GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 16 18, 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: October 3 17, 8:57 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-takes-up-wisconsin-as-first-test-in-partisan-gerrymandering-claims/2017/10/03/4349b5de-a82a-11e7-b3aa-c0e2e1d41e38_story.html?utm_term=.b2966ca88adc
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday will consider whether a state’s legislative maps are so politically skewed to favor one party that they violate the Constitution.

The justices have never thrown out a state’s maps because of partisan gerrymandering. But challengers from Wisconsin say they have the evidence that Republican leaders of their state drew maps to ensure enduring GOP control of the legislature, and a test for deciding when political advantage goes too far.

The outcome could change the way American elections are conducted. Wisconsin officials say if their maps, which follow traditional redistricting standards, are illegal, dozens of state plans will need to be thrown out.

PostPosted: October 3 17, 8:59 am 
99% conan clips

oh geez i hope we don't get screwed any further this year. i think the SC has several big cases coming up

PostPosted: October 3 17, 8:59 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Gorsuch.

PostPosted: October 3 17, 9:09 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Gee I wonder which way the stolen supreme court will rule?

PostPosted: October 3 17, 9:14 am 

lukethedrifter wrote:
Gorsuch.

yep. I'm pessimistic.

a win for WI GOP here could mean not only does anything go wrt gerrymandering - but it is sanctioned by the courts.
Quote:
[WISCONSIN]In the election held after the new district maps were adopted, Republican candidates got just 48.6 percent of the statewide vote, but captured a 60-to-39 seat advantage in the State Assembly.

Evidence uncovered during lawsuits over the redistricting found that models showed Democrats would have to win about 53 percent of the statewide vote to capture a bare majority of the seats.

A factor on gerrymandering to keep in mind - with mapping and database technology (since 2000) and self-segregating -it is on steroids,

PostPosted: October 3 17, 9:34 am 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:
oh geez i hope we don't get screwed any further this year. i think the SC has several big cases coming up

I've resigned myself to the country going full fascist before anything positive happens. The right will destroy themselves and the country with it before the middle will get control back.

PostPosted: October 3 17, 9:38 am 
Perennial All-Star

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

I've resigned myself to the country going full fascist before anything positive happens. The right will destroy themselves and the country with it before the middle will get control back.

JUST WAIT U GUYS.

JUST WAIT

PostPosted: October 3 17, 9:39 am 

7 things to know about redistricting
https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/7-things-know-about-redistricting

PostPosted: October 3 17, 9:50 am 

Gerrymandering plays up the importance of what party controls things after each decade's census , And lurking in the background is this. threat to 2020 census -warning! large photo of an arsehole on top of article.

Cut funding and/or exert pressure on census bureau. Make it harder to count people. Especially certain people that are harder to pin down because they are on the move because of jobs, age, or afraid of this particular government counting them. Even more weight given to the static folk, and people that have no problem checking the boxes that indicate they are on top of the food chain.

my pessimism runneth over.

PostPosted: October 3 17, 1:44 pm 

some info on the arguments. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-election/supreme-court-justices-divided-in-major-voting-rights-case-idUSKCN1C81P2?il=0 Kennedy, could be the key.

Sounds like a majority of SC recognizes there is a problem -(presumably a Constitutional one) but they may not be interested in setting a precedent for deciding which districts are fairly drawn or not. In other words, it could come down to partisanship, plus laziness. If the SC doesn't stop this extreme corruption of voting where it's not -one citizen represented anywhere near one vote - then how does this [expletive] show work going forward?