GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: April 4 18, 10:09 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Not going to put in poll because too vast

Public Education? Race relations? Healthcare? Public lands? Free press? Equal rights? Climate change and environment? Global relations and standing? Relations with neighbors Canada and Mexico? The deficit? The budget? The economy? The military? Government agencies -i.e the FBI. The Constitution/democracy itself? The truth, facts and rule of law? US belief in itself and fellow citizens?

Or the blowback fallout - to the GOP. Christianity. Conservatism?

PostPosted: April 5 18, 1:48 am 
Hall Of Famer

Democracy itself. We've crossed our Rubicon. And the shocking thing it was so damned easy for Trump to destroy it. No real opposition.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 5:10 am 
Perennial All-Star

This administration certainly appears to be on track for being one of the most consequential administrations in US history.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 7:04 am 
Hall Of Famer

The environment for the time being, and especially if he gets his way on emissions. I'd throw public lands in with that. He's sold some of those off. Allowed coal ash to be dumped in rivers again. He's re-prioritized fossil fuel and done favors for that industry, while putting a damper on renewables. Opened up offshore drilling. States have pushed back on a lot of this, but the whole approach is damaging. I think he's gone beyond what a "normal" Republican would do, simply because he has no shame or concern about even looking like he cares.

The other stuff is more fixable, and I think could arguably end up better off just because of the reaction. A lot of the institutions and norms or whatever seem to have been a sham this whole time - again that's useful information.

Tough to say the prejudice/bigotry isn't long term damage, but I think it mostly just brought that out into the open. Which I also think could potentially end up a net positive.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 8:29 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Democracy itself. We've crossed our Rubicon. And the shocking thing it was so damned easy for Trump to destroy it. No real opposition.

This. If nothing else, his administration has shown how accepting Americans are of thinly veiled fascism. If a clearly incompetent fool like Trump is able to get Americans to buy into this, I shudder at the thought of an actual intelligent and conniving politician applying his same tactics.

Maybe it is all just due to Trump's unique cult of personality, where he has been able to dupe stupid people for decades. But somehow I doubt it.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 8:37 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

There is a saying I have come to believe "It is easier to get back to a place you have already been."

Usually it is used as a positive outlook. We have been good/decentt before, and will remember how to get back there if we persist.

However, we have gone to new lows in post modern US. It will just as easy to regress to this point... Find our way back here to this point where facts don't matter etc etc.

Assuming we get out these dark ages (again -a modern version of darkness- in no way do I equate this to slavery and killing of native Americans) it will be interesting how milleniells and next generation react to inevitable calamities the country faces. What happens if there are cops killed by POC? What happens on cyclical economic downturn/depression? Race riots? What when we get attacked or terrorism occurs?

Will people have faith in the process of democracy or even remember when it worked? If this lasts long enough, most people will have never been to the decent place we supposedly could go back to.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 8:41 am 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
There is a saying I have come to beleive "It is easier to get back to a place you have already been."

Usually it is used as a positive outlook. We have been good/decentt before, and will remember how to get back there if we persist.

However, we have gone to new lows in post modern US. It will just as easy to regress to this point... Find our way back here to this point where facts don't matter etc etc.

Assuming we get out these dark ages (again -a modern version of darkness- in no way do I equate this to slavery and killing of native Americans) it will be interesting how milleniells and next generation react to inevitable calamities the country faces. What happens if their are cops killed by POC? What happens on cyclical economic downturn/depression? What when we get attacked or terrorism occurs?

Will people have faith in the process of democracy or even remember when it worked?

What I've come to is that it apparently didn't deserve to have faith put into it. Meaning you can't just set it and forget it.

One of the reasons I've been liking Gillibrand is that she's shown a willingness to change her position based on constituents. People think that's a flaw, but I'm done thinking any politician is inherently good or noble. I want one who responds to pressure and can articulate why. I want a system that responds to pressure, and I want citizens that apply it (including myself of course).

PostPosted: April 5 18, 9:30 am 
Everday Unicorn

I think his lasting damage is to the notion of truth and ascertainable knowledge itself. He's the perfect leader for the internet age, where we have retreated into informational bubbles of self selection. He gets on Twitter and lies - demonstrably lies! - then says that it's the fact-tellers who are the REAL liars. The media.

AND PEOPLE BELIEVE IT.

This isn't just a dumbing-down effect. It's something more sinister. It's an attack on information and knowledge. It's a demonstration that all we really need are our own insane opinions and we can ignore reality.

The next Trump probably won't be a moron. The next Trump will be much better at all of this than Trump. And the playbook is now wide open: Attack the press, attack critics, attack knowledge, and provide your own alternative reality.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 9:56 am 
Hall Of Famer

pop_haines wrote:
Agree.

Democracy and Rule of Law have been nuked.

Although Democracy was already threatened with
the SCOTUS Citizens United vs FEC decision.

And the utter lack of consequences for the banks and corporations responsible for the housing crisis.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 10:18 am 
Replies Authoritatively

heyzeus wrote:
I think his lasting damage is to the notion of truth and ascertainable knowledge itself. He's the perfect leader for the internet age, where we have retreated into informational bubbles of self selection. He gets on Twitter and lies - demonstrably lies! - then says that it's the fact-tellers who are the REAL liars. The media.

AND PEOPLE BELIEVE IT.

This isn't just a dumbing-down effect. It's something more sinister. It's an attack on information and knowledge. It's a demonstration that all we really need are our own insane opinions and we can ignore reality.

The next Trump probably won't be a moron. The next Trump will be much better at all of this than Trump. And the playbook is now wide open: Attack the press, attack critics, attack knowledge, and provide your own alternative reality.

This is a really big one.

There's also the normalization of racism which is deeply troubling. Lots of hateful wackos emboldened to come out of the shadows and make their white nationalism/nazism/racism public in a very outspoken way is really pretty gross. I figured in my lifetime I'd see a flunky get the run of the education department and try to gut it because it's happened before, but I never thought I'd see a POTUS who encourages and supports nazis. That's really [expletive] up.

The stuff the government has done under Trump--tariffs, emissions regulations being stripped, the amateur education secretary politicizing public education--can and will all be turned back.

On the bright side, the Trump era has brought us #metoo and an army of teenagers being politically active in a way I haven't seen in my lifetime. It's upped subscriptions to real news and donations to non-profits that support journalism by those of us who understand the need for a free press. It's made major news organizations like CNN review the idea of having 'balance' on their panels via putting crazy talking heads on the air. It's already given us a Dem Senator from Alabama and a sweeping anti-Trump mentality in state house elections, mid-term primaries, and special elections with some progressives gaining ground and some Democrats taking red seats. There is definitely a silver lining in this temporary cloud, it's just up to us to do the right thing in 2020 so we can see the federal government un-f the f-ed up things Trump's crew have done.