take them to the border and go "See? See what hate does to families?" and open their eyes to reality. We can just hope their kids grow up at least a little less lousy.

PostPosted: September 10 19, 9:56 am 
Perennial All-Star

I know, 33. That's why I gave up and cut them off. One of them was my wife's cousin, who really shocked me. I really expected better from him. Another was a long time friend of mine that I had met at my first IT job waaaay back when. Another is the guy in my neighborhood who I've posted about in the past. This guy is a real piece of work. Cutting him off was no loss at all, other than the fact that he is now a trustee in my subdivision and I have him completely blocked, so I can't see his posts in the subdivision group page. But still not losing any sleep over that douchebag.

PostPosted: September 27 19, 9:30 am 
Hall Of Famer

Found a podcast which is a treasure trove of great stuff. They have one 12 episode season that explores how we got patriarchy and how it is reinforced and perpetuated. And there is a 14 episode season that explores the origins and reinforcement of white supremacy.
Patriarchy: http://www.sceneonradio.org/men/
White supremacy: https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/

I'm listening to the patriarchy one. It's fascinating how as early as the 1850s activists were advocating for voting rights and other equal rights for both women and black people. The 15th amendment that gave black men the right to vote was a way to divide that movement. It got enough black men to quiet down about equal rights for women that it set back women's rights decades. And I mean, I'm not really blaming them. It's so rare to get a chance to make any progress, and getting the right to vote is huge. But this is how the sausage is made. Even more fascinating though was going back into early history and learning about where patriarchy came from in the first place, and how it survived the Enlightenment and other challenges to it throughout time. Humanity has existed for about 200,000 years and patriarchy has only existed about 10,000 years. So a better world is possible.

Also worth watching:

PostPosted: September 29 19, 10:53 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: September 29 19, 9:15 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:

Just the person I trust to take on that topic.

PostPosted: September 29 19, 10:11 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:

When he says "the answer is not putting more white people in Twitter jail" around the 1:40 mark or so, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree. Fascists and white supremacists should absolutely be put in Twitter jail.

He and his buddies that are against "political correctness" always take the most ridiculous examples, blow them out of proportion and/or take them out of context...and then paint the whole left wing with that brush so they don't gotta engage with the actual issues they are talking about

PostPosted: October 1 19, 8:40 am 
Hall Of Famer

This is one episode of that podcast I was pumping earlier. It's about military culture in the USA. They start by talking about women's experiences in the military. So at first it seemed like they were going to argue that we need to simply make the military more diverse and welcoming to minorities and women - a kinder, gentler war machine. But if you listen to the end they end up with some very different and very unexpected conclusions. Good stuff. This one illustrates extremely well how men are also victims in this whole mess.

http://www.sceneonradio.org/episode-52- ... en-part-6/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next