GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 18 19, 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tax Reform
PostPosted: January 31 19, 11:37 am 
Hall Of Famer

Diddy wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
My kid knows all she is inheriting from me are exceptional good looks, and a way with canines. If I had a fortune to pass down, dems would just take it away. and then who knows what?

You know how dems are, when your wealth isn't enough to swipe, they will take away your genetic traits too.

To me the reasoning behind taking away someone’s money because they won a “birth lottery” is just as absurd as everyone thinks my comment was. That was my point.

So just to be clear: you think it is absurd that we'd ask rich people to earn their wealth?

When someone has a billion dollars, they didn't earn it by working. They just owned the right assets, and profited from other people working and making those assets more valuable. Like maybe you could try to argue that Jeff Bezos worked his ass off and truly did earn that first couple billion. I disagree, but OK. Once you have a couple billion, it's extremely easy to make the 3rd, 4th, 5th billion and so on. All without working, just through investing.

Let's say Bezos is worth $100 billion for simplicity (it's actually a lot more than that). Let's assume that he does no tax gimmicks when he dies, and is unable to shield any of that money and property from an inheritance tax (extremely unlikely). I read a thing that Bernie was proposing a 77% inheritance tax rate. Even at that high of a rate, his 4 kids would still have $23 billion to divide up, and would still be among the wealthiest people in the world. And that's nearly a worst case scenario for them. And they will get that even if they don't work a day in their lives.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 11:51 am 
bronoun enthusiast

lukethedrifter wrote:
People are so dumb, buying into the idea that taxes are bad.

Taxes are agnostic. They are one side of the ledger.

This was literally on the same page as you guys started to get twisted about raising taxes on the wealthy again.

This is all that needs to be said. The super wealthy are not getting their money "taken from them." They get plenty in return, including a more just society that isn't going to end up with their coked up fail sons getting mobbed by an angry, working class mob.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 2:52 pm 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
My kid knows all she is inheriting from me are exceptional good looks, and a way with canines. If I had a fortune to pass down, dems would just take it away. and then who knows what?

You know how dems are, when your wealth isn't enough to swipe, they will take away your genetic traits too.

To me the reasoning behind taking away someone’s money because they won a “birth lottery” is just as absurd as everyone thinks my comment was. That was my point.

So just to be clear: you think it is absurd that we'd ask rich people to earn their wealth?

Yes I think it’s absurd that you have this issue with someone inheriting their money.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 6:01 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Diddy wrote:
Yes I think it’s absurd that you have this issue with someone inheriting their money.

1 - It's not "their" money, it WAS "their family's" money.
2 - Nobody cares that they're inheriting a [expletive] ton of money. Just saying they should be taxed on it at an appropriate rate.

Republicans making people believe they're "this close" to being "rich" is absolutely incredible.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 6:14 pm 
Perennial All-Star

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Diddy wrote:

1 - It's not "their" money, it WAS "their family's" money.
2 - Nobody cares that they're inheriting a [expletive] ton of money. Just saying they should be taxed on it at an appropriate rate.

Republicans making people believe they're "this close" to being "rich" is absolutely incredible.

1. They should be able to pass it to their family.
2. No one is wanting it taxed at an appropriate rate, they are arguing for it to be taxed at an exorbitant rate.

My, and many others belief about what’s right has nothing to do with our financial standing. I make well less then average, if I was worried about being rich I’d have a different profession.

Democrats buying votes with others peoples money is incredible.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 6:50 pm 

You don't see people do things like that because it's right anymore. Truly amazing.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 6:56 pm 

PostPosted: January 31 19, 6:56 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Some perspective -I think this was mentioned in forum post earlier. estimated that only 2,000 annual estates are liable for estate tax under current laws. Which is .00074 of the 2.7 million people estimated deaths per annum.

Trustafarians are safe in America. Wyatt Koch can still keep his shirt business.

PostPosted: January 31 19, 7:07 pm 

First they came for the billionaires, and I said nothing...

PostPosted: January 31 19, 7:13 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

If i win the powerball, I have to pay taxes on my winnings. NO FAIR!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 65  Next