GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 10 19, 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tax Reform
PostPosted: January 30 19, 9:54 am 
bronoun enthusiast

That clip is perfect.

PostPosted: January 30 19, 9:58 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

People are so dumb, buying into the idea that taxes are bad.

Taxes are agnostic. They are one side of the ledger.

PostPosted: January 30 19, 4:44 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Top GOP senators propose repealing estate tax, which is expected to be paid by fewer than 2,000 Americans a year

Everyone should have to do an honest day's work to earn a living, unless you win the birth lottery

PostPosted: January 30 19, 6:06 pm 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
Top GOP senators propose repealing estate tax, which is expected to be paid by fewer than 2,000 Americans a year

Everyone should have to do an honest day's work to earn a living, unless you win the birth lottery

Should we disfigure people who win the attractive birth lottery?

What about lobotomys on those born with high iq’s?

PostPosted: January 30 19, 6:20 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Diddy wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

the [expletive]?

PostPosted: January 31 19, 10:00 am 
tl;dr

Diddy wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

Having a high IQ doesn't grant you wealth on its own, you actually have to use that high IQ to make your way in the world to get anything. Being a genius according to an IQ test means nothing if you're lazy. Unless you are born wealthy and inherit a bunch of money. Then being a genius still has nothing to do with you being in the 1% and being lazy probably helps you stay in that 1% by not actively taking risks that could lose your inherited wealth.

What does being born attractive have to do with anything either? Are you trying to imply that if you're born hot in a trailer park that you can get into the 1% as easily as a hot heir/heiress? Being hot doesn't guarantee anything (but there are admittedly built in advantages in the way others treat you). You may have a better chance at marrying somebody who's rich but even then you still have to work for it by basically whoring yourself out for money in many cases. Just to even meet that rich spouse you have to get out of the trailer park, work to look nice (clothes, hair, etc.) and get yourself in the right place at the right time to meet that rich person since rich people looking for trophy husbands/wives aren't exactly trolling the trailer parks looking for potential.

The only way being born hot makes the odds of reaching the 1% significantly better is if you are born female, white, blonde, skinny and willing to spew outright lies and racist BS on TV for Fox News day in and day out.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 10:17 am 
Hall Of Famer

Diddy wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

I want everyone to be able to have the opportunity to reach their full human potential. So.....no. I'm only asking that people not be born into abject poverty that will make it a lot harder for them to reach their full potential.

Also, like, taxing a billionaire so that they can "only" pass down a couple hundred million to their kids....their kids are still going to be richer than all of us even with a high inheritance tax.

I also think there is some evidence that being born into extreme wealth can be bad for someone. That's why we now have the word affluenza to describe the kids of insanely rich people. Literally everyone, including the rich kids, would be better off if kids were not born into obscene wealth. I don't want them to be poor, just not obscenely wealthy.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 10:31 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

My kid knows all she is inheriting from me are exceptional good looks, and a way with canines. If I had a fortune to pass down, dems would just take it away. and then who knows what?

You know how dems are, when your wealth isn't enough to swipe, they will take away your genetic traits too.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 10:41 am 
tl;dr

Freed Roger wrote:
My kid knows all she is inheriting from me are exceptional good looks, and a way with canines. If I had a fortune to pass down, dems would just take it away. You know how dems are.

Off topic but still a story I like. Years ago my parents had just lost the house to foreclosure and divorced. Financially they were both in lots of debt and just a general mess when it came to money after putting everything they had into opening my dad's auto repair shop.

One day he asked me to do him a favor and I felt like messing with him so I refused. He said that if I didn't, he'd write me out of the will and leave everything to my brother. I just looked at him for a moment and said, "So if I don't do this then you'll write me out of your will... and I won't owe anything when you die?" He looked at me for a second and just and replied, "OK, so you are back in the will and you're brother is out if you don't do it."

I was going to do him the favor regardless and I did do it by the way. He's just fun to mess with like that and has a good sense of humor.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 10:49 am 
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:
My kid knows all she is inheriting from me are exceptional good looks, and a way with canines. If I had a fortune to pass down, dems would just take it away. and then who knows what?

You know how dems are, when your wealth isn't enough to swipe, they will take away your genetic traits too.

To me the reasoning behind taking away someone’s money because they won a “birth lottery” is just as absurd as everyone thinks my comment was. That was my point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 65  Next